Anybody like Screamin' Jay Hawkins!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Anybody like Screamin' Jay Hawkins!
By Pataphysician on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Was it "Stranger Than Paradise"? I guess "Down By Law" was the one that drove me to go buy 'Jockey Full Of Bourbon'. Anyway, all I have of Hawkins is that old 45 of 'I Put A Spell On You' (which I recently sampled for my original composition 'Spill On You'), but his album 'Black Music For White People' wins for best title.

And Head: I once *smoked* a Screamin' Jay.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 05:46 pm: Edit

I used to wear Screamin' Jay

By Anatomist1 on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 05:32 pm: Edit

I made a mental note to check into Hawkins the first second and fifth times I watched 'Stranger Than Paradise', which is the Jaramusch movie in question. Unfortuantely, the young Hungarian cousin in the movie was so reminiscent of a woman that drove me mad that I haven't been able to make sense of my mental notes since...

What recording is the best one to buy first?

K.

By Perruche_Verte on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 02:04 pm: Edit

"I gots plenty of rhythm and blues, and my boss told me so."

"I also like playing drums made out of skulls."

-- quotes from jayskids.com

By Pataphysician on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 01:56 pm: Edit

The Jarmusch movie you're thinking of is 'Mystery Train' which is worth seeing for Joe Strummer, too. And Jarmusch prominently featured Hawkin's "I Put A Spell On You" in 'Down By Law'. I ran right out and bought the single when I saw that.

And that's all we have time for on "Movie Trivia Today".

By Thegreenimp on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 01:34 pm: Edit

It all becomes clear now, Screamin' Jay.....Head Prosthesis,.........Head! have you submitted your claim yet.

By Thegreenimp on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 01:18 pm: Edit

jayskids.com
Interesting site

Jay (still no relation, Damn!)

By Thegreenimp on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 01:13 pm: Edit

He died around a year ago or more.
There was a rather odd website hosted by his attorney, asking for all his children to submit their claims for his estate.
If I remember correctly, the heading read "Could You be One of Screamin' Jay Hawkins Kid's?".
It sort of fit in a way.

Jay (no relation, damn!)

By Artemis on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Okay, he died last year, at age 70.

He was one of a kind, for sure.

By Artemis on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 01:03 pm: Edit

"Was" ... Is he dead?

I saw a Jim Jarmusch movie recently with him in it. He played a desk clerk at a ratty Memphis hotel.

He was also in a movie called "Rage in Harlem", on stage with his band. Forrest Whitaker was also in that movie.

By Noname on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 12:33 pm: Edit

he's really really cool...im not sure he was an absinthe drinker but he was the best blues/rythm artist around...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation