Hello all

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Hello all
By Luvlite68 on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 10:20 am: Edit

Don,

Being grateful for options is not cannonization. I am only suggesting is that for those of us who don't have the proper connections in France or Switzerland, just having the option is vastly better than no option at all.

People can complain all they want about the price that Doc, Betina, or Justin charge but that is the beauty of capitalism. There certainly is a premium paid for the trouble they go through but if you don't like it, don't buy it.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 08:14 am: Edit

As I have often said, buying LB in Switzerland or out, one depends on the trustworthiness of friends and/or vendors.

If you don't know who you are dealing with, you will likely get rooked.

One of Absintheur's friends in Neuchatel used to (maybe still does) from the chief of police.

My sources are all reliable.

Caveat Emptor.

You can't just stand on the corner and whisper to strangers passing buy "Where can I get some of the good stuff?"

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 08:08 am: Edit

"...but for a price of 50 SFR per litre (or maybe even less) you're not that bad off even if it is re-bottled anise."

True. But then again, you still don't have what you wanted or even something truly good, so it's back to the gamble.

It is difficult to find yourself in a win-win situation regardless of what you do.

By Heiko on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 07:27 am: Edit

"Spend less - take your chances, spend more - know what you get."

Or maybe: spend less - be extremely lucky, spend more - be extremely ripped off...

one never knows...but for a price of 50 SFR per litre (or maybe even less) you're not that bad off even if it is re-bottled anise.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 07:06 am: Edit

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that 'La Bleue' can range from re-bottled pastis to good, and anywhere in between. Buying it in Switzerland does not guarantee anything. Spend less - take your chances, spend more - know what you get.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 04:18 am: Edit

Look, I was an early La Bleue promoter and fan (no never commercially). I had exactly two friends I could go to for help, one was a Chinese resident of Bern and the other was a Swiss diplomat in the Carribean. Neither knew anything about absinthe, but the fellow in Bern had a friend in Neuchatel, a company director. So he got me four bottles. 50 ChFr each. And the diplomat, who is a Bern citizen, passed through Bern to see his family on his way to Bangkok, collected the four liters from my other buddy, and carried them to Thailand. No hassles, no problems, and a wonderful introduction to absinthe for me.

So, it is largely a matter of what resources one can bring to bear on the problem.

Betty flies there and buys LB sucesfully if expensively, from mulyiple sources.

I get by with a little help from my friends.

I think the anecdotal 250 franc bottle of LB in Zurich or Geneva is a matter of opportunism in face of some clueless buyer. Not routine.

I don't think anything justifies some of the exploitative prices in USA. If you have no choice and MUST have LB, maybe, but let's not canonize the leeches and declare $200 availability a 'blessing' please.

By Luvlite68 on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Putting on the asbestos underwear . . .

"I was told that people in Zurich, Switzerland, sell a bottle of La Bleue for 250 SFR - and it didn't even cross the border, it only went from the Jura to Zurich... "

This implies the accessibility and variety of the La Bleues in the US is a blessing, all things considered. I believe I even saw an old post from Mr. Breaux suggesting as much.

By Heiko on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 12:10 am: Edit

There's no special deal for La Bleue in Europe, it seems. The thing is: 1. La Bleue is hard to get. 2. If you get La Bleue from someone, it won't be much.
Even if you know somebody who will sell you La Bleue in the Val de Travers, they won't be able to get more than a few bottles themselves.
I was told that people in Zurich, Switzerland, sell a bottle of La Bleue for 250 SFR - and it didn't even cross the border, it only went from the Jura to Zurich...

By Webfly on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Lordhobgoblin has the right idea. Try some of the Spanish brands from Spiritscorner first. If you buy 4 or 5 bottles in one order, it will cost around $25.00 to $30.00 per bottle; I don't know how this translates to your monetary system.

By Tlautrec on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Ruud -

There is a small liquor store at the back end (toward the Jaarbeurs) of Hoog Catharijne in Utrecht that sells Absinthe Hapsburg and Absinthe Trenet, each for NFl 48, but neither of these brands is very good.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 12:19 pm: Edit

At $200, save your money. Go to Spiritscorner.com and stock up with perfectly acceptable brands (Serpis, Deva, Segarra etc.) at a fraction of the price.

By Ruud on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 11:40 am: Edit

Hoi i live in the netherlands and i want to learn all about absinthe i looking for a good brand any sugestions!!!!
I think about buying a bottle of Betina La Bleue(usa) but it is very expensive($200)mayby are the import cost high is it possible this brand to order in europe
In my country i can buy a bottle of ABSINTHE PERE KERMANN'S anybody hear of this brand

Thanks Ruud

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation