Spanish Absinth and EU Law

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Spanish Absinth and EU Law
By Heiko on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 12:42 am: Edit

I'll say it again:

Spiritscorner is in Spain and has Spanish prices (that means: LOW prices!).
To send five bottles to Germany per mail costs about 60DM. If you can travel to Spain for less than that - do it!

By Shizow on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 11:54 am: Edit

I dont want to order anything
I will buy it directly in spain or whereelse there is good Absinth

By Heiko on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Just order from SC - it's cheaper anyways...

By Don_Walsh on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Old news.

The measure is mg/Kg not mg/L and these are not the same thing, unless the liquid has a density of 1.00 same as water.

No one can answer the central question except for the manufacturers concerned, and they are mum.

A more pertinent question is how does one assay accurately for thujone? Do you know or care about the difference between alpha tyhujone and beta thujone, or does the EU?

Why not take a vacation and read the forum archives? We have been over this same ground for years.

By Shizow on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 02:30 pm: Edit

I post this again because my post went to the archive

Since 1998 there is an new European Union(EU) law that makes absinthe available again in every EU state.
But the new Absinths do not have to contain so much thujon.
Before it was prohibited in several states including Germany.
In Spain it was not prohibited.

Now my question is:
Was there change in the production of Spanish Absinth in 1998, so that the Absinths, which are produced contain not so much thujon than before 98.

Yesterday i went to a shop in berlin, and i saw that they sell Deva Absinth 70 % from Spain. It hat the same label like the original spanish. But there is a second white label from the German Importer.
So is there a difference between the Spanish Deva Absinth and the German imported Deva Absinth?

The German importer has also a website
www.absenta.de (only german)
on the website it is said that the new absinth does not have to contain more than 10mg thujon per litre.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation