How to Exploit Ignorance for Profit

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: How to Exploit Ignorance for Profit
By Pataphysician on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 09:22 am: Edit

>And where did she get the rights to reproduce all those famed french poster art images on 'bucket hats' & boxer shorts?!? (Cappiello is arollin' in his agrava') Copyright infringement anyone?
>

Alas, it's all in the public domain. She doesn't need permission to reproduce them.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 09:13 am: Edit

So long as the age-old propaganda is all that is available, it will continue to be perpetuated. Anyone can conclude that if this were fact, have the population of France would have been convulsing in the streets. But then again, sensationalism is always more popular than reason.

By Verawench on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 08:58 am: Edit

Does anyone have access to E.E. Walker's original texts?

Massachusetts Poison Control System quotes his apparently silly research from the 1920's (http://www.mapoison.org/ctr/9601absinthe.html) but I couldn't find any more info about him or his studies on the forum.

By Verawench on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 08:56 am: Edit

Does anyone have access to E.E. Walker's original texts?

Massachusetts Poison Control System quotes his apparently silly research from the 1920's (http://www.mapoison.org/ctr/9601absinthe.html) but I couldn't find any more info about him or his studies on the forum.

By Verawench on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 08:42 am: Edit

A random person msg'ed me on Yahoo a few days ago out of the blue.. I gently explained that no, absinthe does not drive you mad. To which I received this response:

"
leflyman (Tue Jul 31 01:02:13 2001): Not in Prague, but in Barcelona. And, yes real absinthe does drive you mad. It's the wormwood, you see. It contains a neurotoxin that in high doses can lead to "renal failure" and epileptic-like seizures.

leflyman (Tue Jul 31 01:02:19 2001): Check out: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/absinthe.html"

The conviction of his response is frightful. Like many, this person's a victim of age old propaganda, misinformation and outright lies.

It's amazing how hard it is to turn the tide on something like this.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 06:46 am: Edit

Those boxer are the most importanty ingredient of the absinthe receipe. You have to wear it for 3 weeks without washing it and then macerate it with grain alcool...

By Heiko on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Vera, that's what I thought - I need those boxers, I NEEED THEM SO BAD!!!
;-)

By Morriganlefey on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Oops - just read further into that junkie site. Guess I should correct my last post to "HER wares". Shameful and dangerous. And where did she get the rights to reproduce all those famed french poster art images on 'bucket hats' & boxer shorts?!? (Cappiello is arollin' in his agrava') Copyright infringement anyone?

- M

By Morriganlefey on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Imp - you're right, this is the same dealer who pedals his wares on Ebay (I know, I spend FAR too much time on Ebay). However, Ebay has recently cracked-down on him and forced him to remove the "incriminating herb" from his auctioned kits. So now he sells them sans-wormwood as "Anisenthe Kits" -

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1621942253

The sadder thing is, though no one bids on these auctions, he still gets a free ad byte at the bottom (just like doc1030 and his "Real Rare Absinthe?!?" auctions), where he mentions in the fine print where to go (that website) to get "the real stuff". Cheap. Sick. Exploitive. (Hey, is this Wiz's new venture??!?)

- M

By Verawench on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Wow, impressive outcry, you guys :)

Oh, but who could resist these:

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/productdetail.aspx?prodno=1295003

By Tabreaux on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 05:42 pm: Edit

I read some of those, you guys are brutal...!

I have yet to see anything posted in a foreign language like French, German, Danish, etc. (hint)

The sad thing about this that eclipses the profit-from-deliberate-misinformation aspect of it is that someone would have a hospitalized mishap from some garbage like this, you better believe that "absinthe" will be unfairly blamed, when this junk isn't absinthe. This is why while mixing ignorance, alcohol, and herbs makes no absinthe, it does make for potentially dangerous combination.

By Thegreenimp on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Looks like the same kit that shows up weekly on eBay........You too can make your self sick for only........What Fun.

By Verawench on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 04:24 pm: Edit

I posted my "clarification" to their guestbook, I hope everyone else takes a minute to do the same.

By Tabreaux on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Junk

Note that the 'absinthe' yielded in these pitiful kits is "naturally distilled by the steeping method".

I urge anyone to amuse themself by kindly posting an impression in the guestbook.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation