New to the absinthe world

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: New to the absinthe world
By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 06:22 pm: Edit

"Every little girl needs
a daddy like Charlie!"

The Girls

By Meat_Nipples on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Yeah I always have a problem with bats when I treat my heart condition using the Hunter S. method. "That poor bastard will see them soon enough".
Did I just say that, or only think it? You know, this message board was the last known home of the Manson family. Did Tyler make that grim connection?

By Petermarc on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 02:49 pm: Edit

i have a heart condition, so i went to get advice from dr. hunter s. thompson...

By Bob_Chong on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 08:24 am: Edit

"I normally use a condom, but I figured, 'Hey, when am I gonna be back in Haiti.'"

Bad Idea Jeans

By Petermarc on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 11:10 am: Edit

reminds me of a jeans commercial on saturday night live...

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 08:37 am: Edit

Hmmm? Never did hear from Tyler again did we?
Hope he's allright.

By Timk on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Is it my memory, or do they use beta blockers to treat Neurally Mediated Hypertension? - Thats what my grandmother had been diagnosed with when i had to miss the uk meet Marc, she kept fainting. Ill dig out the paperwork and have a look.

Tim

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 04:09 pm: Edit

At 10 mg/kg (the UE limit) in a 140-proof liquor, you get about .38 mg of thujone in a 1.5 fl oz dose of absinthe. That's 380 micrograms. That dose of _stychnine_ wouldn't even hurt you. You would have to be taking something as potent as LSD or hydromorphone to get any effect at all.

In studies of mice, they found that thujone only began to produce noticible effects (primarily dulling the pain reaction) at doses of 6.5mg/kg of body weight. For a 150 pound human, that's 443 mg, or more than 1100 drinks! The lethal dose of alpha-thujone for 150-pound man would be nearly six GRAMS. Even if you were sloggng down Absinth King Gold (and their claim of 100 mg/kg were true) the alcohol (not to mention the taste) would kill you before the thujone did anything.

By Anatomist1 on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:36 am: Edit

By most reasonable estimations, there is barely any thujone in the absinthe you can buy now. It might be a different story when the Jade stuff comes out. There was a study posted somewhere a while back that summarized studies done with large doses of thujone on mice or rats. I think it eventually built up in their systems and produced seizures, not heart attacks, but it was in huge doses, and they aren't humans. Perhaps you should be more cautious if your heart condition has to do with ennervation rather than circulation.

The bottom line is that you're on your own. I doubt a doctor will give you any informed advice -- except to say 'don't risk it' just to play it safe.

K.

By Heiko on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 09:52 am: Edit

Does absinthe increase heart-rate? I don't think so. The anise, maybe...

By Verawench on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 08:46 am: Edit

What's a thujone?

By Artemis on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 08:22 am: Edit

What thujone?

By Marc on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 11:47 pm: Edit

tyler,

welcome to the forum.

I've experienced severe rapid heartbeat (paroxysmal atrial tachycardia) after drinking too much alcohol, any alcohol. I was actually hospitalized for it. I've never had a problem with absinthe. Primarily because I drink absinthe moderately. I don't know what your heart problem is, but I suggest you experiment with small quantities of absinthe and listen to your body. I can't imagine that the tiny amounts of thujone in commercial absinthe would harm you. But, I'm no doctor.

By Marc on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 11:47 pm: Edit

tyler,

welcome to the forum.

I've experienced severe rapid heartbeat (paroxysmal atrial tachycardia) after drinking too much alcohol, any alcohol. I was actually hospitalized for it. I've never had a problem with absinthe. Primarily because I drink absinthe moderately. I don't know what your heart problem is, but I suggest you experiment with small quantities of absinthe and listen to your body. I can't imagine that the tiny amounts of thujone in commercial absinthe would harm you. But, I'm no doctor.

By Tyler on Tuesday, July 17, 2001 - 10:12 pm: Edit

I have not tryed any form of absinthe yet...can't wait to tho! Question- have a heart condition, however my doctor DOES permit my usage of alcohol, I wonder if the thujone is a bad idea? Anyone have a clue?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation