Pilsner, original, l'amesinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Pilsner, original, l'amesinthe
By Heiko on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 06:45 pm: Edit

With "Pilsner" you mean Staroplzenecky?

You don't want acquire THAT taste!
Like Ted and Blackjack pointed out: if you realized that Original and Starop taste like shit and you like l'amesinthe (that I don't know, but I can imagine what it tastes like) you don't need to worry: your tastebuds are absolutely ok. You're going to like one or the other Spanish brand and most probably like any better, distilled absinthe.

You might want to order some Spanish and try mixing small amounts of Original and Starop into those - can be quite interesting and as long as you don't use too much of the bad stuff it's still very palatable

By Sash on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Tavarua: It's going to take quite a while before I can aquire that taste, so I'll try again later. I'll just stick to my liqueur for now...

I'm interested in a pocket flask too, but laboheme is a little pricey.

By Tavarua on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 08:36 am: Edit

Sash,

This is really not a bad thing. It is better to start at the bottom of the barrel, so to speak. I would have to say that absinthe is almost an acquired taste, not to everyone’s liking the first few times. But it’s funny, after a few sessions it really starts to grow on you, unlike many other liquors, to the point you will actually crave the flavor now and then. After you get the taste down, you will be able to appreciate the heavier artemisias flavors that are out there, and the ones that will be out there in the hopefully near future. I myself have only indulged in commercial Spanish brands and Segarra, uuummm Segarra. I have played with the idea of getting a La Bleue, but have held out, waiting for Jade Liquors, an offer to purchase another’s homebrew, or the possibility of a semi-local gathering. Needless to say, I am still waiting. I do believe that soon I will have the opportunity to purchase the “real deal” and when I get it, I know that I will appreciate the superior product given the current benchmarks.

By Missthing on Thursday, August 02, 2001 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Actually I was just looking at La Boheme and the stainless steel flask they stock with a small quantity of Original in it - has anyone ordered one of these? They look quite attractive from the photo and useful for carrying small quantities of Absinth on one's person, even if what they arrive filled with needs to be peremptorily removed and replaced with something nicer...

By _Blackjack on Thursday, August 02, 2001 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Well, if you like L'amesinthe, you will probably enjoy the better Spanish absinthes, since they are also anise-y and owe a lot to modern French pastis (which is what L'amesinthe is) in their flavor.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, August 02, 2001 - 08:21 pm: Edit

And while L'Amesinthe is a nice liqueur d'anis, it is not absinthe. Nevertheless, the other two make for good practical jokes or kindling. But remember now, like the distributor claims, Absinthe Original has been compared to the rarest of cognacs, contains no artificial colors, and probably cures cancer as well (or maybe causes it).

By Sash on Thursday, August 02, 2001 - 08:08 pm: Edit

By extreme misfortune, I ordered the above three BEFORE finding this forum. Having tasted all three, I have come to the conclusion that if pilsner and the original are anything like "real" absinthe, then I want nothing to do with the stuff. The licorice flavours in the l'amesinthe make it much better than the other two. So now I'm stuck with two bottles of useless swill...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation