An Australian Absinthe?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: An Australian Absinthe?
By Don_Walsh on Thursday, August 02, 2001 - 12:47 am: Edit

I hardly need to mention that a.absinthium grows wild in Australia and is classed as a noxious weed. Presumably as in N.America it was imported as a garden border shrub and 'escaped'.

By Frater_Carfax on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 11:34 pm: Edit

I have emailed the chap who contributed to the book in which the reference is found and have asked him for any further historical references he can point me to- apparantly the Sydney Powerhouse Museum has a large collection of good from the 1879 exhibition, so I might investigate as to what they have in their archives.

Midas and I went searching for absinthe paraphenalia in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney a couple of weeks ago, as there are a large number of antique stores in the region with items dating from the late 1800's and early 20th C, so theoretically it would have had potential. Alas, nothing... we seemed to come across a large number of antique sugar sifting spoons however which did have holes in their base, and could be 'functional' as absinthe spoons I guess (better than a tea strainer anyway), but otherwise nothing.

By Missthing on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Sounds fascinating... was a manufacturers' name mentioned? I daresay that eucalyptus flavoured Absinthe would go down well, wherever its origin.

Also, have you come across any/much absinthe related memorabilia in Australia? I have the vague hope there's not much knowledge of the accountrements in Perth and I'll luck upon some extremely rare spoon in a little antique shop somewhere.. (I know, extremely unlikely!)

By Frater_Carfax on Wednesday, August 01, 2001 - 10:38 pm: Edit

I have just come across a most obscure reference to the absinthe in Australia. Sydney was host to the 9th International Exhibition in 1879, which was a major festival of music, wine, food, arts and sciences.

Among the alcoholic beverages entered into the international competitions was a eucalyptus flavoured absinthe.

I am not sure whether this implies there used to be an absinthe manufacturer in Australia or whether eucalypts were experimented with as a flavouring in liqueurs elsewhere?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation