Difference between Segarra and Deva

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Difference between Segarra and Deva
By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Le singe a une bouteille de douleur uncorked pour vous.

By _Blackjack on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 08:54 pm: Edit

"Le singe et dans...ou est le singe? Le singe a disparu!"

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 04:00 pm: Edit

I couldn't resist...

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 11:36 am: Edit

There may be no K in "money" but there are many K to be made in Monkey$!

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 11:11 am: Edit

'Ad' nauseam indeed.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 11:06 am: Edit

I believe this is from a POTA Press Kit (Not to be confused with the Dirty Monkey - property of HeadPro LTD.)

Damn Dirty Moguls!

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 10:53 am: Edit

It also applies to the merchandising aspect of each film. Similarily to the Dirty Monkey.

Dirty Monkey Happy Meals, Dirty Monkey Golden Snack Cakes w/ Creme Filling, Plush Toys, Posters, Lunch Boxes, ad neaseum.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 10:21 am: Edit

Oh, I get it. So James Bond films are a 'franchise' in the perverse H'wood sense. So are/were Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street?
Jaws? Jurassic Park?

Except there are no franchisors or franchisees in these franchises, which is why the meaning is so non-appropos. I trust this usage was not coined by Absintheur.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 09:51 am: Edit

Don, so the studio can afford to make more direct to video "art" films.

Every blockbuster movie can finance up to 4 Kevin Bacon films, 6 James Woods films or 10!!! Steve Guttenberg films

By Leela on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 09:50 am: Edit

"Franchise" is a term co-opted by Hollywood to describe ongoing serial money-makers, such as Star Wars, Halloween, Indian Jones, and so on. They don't mean it in the traditional business sense as in McDonald's or KFC wherein anyone can license the name and business plan and practices.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 08:38 am: Edit

The real damned shame is that the original story, script, treatment et al was by Leigh Brackett, an old friend of mine, and wife to Edmond Hamilton, both sadly departed now, and both veterans of a lot of high quality SF scace opera, which is all Star Wars was intended to be. The original trilogy reflected hands-on from Leigh although it got 'kiddied up'. The present prequal SUCKS at least so far, reflecting the fact that Leigh died two decades ago.

I really don't understand the whole 'franchise' thing anyway, kindly explain.

By Heiko on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 09:25 am: Edit

This website is EVIL - everytime you translate something, you lose part of your soul, you know?

"Babylon a fight against the right,
Babylon a fight..."
(The Twinkle Brothers)

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 08:17 am: Edit

O brinquedo não é o peixe do Babylon.

By Wolfgang on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

Cheri :

At last I`m not the only one around to HATE this ridiculous stupid creature !!!

By Wolfgang on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 08:00 am: Edit

--- Le Leela la sucrerie ... ---
Funny, I speek french but can`t understand a word of this gibbering (or shall I say poetry ?). It must be this damn Babelfish... It seems Head has found a new toy ?

By Heiko on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 06:50 am: Edit

"I'll probably kill myself just as fast as this as with any other artificial sweetener"

Before you kill yourself, you might want to know that artificial sweeteners are the best appetizers you can get. Since I don't use any natural sugar anymore I can definitely eat more (that's what I want btw). Sweeteners raise the insuline level without giving any calories to the body - therefore you get hungry and in the end eat more calories than would've been in the sugar.
It seems to work with me as far as I can tell.

By Cheri on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 04:16 am: Edit

I kept hoping that Jar Jar would be killed in one of the battle scenes. OY he was annoying!!!!!!!!!!!

By Leela on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 11:02 pm: Edit

No Aspartame in the Hansen's...it's sweetned with Sucralose. Sucralose is sucrose with a chlorine atom substituted for one of the oxygen atoms, so your body doesn't recognize it yet it still tastes really good. I'll probably kill myself just as fast as this as with any other artificial sweetener, but anyway...

I love Ewan McGregor as young Obi-Wan Kenobi. Sigh. But I agree that the Star Wars thing has gotten pretty obnoxious. Feh on George Lucas for ever coming up with Jar-Jar Binks..

By Verawench on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Leela, the aspartame should definitely fuel those secondary effects.

Star Wars is the most obnoxious movie franchise in history. It's like George Lucas, age 7, playing with a bunch of action figures. And what the HELL was Ewan thinking? He plays Yeats in one movie, an incarnation of Iggy Pop in another, a heroin junkie in another, and then skips over to the togas and phallic weaponry. Shame on you Mr. McGregor.

By Leela on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 10:23 pm: Edit

No, I heard the name of the next Star Wars installment, and it sucks: "Attack of the Clones." Or maybe it was "The Clones Attack." Anyway, it sounded like a B-grade Sci-Fi film. It's the freakin' Clone Wars, which reshaped the Old Republic into the Empire, the movie should have a grander name ferchrissake!

Leela, drinking Serpis and Hansen's Diet Kiwi-Strawberry Soda. Ok, so I'm a freak...but it sure tastes good and has fewer calories than the famed Serpis Slerpis.

By Verawench on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 08:45 pm: Edit

"Leela the sugar refinery, hour for Pak of the blood of wood resentment of interval of flight of drink 12 of impulses of the width eight of impulse and hup of Hu which it respects in the piece of the south. "

Hup of Hu... is that the next Star Wars installment?

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Neither do I. teehee

By Leela on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Head, I wish I spoke French. Can you try again in Spanish for me?

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Le Leela la sucrerie, heure pour Pak du sang de la rancune en bois d'intervalle de vol de la boisson 12 d'impulsions de la largeur huit d'impulsion et de hup de Hu qu'il respecte dans le morceau du sud.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 11:15 am: Edit

--- I'm kind of free of any special categorization of what I am ---

Well, I see it as a cultural movement, not as some kind of personal limitation or what not. I don't know why I tough you may know something about goth clubs in Paris, it was probably the evil influence of Serpis...

By Heiko on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 10:46 am: Edit

I thought recently I don't have to post anymore because you usually say what I wanted to say only you were a little faster. Wouldn't it add very nicely to the soap-opera character of this forum if we found out we were twins seperated at birth? ;-)
I don't know any goth clubs - I have never been a goth, I only know one or two.
I'm kind of free of any special categorization of what I am and don't mind going f.e. to Reggae-concerts wearing all black clothes and have my hair cut short. Hmm, does that make me a goth at heart: I like black clothes (not goth style, but black) and have a faible for 'middle-age' harmonies in music (you find those in good reggae as well).

Leela, Head,
sorry, 7-11 hasn't made it to Germany yet (but it's always smiling brother WalMart is here already). Be sure I would have tried Slerpis long ago if we had the ingredients!

By Leela on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 01:11 am: Edit

Why I love Babelfish:

Note!!! My Heikosan!!! Welcomely to sieved eleven. Concern inside and to enjoy you our cherry peppered ice beverage. We have sweet and condoms and sweet peppered condoms. Please you buy also our up-to-date not attainable Amex Geldkarten. They are unfavorable and not for the serious customer. Have one scrimpy day! Filters eleven memory Troll

By Verawench on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 12:02 am: Edit

"Sieben Elf Speicher Troll"

You'd make Rilke weep with fright and confusion, Head.

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Achtung!!! Mein Heikosan!!!

Willkommen bis sieben elf. Gehen Sie innen an und genießen Sie unser Kirsche gewürztes Eisgetränk. Wir haben Süßigkeit und condoms und Süßigkeit gewürzte condoms. Bitte kaufen Sie auch unsere aktuell nicht erreichbaren Amex-Geldkarten. Sie sind und nicht für den ernsten Kunden ungünstig.

Haben Sie einen scrimpy Tag!
Sieben Elf Speicher Troll

By Leela on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Wolfgang, I don't know if you're anywhere in the world where there's a 7-11 or not, but if you can get a cherry slurpee (or icee), add Serpis and join the cult of the Serpis Slerpis. And if you're not anywhere that this bit of trash American culture exists, then if you ever come to the US to visit you will have to try it then.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 02:01 pm: Edit

I will smoke another Sampoerna Extra clove just for you heiko ;-)

(and by the way, I'm going to Paris in November so if you know someone there in the gothic scene, do you have an event (or night club or whatever) to recommend ? ...Or maybe we can set some kind of Paris get together with Andy and Peter ?)

Wolf. (who will eventualy go to Germany....)

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Heiko, I love you!

(No I'm straight...but I just love this guy!)

Ok...sorry, I'm just another Serpis minion now...(Head, would you cut my head now and install a serpis prosthesis instead ?...we don't ear you much these day...are you on vacation or did Vera turned you into another submissive slave ?)

I just fall under the spell of the red Lady and ordered some more Deva and Segarra to give her the chance to mate into another bottle of devilish mix. I'm drinking my last glass now, and I'm adding more and more Serpis to it... It taste so funky now but I'm having fun ;-)

I just received an order from Nightbreed record (UK) with my Disjecta Membra CD and a Deine lakaien CD. I waited more than a month for those CDs so I took the day off today to listen to it and drink what's left of my absinthe supply.

Sorry... but somewhat I'm sure you understand...My eyes are WIDE open!

By Heiko on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 01:03 pm: Edit

If you want a really really good mix, take Serpis and Segarra half and half (the best Segarra 50:50 mix I ever tried). But better close your eyes not to see the color - it looks like shit (and I mean that! It really looks like fluid shit...).

Damn, I don't smoke anymore, but I guess a clove cig would be good with absinthe...
Maybe a nose of snuff will do...contains menthol oil :-)
don't laugh, I'm really consuming snuff to get my nicotine - it helps (maybe only psychologically, but who cares?)

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 08:19 am: Edit

Sorry Lady Serpis

Yesterday I tasted my devilish mix (witch now contain about 1/3 Serpis) with a smaller water ratio (about 1:2) and the taste of it was closer to my original idea of what's the taste of absinthe : bitter! (probably because of 2/3 of the mix is un-sweetened and because Serpis contain much wormwood (or other armoise).

I drank my first glass, smoking a Sampoerna-Extra clove and I was in heaven! The taste of clove is perfect with a strong absinthe. For the second glass, I used half a sugar cube and it was one of the most enjoyable absinthe glas I had.

So, why am I sharing this babeling with you ? Because it's important not to be affraid to experiment.(and because I'm boored). The more you taste, the more you experiment, the more you learn and develop your palate. I wouln't drink Serpis on its own but now I know there's something good about it (and it's certainly not the color). My appology to the red lady for those long month of dusty loneliness in my cabinet.

By Verawench on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 02:59 pm: Edit

"Why do you say "thank you Head" ?"

That is between me and Mr. Prosthesis. For any further questions with regard to this matter, please feel free to contact my attorney.

By Wolfgang on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 02:48 pm: Edit

...I would like to share that dishes with Alfred Jarry...

By Wolfgang on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 02:46 pm: Edit

I now created a devilish dish under the horrible influence of my new deva-segarra-herring-SERPIS mix.

Natcho cheezy oysters!!!

Just put some smoked oysters over natcho and add some cheeze. 10 min at 350F and enjoy with your D.S.H.Serpix absinthe ! Note : the Serpis bottle must gave gattered dust for some month before mixing ;-).

To answer your indirect sugestion LordHob, Serpis have a nice effect if you can mix it in a way that will give you a chance to drink too much of it ;-).

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 12:12 pm: Edit

For starters could always sue the Head for :

losing the expensive meal you no doubt consumed prior to acting on his advice.

losing the lining of your stomach.

increasing the number of blood vessels visible in your eyes (cosmetic surgery is expensive).

ruining your expensive carpet and sofa with vomit stains.

ruining the expensive designer clothes you were wearing.

and putting your life at risk.

A good lawyer should be able to get quite a few thousand out of the Head.

By Wolfgang on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 10:24 am: Edit

Half a bottle is more than 15 Oz... witch is about 10 large glass. I did it once in a 10 hour time frame and I was almost ok (and still fully awake at 5 in the morning). But, well, shall we say "kids, don't do that at home " ?

Why do you say "thank you Head" ? Did he told you "I pay you all the absinthes you'r able to drink tonight" ? And after that, did he cut your head and fix you with one of his legendary prostesis ?

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 04:15 am: Edit

By Verawench on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 03:41 am: Edit

All I know
is that last night
I was puking my guts out
after consuming half a bottle of Deva.

Thank you, Head. Thank you.

By Heiko on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 02:30 am: Edit

btw. I can't say I either love or hate Serpis. I quite like a glass of it - but I can't drink too much of it. It's not bad and I'd say it is better than some others. Only I could never get any pronounced effects from it - maybe something like Deva but not as strong...
That's why I usually don't buy it.
Herring is definitely worse in taste, but when I drink it fast and a lot, it makes me want to dance and shout and talk and sing - that's why I sometimes drink it.

By Heiko on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 02:11 am: Edit

There are absinthes that make you feel clear headed and awake and others that make you stare at the wall...

Three glasses of Segarra and my mind flies somewhere else while I sit back and stare out of the window. I have a La Bleue that is just about that: two or three glasses and you're in the right mood to listen to music while sitting in a comfortable chair. Three glasses of Deva and you're much clearer and more awake. Five (or more) glasses of Herring and you're dancing like hell.

On the other hand: when you feel totally pissed from Segarra, drink another glass of it and you'll see it also keeps you awake (only your mind is not really clear anymore...)

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 01:58 am: Edit

You're probably right.People on this forum either think it tastes great or think it tastes like shit. I belong to the former category. There's only one way to find out for yourself.

By Missthing on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 06:38 pm: Edit

I'll agree that they drink like fish in Ireland. I could never keep up.

I have only drunk Deva so far but I've found a very similar experience. I've hardly been able to keep myself away from the stuff - and I normally *never* drink on my own - after 2-3 glasses I feel pleasantly clearheaded cozy and warm, bemused is probably a good way to describe it - and increasingly I am starting to feel it *does* have something of an aphrodisiac effect. I'd never believe the hype of anything being aphrodisiac, especially not Absinthe as there's so much bumph out there, but I am certainly being surprised in this case...

It also mixes absolutely brilliantly with Chinotto, and I've not woken up feeling any hangover effects whatsoever.

By Matei on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 03:09 pm: Edit

How is this Serpis stuff? From what I gather you either like it or you don't...

By Zack on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 01:33 pm: Edit

I think the taste comes from some kinda petroleum distillate.

By Wolfgang on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Talking about the red whore, does somebody knows where this woody taste come from ?

By Wolfgang on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Funny, I just gave it another chance just before reading your post ;-). I had about 10 oz left of an old mix (of Deva-Segarra and a bit a Herring in witch I had infused a little bit too much mint) that was gattering dust side by side with the red lady. Having nothing else to drink, I tryed to throw about 5 oz of Serpis in the 10 oz mix (it was yellow-green but now it's just orange...damn Serpis!). Affraid of the extremely woody taste of Sepis, I poured 1.5 Oz of this devilish mix in a tall glass and used a tiny sugar cube and 1:4 water(After all, I "had to" use my Frenchman silver repro spoon ;-) ).

..Small sip...sip sip...sipsipsipsip...What? it's drinkable ?...even enjoyable ?! Yummy! I'm just drinking the whole SC catalog in one sip ! Spain in a glass ;-).

I'm ridiculous but I'm having fun.

I'm fooling around, waiting for Jade's and some serious absinthes...

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 10:32 am: Edit

You should try that bottle of Serpis that is gathering dust in your drinks cabinet.

By Wolfgang on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 10:30 am: Edit

After having tasted 7 brand of spanish absinthe, I can say that Deva50 is the best of the lot for the spaced out / clear headed effect.

For the best of both worlds, try mixing Deva50 and Segarra (50-50) in a small bottle, wait for a week and taste it.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

"After 4 glasses of any liquor(s) ranging from 90-140 proof, you're probably going to be "quite nearly pissed.""

You shouldn't assume this too readily Webfly, this man lives in Dublin. Any self respecting Dubliner (man or woman) would take offence at this suggestion. 4 measures of spirits is within the legal limit for driving in the Republic of Ireland (and well below the 'unofficial' legal limit if you're in a country village). In Dublin 4 glasses of spirits is a quiet sober drink with friends or a little warm up before starting some serious drinking. I am not joking here.

I have a friend who moved from Belfast to the USA (Michigan). He was horrified at the lack of alcohol consumption there and what is considered to be a state of intoxication. Maybe it's where he lives but he'd have 5 or 6 drinks, be in a state of very mild tipsiness and he'd be the 'drunkest' person in the bar. You want to see some serious drinking then spend Friday night out on the town in Belfast or Dublin.

By Webfly on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 09:14 am: Edit

After 4 glasses of any liquor(s) ranging from 90-140 proof, you're probably going to be "quite nearly pissed." I suggest you take it easy and just enjoy your absinthe.

Experiment with differing amounts of sugar or water. Share your discoveries with friends, compare notes.

You will find that a different absinthe will appeal to you at different times.

Above all, enjoy it!

By Matei on Sunday, August 05, 2001 - 08:47 am: Edit

I'm about halfway through a bottle of Segarra (not all at once mind you) and I have noticed several differences. Keep in mind this is only my second bottle of absinthe so it is all relatively new to me!

Segarra has a slightly better taste, however it gave me a wicked hangover the next day. Deva was a little harder to choke down (that anise is quite strong) however I felt fine the next day, even slightly refreshed!

Also, after three or four glasses of Deva (1 part Deva, 3 water - no sugar) I had quite a pleasant buzz - a bit different than I have experienced with other spirits. Quite nice. With Segarra, after 4 glasses I am quite nearly pissed. It is some strong stuff. Anyone else notice this?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation | Move Conversation