PASTIS

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: PASTIS
By String on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 09:44 pm: Edit

I just got my first bottle of Herbsaint from Hi Times. I think it blows Pernod away. It has a surprisingly long and numbing finish.

I cant find Bardouin at any local stores or here in the buyers guide.

Go to http://www.tastings.com/search_spirits.lasso
and click on Anise Liqueur. They have most of the pastis discussed here. I disagee with most of there rankings, but there tasting notes are very good. The discription of Hill's as "circus peanut candy" cracks me up.

By Joshua on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 06:15 am: Edit

last july when i finally turned 21,i went out that morning and purchased a bottle of pernod.i love the stuff,i like its sweetness,i even use sugar with it.and the i like the anise onslaught.then not too long ago i spent the extra buck for ricard,it tastes almost exactly like mari mayans to me.i also only drink absinthe on the weekends,acully not even every weekend,but ricard or pernod,on an almost daily basis.these are the only pastis's ive found availiable other than absente,and im not shelling 40 for a product such as that.

By Absinthespoon on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 07:58 am: Edit

I was introduced to 51 at the home of my ex-boss in Paris. He served it to me mixed with very little water and some ice. I have heard you're not supposed to use ice because it bruises the flavor, but it was very good that way. Usually I use a bit more water and no ice.

Re: la Muse Verte, I thought it was similar to Manguin. Neither of which I would go out of my way to have again. I do like the pastis glasses that came with my bottle of Muse Verte.

For any Bay Area folk who don't know Beltramos in Menlo Park, they have a really good selection of pastis: HB, Versinthe, Muse Verte, Ricard, and several others.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 07:37 am: Edit

You should never be embarassed about liking the taste of anything. It's better to trust your own taste buds than to trust what others might think your taste buds ought to like.

By Heiko on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 02:53 am: Edit

"I don't know whether or not I should be embarassed for liking 51"

Definitely not. Although I don't know 51 yet, I think Pernod brought it out to have a chance against Ricard, which was much better than the original Pernod Pastis. The French like 51 and Ricard the most (according to statistics).
Do you know Absente? Pernod is about that good, maybe even a little 'nastier'

By Absinthespoon on Saturday, August 04, 2001 - 08:45 pm: Edit

I love pastis. My favorites are Pastis 51 and Bardouin. I've never had "regular" Pernod, so I don't know whether or not I should be embarassed for liking 51, but I think it's really yummy. To me, Herbsaint tastes too much of fennel seed. It's good to cook with but not to drink.

By Heiko on Saturday, August 04, 2001 - 09:46 am: Edit

"I regularly switch between Pastis and Absinthe. Generally Pastis during the week, Absinthe on the weekend. Absinthe is just too intense sometimes."

Good point - drinking absinthe too often spoils the fun of it (any special effects become less until you don't feel them anymore)

Going to sleep after a glass of Bardouin is much better (I think it makes you sleepy rather fast) than after a glass of absinthe.

By Pataphysician on Saturday, August 04, 2001 - 08:00 am: Edit

I regularly switch between Pastis and Absinthe. Generally Pastis during the week, Absinthe on the weekend. Absinthe is just too intense sometimes. It really gets me "up". It's great to have a few glasses and go out to a club or a party or even watch a movie (Absinthe really does affect my visual sensitivity).

But, I keep Pastis around for an everyday, relaxing drink. In fact, I've found I'm really losing interest in my old favorites: Bourbon, Rum, Gin. Even the best of them seem boring in comparison to a run-of-the-mill Pastis. And some Pastis are more flavorful and complex than any Spanish Absinthe.

I've had Herbsaint, La Muse Verte, Bardouin, Ricard, Pernod, Prado, maybe some others I can't recall. Bardouin is my regular. La Muse Verte is my favorite, but it's getting ridiculously expensive: $40 for 750ml. Bardouin is creeping up in price: it was $18 a few months ago, then $20, now $22.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, August 04, 2001 - 03:32 am: Edit

All I can find in Bangkok are Pernod, Ricard, and Prado. I did spot a fourth pastis label recently but didn't pay much attention, it wasn't anything I ever heard of, and after the awful experience of Prado (yuck) I wasn't feeling very experimental. I can get Herbsaint carried in from USA but honestly -- pastis no longer holds much interest for me.

By Heiko on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 06:25 pm: Edit

It's also hard to get good Pastis in Germany - most stores only have Pernod (that I find rather nasty). Ricard is really, really good - but there's hardly any store that sells it. I bought Bardouin and Lou Garagai (both rather similar) and Janot (similar to Ricard) from a German online shop - the shop owner buys those brands in France, there seems to be no official import.

If I had to decide, I'd say Ricard or Janot were my favorite(s). Bardouin and Garagai both have a very intense flavor - really good, but you can't drink too much of it (and they're both more expensive). On the other hand, the Bardouin flavor can be rather addicting, I really don't know what's better...

By Perruche_Verte on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Cool, a pastis thread.

I've only tried Pernod, Ricard and La Muse Verte, and would rank them from worst to best in that order. The first I tried years ago -- I had just gotten "legal" and I think I'd picked it up from a literary reference, not understanding that the old Pernod was absinthe and the modern Pernod is -- well, pleasant enough with ice, not actively offensive, but not that impressive. Those were mostly the days of cheap vodka, cheap beer and 6-for-a-dollar ramen noodles anyway.

Ricard and La Muse Verte both have flavors that remind me a little of Segarra. They are great in hot weather. I'll drink them if I don't have any absinthe handy.

We don't seem to get the "good stuff" around here. I have not been able to find Bardouin, Versinthe or Herbsaint, and I've tried most of the large liquor stores.

By Artemis on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Originally you didn't have to become a member here, you could use a different name every time or no name at all.

I set up a web-based email box just for the purpose of giving an address here in case people wanted to write to me, and that was Artemisia@whatever.net. It *was* based upon the name of the plant. I later shortened it to Artemis, not giving much thought to the fact Artemis is a woman. But for a long time I did go out of my way to avoid saying anything that would reveal my sex one way or the other (Kallisti thought I was a woman for a long time).

But the name of the plant IS taken from the name of the goddess, so it amounts to the same thing.

To stay on topic, the only pastis I have are Herbsaint and La Muse Verte, both of which are nice in their own way, both very herbal, but nothing like absinthe. I sometimes dose the Herbsaint with a few drops of Peychaud bitters.

By Darkdaze on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Interesting. I thought he might have taken it from Wormwoods scientific nomenclature. You learn something new everyday!

By Wolfgang on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Ho, by the way, when I checked the Bardouin web site, I understood where Artemis took is nickname...

"ARMOISE

This is a vivacious dark green plant, dedicated in antiquity to the Goddess of the Hunt."

In the french version of the site they say it was dedicated to the birth godess Artemis.

http://www.franceway.com/regions/provence/pastis/pastis.htm

By Wolfgang on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 02:35 pm: Edit

Sometimes, we just don't have anymore absinthe so we drink pastis... This is a place to talk about your pastis experiences and share your tasting notes.

Good news for Canadian forumits from Quebec, the SAQ is about to sell Pastis Bardouin in about 2 weeks! (I guess they were unable to get Versinthe because of some legal isues about the label so they bought some cases of Bardouin instead...). I recommend you to stock it because they probably bought only a very small quantity (as it was the case for Pastis d'antan Combier, another excellent pastis that is now impossible to find around here). I will buy 3 bottles as soon as it's available and I with that, I should be able to wait until Jade's holy grail hits the market ;-)

I can't realy post tasting notes because I have tasted less pastis than absinthe... Up to now, my list is limited to the very short list from the SAQ : Pernod, Berger, Ricard, Pastis d'antan Combier. The only interesting pastis in this list was the Combier. The only Pastis available in some bars that is drinkable is Ricard.

I'm now drinking a modified version of Ricard (I infused 2/3 of a bottle with a mint bag and a tisane bag named "night of dream" for no more than 1 min. The night of dream tisane is very complexe. On the box they list about 5-6 herbs, then they say "...spice, herbs". It has a strong effect strongly related to the name... You relax, you sleep and you do beautifull sweet dreams ;-). The small quantity of herb added to my special Ricard is not as strong as a tisane but it taste better and more complexe that the pastis alone.

Let's share !(and you lucky French drinkers, you can brag about your large choice of pastis ;-) ).

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation