Czech "Absinth"

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Czech "Absinth"
By Don_Walsh on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 07:43 am: Edit

Well, then, hale fellow well met.

I'm just a little raw around the edges when it comes to the blurring of distinctions between absinthe, a nice mellow aperitif and digestif liqueur, and 'recreational' drugs.

Nowhere in the world is absinthe or any of its constituents classified as a controlled substance.

If some people on this forum appear to know a lot about drugs, as users of illicit drugs, that's a shame. I still think asking after advice about same on this forum was a bad idea, but (if you don't mind the pun) I won't make a cross about it, Barabbas.

By Barabbas on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 04:27 am: Edit

I was asking, Don, because I'd heard Prague called Amsterdam East and laws decriminalizing cannabis consumption, which surprised me, so I was making sure since some people here seem to know a lot about drugs. Probably won't smoke anything other than tobacco when I'm there, I was just curious. Seemed like you thought I was a fucked up junky who only wants to drink absinthe to hallucinate, which I am not.

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 06:25 pm: Edit

Blackjack,

Yeah, since reading Don's post a while back about how easy it is to die from absorbing alcohol through those "other" mucus membranes, I've thought that would make a great plot device for a murder mystery.

Hmmm... deceased, not known to be a heavy drinker, found with a half-empty bottle of Hills. DOA, acute alcohol poisoning. Seems a little too clean; why didn't he vomit?

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Not to say that Serpis is the Christ. Oh no! We're still waiting for Jesus to get here.

"Well I've been faithfull
And I've been so good
Except for drinking Deva
But he knew that I would
I'm gonna leave this place better
Than the way I found it was
And Jesus gonna be here
Be here soon"
- Apologies to Tom Waits

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 06:17 pm: Edit

It's the Marilyn Manson of Absinthe...

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 06:14 pm: Edit

It's the ANTI-SERPIS!!!

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Starzo"blecchhy"

By Zack on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I agree with Heiko, Staroplzensky is a lot worse than Hill's. If you took a shot of Hill's, threw it back up (along with some bile), then you would have Staroplzensky (or Staroplzenecky).

By Barabbas on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Thanks for the info everyone.

By Heiko on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 10:20 am: Edit

Starop better than Hill's?
Hill's at least tastes like mouthwash and bubblegum - Starop tastes like someone thought "let's create a chemical taste that is worse than everything else on earth" ;-)

I can't imagine ANYONE could like it. But of course that's my personal opinion. I also can't understand how anyone could like olives... the worst tasting natural product people ever claimed to be edible...

By Bjacques on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 05:19 am: Edit

Oh, hell, spend a few korunas for a shot at a bar. Even if it's Hill's. At least you'll know how bad it really is and that we're not just snobs about it. Ditto for Staro, thought it's a little better.

Re soft drugs: the further east you go, the harsher the cops. Eastern European governments tend to be socially conservative, even in relatively unreligious Czechia. Don't carry any drugs at all, but if someone offers you a puff at a party, that's probably all right.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, July 28, 2001 - 06:11 am: Edit

And I mean you, Br' Rabbus

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, July 28, 2001 - 06:08 am: Edit

Hey fuckface, did you REALLY log on here and ask for advice about soft drugs in a foreign country?

Are you an ASSHOLE or what?

(Not what.)

By _Blackjack on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

I'va always considered grain-alcohol enemas a great means of getting rid of somebody. When somebody is carted in dead of alcohol poinsoning, obody ever things to check which end it went in...

By Tabreaux on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 08:05 am: Edit

Please stop giving free ideas to the thieving Czech lurkers. First it was Staroplzenecky filled chocolates, next it will be suppositories.

By Wormwood on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 07:47 am: Edit

>If you want absinthe to affect you try taking it rectally. An ounce of Hill's right up the ol happy hole...makes a great party trick.

Let me guess, next he squirt it into a glass and nobody could taste the differance.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 07:09 pm: Edit

Oh it's real pretty. A nice package for sure (that's what lured me in)

By Bluedog1 on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Ted;

Thanx for the succinct description of Staroplzensky. I have a bottle a friend brought me back from Prague. Nicely shaped bottle with a reral cork, but given the tales on this forum about the quality and taste, I haven't had the guts to open it and taste it myself. Looks like green Kool-Aid in a distressed katsup bottle.

By Petermarc on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 02:11 pm: Edit

stick to the beer, especially at 'u fleku'...now that's hallucinogenic!

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Barabbas,

For an absinthe with good effects, go for Serpis. Order it from Spirit's Corner www.spiritscorner.com.

Hobgoblin

By Zack on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Hey Barabbas,

If you want absinthe to affect you try taking it rectally. An ounce of Hill's right up the ol happy hole...makes a great party trick.

By Barabbas on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 01:33 pm: Edit

So Sebor tastes alright, but does it affect you at all apart from the alcohol? Otherwise I'll stick to the beer and try absinthe another time.

And while we're talking about Prague, do any of you guys know what the current legal status of soft drugs there is?

By Petermarc on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 10:30 am: Edit

krasna lipa is what czech mothers smear on their nipples to get babies to stop breast-feeding...it may also cause a deep hatred of the mother afterwards....

By Joalco on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 09:01 am: Edit

I spent some time in Prague this summer. You won't be able to find any imported absinthe (or at least we were unable to -- and we looked everywhere). So, your best bet would probably be to go with Sebors, or Krasna Lipa as it is labeled and sold as in the Czech Republic.

hope this helps,

jc

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 07:20 am: Edit

Starz O'plenty would probably make for a half way decent muscle liniment. Applied only to the outside of the body and away from any mucous membranes or sensitive areas.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 05:56 am: Edit

"Absinthe Original" is lousy and expensive

Absinth Prague is bearable, but weak

Staropzlnenecky tastes like flavored acid

Sebor is bearable, thin, but has some character.

By Barabbas on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 02:13 am: Edit

Shit! I posted this yesterday and it seemed to work, but apparently it didn't...

Ok, this summer I'm going to the Czech Republic for a while, and I want to try some of their 'absinth'. I'm not expecting something like French or Spanish absinthe, and actually I don't really care all that much about how close it is to the original recipes. I'm looking for something palatable, not too expensive and which will have an 'absinthey' effect on me other than the alcohol. I heard that Original, Prague, Sebor and L'OR's Staroplzensky are decent. What are your opinions on this?

Also, if I feel like trying some 'real absinthe' do you know if Spanish and French absinthe imports are availible in the Czech Republic, and what kind of prices shall I be looking at?

Thanks for the feedback...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation