Absinto Camargo ICE - new product

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Absinto Camargo ICE - new product
By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 04:17 pm: Edit

I'll email you Mario.

By Mario on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 12:21 pm: Edit

Head Prosthesis,

Mario is here to answer your questions.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 07:08 pm: Edit

Actually, Head, I got a response. It was during the strange time, a couple weeks ago, when everything went haywire.

If you put the question back, I'm sure Mario will answer.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 07:01 pm: Edit

So has anyone?

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 10:43 am: Edit

So. Has anyone ever gotten a response from the Absinto Camargo folks?

I emailed them soon after this thread was started and haven't heard anything. Does email from Head_prosthesis scare people?

By Dr_Ordinaire on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Oba, Mario!

Congratulations on your new venture. May it be prolific and profitable.

You may want to do some marketing research before calling your product "Absinto". We sophisticated Forumites know that that's Portuguese for absinthe, but for most people anything that is called anything but absinthe is a fake. As in "Absente".

Just the name "Camargo" would be enough to determine an origin. And in any case, being Brazilian would not be a big advantage in the absinthe market. What I mean is, if I were to market, say, maple syrup, I would choose a name that make people think of Canada, not Costa Rica. Brazil has no absinthe history to speak of, so I don't really see an advantage in pushing that geographical connection.

As far as colouring the product, may I suggest you try damiana? (Turnera aphrodisiaca or T. diffusa) It gives the brew a beautiful green hue and, in my experience, after a year it still keeps the colour. (The bottles were clear but kept from the light.)

Finally, my beloved is travelling to Sao Paulo in a month. Is there a place where she can buy your absinthe?

All the best, Jorge

By Mario on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Verawench, I apologize for i was rude. I didn't mean to offend you.

Tavarua, actually the shipping charge is US$20,00 for 1 bottle Absinto Camargo 700ml (US$30). Shipping charge for 2 bottles is US$ 40,00 for I have to use 2 separated boxes.

We've been distilling Absinto Camargo since July 2000 and I've already posted in this forum before, talking about distillation, alcohol, etc with Ted, Don and Grimbergen. Grimbergen has been to our distillery and he saw the 9 herbs.

Heiko, thanks for the tips on the website, I'll pass on.

Martin, I'm not that open about our absinthe. The information posted here is not that sigilous. If you look around you'll know. Regarding the 2 extra herbs, can't say anything...

Don, although the legal limit is 54% vol in Brazil, we're developing a export version, higher in alcohol.

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe Absinto Camargus will fit.

Mario

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 11:58 am: Edit

Wolfgang etc:

1. All questions particular to JL products must be answered only by Ted for reasons of clarity and continuity.

2. General technical questions not specific to JL products I can certainly respond to. It is certainly true that ethanol produced from most any feedstock is capable of being purified to a point where it is organoleptically indistinguishable from any other ethanol. And it is true that I take great pains to purify the ethanol I ferment.

HOWEVER you ought not to make any assumptions about just whst we are doing, you do not have all the necessary information and you are conclusion-jumping.

'Wine spirits' is an archair terms and covers a multitude of grades. Assuming that wine spirits = marc/grappa is NOT safe. Assuming that wine spirits = grape neutral spirits of various grades is NOT safe. Assuming that 'wine spirits' is better/worse than any particular grain, corn, molasses, cane juice, cassava, tapioca, jerusalem artichoke, potato, fruit, or old cardboard based fermentation product, is not safe.

In short do not grasp at straws in my remarks, if you have specific questions pls ask Ted.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 10:57 am: Edit

All questions about JL products should be directed to me only. I will answer what I can.

The alcohol used in our products is absolutely superior in quality, yet possesses the desired properties necessary to create a historically authentic product. As such, the alcohol we use is different from anything being employed elsewhere today. This is all that can be said.

Jade absinthes will be packaged such as to maximize the preservation of the product. This question will resolve itself when the absinthes become available.

By Heiko on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 09:49 am: Edit

I'd prefer my absinthe made with clean alcohol rather than with grape alcohol that gives it a grappa taste (and headache...).
From what I've heard, the alcohol Don uses must be so pure and clean that it makes no difference if it was grape or sugar before.
Ethanol=ethanol as long as there's no other substances in it.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 07:49 am: Edit

By the way Don, based on what we are reading here, shall we assume that Jade's absinthe will be botteled at around 70% and in very dark bottles to protect the chlorophyllic coloring ?

And one more question... If another tread about home distillation you said that you use tons of sugar to make ethanol. Can we assume from that fact that you wont use wine spirit to recreate the E. Pernod ?

(Of course, if for some business reason you can't answer that one, I will understand... But you surely understand why I am asking that last question...)

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, July 19, 2001 - 03:04 am: Edit

A pity about the 54% legal limit in Brasil. This has a seriously negative impact on just what the maker can do with their absinthe, and really keeps it out of the top shelf.

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:55 pm: Edit

We have had absinthe 'alcopops' in the UK for some time. I have no idea what these taste like although 'lemon and lime' and 'cranberry' would be my guess.

alcopops

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:13 pm: Edit

Absinto Camaro and for the soda'hol "Camaro X"

Now you'll drink it Morrigan.

By Missthing on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Not that I'm any authority, but I prefer Absinto Carmargo, has a better ring and rhythm to it phonetically.

I may be interested in purchasing once you have PayPal setup and am also curious about your shipping costs & methods (ie comparable price of shipping multiple items) - similar to Australia as to the US, or significantly more?

By Martin on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Mario,

The idea of an "Absinthe Soda Pop" is novel and interesting. I know it seems like the market is starting to get kind of crowded with things like that, but I think I would really enjoy Camargus ICE.

I also really like the fact that you're so open about how your absinthe is made and the fact that you are improving the recipe. Would one of the "2 new herbs" be mint? I think mint would go really well in absinthe. Catnip might be another interesting idea.

Anyway, keep up the good work and the honesty. I look forward to trying your absinthe.

-Martin

By Artemis on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 02:16 pm: Edit

It was around the Spring Equinox of this year that Grimbergen was down there.

I think Ted had obtained a bottle not too many weeks before that.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 02:09 pm: Edit

Thank you Melinelly.

Yea, Ted's review did not say that his brew was really bad, just different, differing from Spanish absinthes especially. I would think that this would appeal to many of the forumites.

By Melinelly on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 01:52 pm: Edit

it was a few months ago. just do a search for absinto/absinthe camargo. it was very interesting and enlightening. since then and since reading ted's review of absinto camargo, i've pondered ordering a bottle, but the $90 total price was a bit off putting for the time being. at $50 total, i may just be inclined now.

mario, thanks for your input on this forum. as for the name, of those two i prefer Absinto Camargo... but as Artemis said in his first reply, i like "Absinto Camargus".

cheers!

By Tavarua on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Artemis,

Do you recall where / when abouts this discussion took place. I would be interested in checking it out.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 01:19 pm: Edit

“Wrong - look here: http://www.sepulchritude.com/chapelperilous/absinthe/absinthe-guide5.html

Damn, guess you put me in my place. But could you tell me how someone doing a review of a product constitutes pre-promotional activity by the distiller. BTW, do you think I haven’t read the review section before. No need to get all fired up, hey “relax guy.”

By Verawench on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 12:51 pm: Edit

For the label they used a painting of a lady and her pussy. And some tomatoes.

By Heiko on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 12:44 pm: Edit

btw nice fairy you have on your site!

Compress the picture in 24 bit jpeg and not in 8 bit gif and it'll look even better :-)

By Artemis on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 12:19 pm: Edit

Mr. Camargo is not coming out of nowhere - if memory serves me correctly, there was a fairly extensive discussion of this absinthe here in the forum some time back.

At least one forum member has been down there in person, and I think I remember Ted Breaux reviewing the product as it stood at the time.

By Heiko on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 12:16 pm: Edit

"It appears that you are making, have made, an actual absinthe product, with no pre-promotional activity."

Wrong - look here: http://www.sepulchritude.com/chapelperilous/absinthe/absinthe-guide5.html

I can also remember Mario having a good discussion with Ted and Don before about distilling techniques and what he was about to try.

When I read the review of the old Camargo, I think I won't spend 50$ on the new version unless I hear something better...

Soda Pop? Who the fuck drinks soda pop anyways? But of course, it's worth a try SELLING it- as long as the label looks trippy, kids will love that stuff ;-)

By Verawench on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:58 am: Edit

"The 9 herbs are obvious for those registered in this Forum"

I'm registered in this forum.

You're not getting my $50, that's for sure. Good luck with the soda pop.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:22 am: Edit

...As for sending money ro a US account, sorry, I wont do it. It`s too much trouble and takes too much time. I'm a compulsive buyer, I use credit cards and paypal only. I will wait until you set up your web site.

Good luck with your product, it seems your heading in the right direction (of course I'm not talking about the soda-absinthe-whatever-I'm so hype drink...)

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 11:17 am: Edit

LOL ya that`s it, we`re the absinthe mob. Send free bottles and we will ''protect'' you ;-)

Joking, of course ;-)

By Tavarua on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:49 am: Edit

Are you going to charge 30 USD shipping charge per bottle ordered, or can we get 2 bottles for the price of one shipping charge?

What is your shipping policy going to be? Method of shipment, vague packaging method, broken bottle policy, etc., etc.?

Not to bombard you with questions, but this is a little abrupt. It appears that you are making, have made, an actual absinthe product, with no pre-promotional activity. That will definitely raise a flag with some forum members, as commercial absinthe makers are not known for their honesty when speaking of their brew process. If I could propose something, send a few bottles out to members, 2-3, of the forum. Look around for a bit and those members will be easy to choose. It adds a lot more credibility when recognized a forum member confirms your statements. This may seem like a handout, but I guarantee you that everyone here will it least give it a try, if they believe it is worth it, and this will prove to be a very profitable step. Some members have received free samples in the past, when a product wanted publicity, so this practice is not an oddity.

By Artemis on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:39 am: Edit

Bottled at 54% vol (max allowed in Brazil)

Okay, that explains it. At less than 70% alcohol, chlorophyllic coloring is not stable. But if 54% is max allowed by law, there's not much you can do about it. Even at 70% alcohol, the stability will be adversely affected by light.

In view of Mr. Remo's Italian heritage, I think Absinthe Camargus is also fitting, but I still prefer Absinto Camargo because of the Latin American production site.

By Mario on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:28 am: Edit

The 9 herbs are obvious for those registered in this Forum: Artemisia absinthium and pontica, star aniseed (badiane), green anis, hyssop, fennel, angelica, melissa and coriander. Most of them imported from Italy. We'll be adding 2 or 3 more plants by September.
Mario

By Mario on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:22 am: Edit

In time, Wolfgang, I can ship to Canada, but we do not have credit card payment/ paypal organized yet. We ship upon confirmation of deposit in a NY account. Enquiries through uniland@pobox.com
Mario

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:22 am: Edit

MMM...Zimabsinthe...

By Verawench on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:21 am: Edit

Can you list some of your herbs (other than artemisia a.) or at least your source for those herbs?

By Mario on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

Thanks guys for your attention.
- We bottle in clear bottles
- Bottled at 54% vol (max allowed in Brazil)
- Distilled from Real plants, NO OILS NOR extracts
- Yes, Morriganlefey, I imagined I would hurt some purists with alcopop Absinto Camargo ICE (like a sachrilege). But it was a obvious development. And still, you have the Original Absinto Camargo. Also I hope the ICE version will help many people become interested in the absinthe culture and look after more information.
Thanks for the suggestions,
Mario

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 09:35 am: Edit

Oups sorry...please delete the first one...

>natural clorophila green fades away in 1 week under action of light.

Can't you use a very dark bottle instead ? It would be a lot better. Please give it a try. I would prefer to pay 1$ more just for a better bottle if I knew it's not artificialy colored.

> produced with the 9 essential herbs

Essential HERBS or OILS ?

> Absinto Camargo or ...

I prefer the original name Absinto Camargo. It sound more true to it's Brazilian origin.

I'm glad to ear you'r about to remove all sugar from your formulation so we will be able to perform the sugar ritual and dose it to our taste.

Will you ship discretly to Canada ?

Can we buy it through your web site (or at least using Paypal) ? I will buy a bottle as soon as I can send my order to you by credit card through a secure web server and/or Paypal.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 09:33 am: Edit

>natural clorophila green fades away in 1 week under action of light.produced with the 9 essential herbs Absinto Camargo or ...<

I prefer the original name Absinto Camargo. It sound more true to it's Brazilian origin.

I'm glad to ear you'r about to remove all sugar from your formulation so we will be able to perform the sugar ritual and dose it to our taste.

Will you ship discretly to Canada ?

Can we buy it through your web site (or at least using Paypal) ? I will buy a bottle as soon as I can send my order to you by credit card through a secure web server and/or Paypal.

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 09:28 am: Edit

Oh no, it's the "wine-coolering of Absinthe". Call me elitist if you will, but something about putting absinthe and Hoopers Hootch or Smirnoff Ice in the same league just rubs me the wrong way. If you must make it, please call it Absinto Camargo, so as not to confuse it with true Absinthe.

- M

By Artemis on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 08:53 am: Edit

Sorry, I meant to write, "I prefer Absinto Camargo".

By Artemis on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 08:52 am: Edit

Quote:

the natural clorophila green fades away in 1 week under action of light

If it fades that quickly, you're either not coloring it correctly or the alcohol content is not high enough to support chlorophyllic coloration to begin with. This is true regardless of the action of light, however, light will have a detrimental effect even if it's colored correctly and the alcohol content is high. Do you bottle it in clear bottles or dark-colored glass bottles?

It sounds like you're serious about producing a quality product (removing the sugar is a good move!).

I prefer Absinto Camargus.

I have seen soda products with all sorts of herbs (ginseng, etc.) and even bull testicle extract, but never absinthium.

By Mario on Wednesday, July 18, 2001 - 08:32 am: Edit

Hello everyone,

We've got news from Brazil. Firstly, I'll make a brief introduction about Absinto Camargo, the first absinthe produced in Brazil, since 2000.

Absinto Camargo is produced with the 9 essential herbs including Artemisia absinthium, we'll be adding 2 more plants soon and taking out all sugar from the formulation. It is a distilled product and it does go through a second infusion process for colouring and flavor reasons. Nevertheless, we use artificial colouring to keep the green 'green' for marketing reasons, because the natural clorophila green fades away in 1 week under action of light. Alex Jackman (from the Forum) has already visited the distillery. Our distiller is Mr. Remo Lovisolo, an Italian man from Piemonte which came to Brazil more than 40 years ago. Mr. Remo is Dr. in Agraria and pos-graduated in beverages, by Univ. Torino and has worked in Gancia and Martini, developing Martini, Strega, Cointreau and Luxardo Maraschino, among others. He has worked closely with Julio Cavazza from Martini Paris. The Conseil of Europe bases the max 10mg/kg of thujone in some of Cavazza's works on Artemisia absinthium. We invite you to visit our webpage http://www.absintocamargo.com , which will be improved soon. Our price is not as Kallisti prints (US$ 90,00), but with US$ 30,00 plus US$ 20,00 shipping, we'll send Camargo to you. T-shirts US$ 15,00.

The news come now:
We're launching a new product which is an absinthe soda to be called Absinthe Camargus ICE, at 6,5% vol. The product fit into the vast 'alcopop' niche which includes Smirnoff Ice, Hooper's Hooch, Subzero, DNA, Bacardi Breeze, to name a few.

We're planning to market Absinto Camargo ICE as the First absinthe soda in the world. I ask you guys if anybody has ever seen any absinthe alcopop anywhere. Have you ? If so we'll have to change the marketing approach.

Another question: Do you prefer
- Absinto Camargo or
- Absinthe Camargus ?

Thanks and Regards,

Mario Reuter Camargo

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation