Of all the places...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Of all the places...
By Missthing on Saturday, August 04, 2001 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Aaagh.. I'm melting.... Melting!! Hehehe.

Don_Walsh, thanks for the geography but ummm, I'm not sure what you mean as a hint... though I did live in Thailand for a year and have visited the country many times since ... are you referring in some way to the impending launch of Jade products or ... or ... ? The relative distance between Perth & Sydney to Bangkok bears what relation to UK Absinthe popularity? I'm lost! I'm dazed and confused. Pass me another glass...

By Midas on Saturday, August 04, 2001 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Hi Missthing. I really can't say at the moment. It's a possibility.
Anyway, This is the article. Remember, this is a trash mag:

New Weekly magazine. 23 July 2001

'Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder'-by Shelley Seddon.

"In Moulin Rouge, Henri de Tolouse-Lautrec, the crazy painter played by John Leguizamo, drinks something that looks suspiciously like lime cordial. Well, it's actually absinthe, a drink once popular among the artistic elite for it's reported 'inspirational' effects.
"Absinthe contains an hallucinogen derived from the botanical wormwood called thujone- which will literally eat your brain. In addition to killing brain cells, users also feel like they have been enveloped ina vivid green hue or fog, nicknamed The Green Fairy.
"In late 19th century cafe society in Paris, absinthe was at the height of it's popularity. It's ardent fans included Vincent Van Gogh and Tolouse-Lautrec. And now absinthe is making a comeback in Europe, where it's legal in the Czech Republic, Spain and Portugal.
"A new legal version of absinthe called Absente has been created in the US, without the hallucinogenic element. It's virtually the same drink-bright green with a licorice taste. The Green Fairy can be unleashed if you follow the proper procedure: Pour a little Absente in a glass, place a sugar cube on a slotted spoon across the glass, and pour water over the sugar to release the bright green colour.
"If you're brave enough, check out www.absente.com"

Braaaaaainnnns.....brrraaaaaaaiiiiinnnsss.....

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, August 04, 2001 - 10:59 am: Edit

Missthing, western Australia is closer to Bangkok than to Sydney. That's a hint.

By Missthing on Saturday, August 04, 2001 - 10:16 am: Edit

Hello, newbie West Oztraylian here, just curious... do you (& other Sydneysiders & East Coast residents p'haps) think we might see a similar trend to the UK with Absinthe popularity? No-one I know of here has come near it before and I haven't seen or heard of any local press... not yet...

By Midas on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Hi guys. Long time no type on my part. Just had a big career change. I recently became a travel adviser. I had the pleasure of doing what is normally a 3 month course in two weeks. Much toil. Anyway, a trashy "gossip magazine" here just did a brief article on absinthe, which was a thinly veiled advertisement for Absente. I'll type it up when I get some time later tonight.

-Robert.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation