A few things

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: A few things
By Dblplus on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 08:12 am: Edit

Thanks for the Pubshop tip; yes that is the same set I paid way too much for at Ildi & Co.; I told you they were a bit snooty. :-)

When I smash my set in a rage, I'll be sure to go to Pubshop first.

By Thegreenimp on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 11:12 pm: Edit

You can get Pernod water decanters at www.Pubshop.com for ten dollars a decanter.

By Dblplus on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Well, I work at one of the world's largest retail and wholesalers for leather/latex, SM, bondage, fetish companies. A little haze gets the morning going. Seriously, I've only had one glass, and by the time I get to work (30 minutes) after drinking it, it's mellowed out. I did experience a tinge of paranoia on a very crowded train car but got over it. Overall my experience of it is positive, and I kind of sense a similar effect to a mild narcotic.

The most absinthe I have had in one sitting is two glasses, and three in an entire day, so I can't really say that I have had a hangover. A few weeks ago I was at a street fair, had an absinthe before, then a while after I got there, but went on to smoke some cannibis, and later a beer, so I can't attribute a hangover to just absinthe.

I have noticed the stomach thing, it does seem to curb a queasy stomach, most likely due to the anis, but I suppose the wormwood too.

By Darkdaze on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 10:17 pm: Edit

You're a brave soul for drinking absinthe before work. One glass of Deva 70 and my coordination is shot. Although I've heard that it's unncessary, I too like a bit of sugar w/ Deva. Like you say, it kicks the aftertaste.
I don't know about the empty stomach thing, but I do know that it has a calming affect on a bitter stomach.
I have a question for you, does Deva give you bad hangovers? I always feel rough the next day, maybe I need some "hair of the dog".

By Dblplus on Monday, August 06, 2001 - 09:53 pm: Edit

I'm a new poster here, but have been reading Le Fee Verte site for a while. Thanks to the people for keeping it up. I finally tried my first absinthe(s) from Spain. I did the Deva 50 thing first; that bottle is almost gone. Shared it with friends, almost all of them described the feeling as "warm".

I have since received Deva 70, yet to try, and Mary Mayans Collector's 70, which is not too different in flavor from Deva, perhaps a bit smoother, and the color a bit brighter. It has no more alchohol taste than Deva, which isnt much. I like to use sugar in it, but I don't stir it much, as I like the last drop to be sweet. Sort of kicks out any bitter aftertaste. The first glass of Deva I drank I detected a slight bitter taste, but not bad. Subsequent glasses, I have not tasted the bitterness. This may be like the first time I went to the mud bath spas in Calistoga. The mud smells "funky" the first time, then you get used to after that.

I now have a bottle of NS and Serpis on order, and look forward to trying them.

For anyone here in the SF Bay area I found a nice (if not a bit snooty) little French-esque shop in Berkeley on College avenue. Called Ildi and Co. they sell a nice reproduction Pernod Fils coctail set. A heavy glass water decanter costs $35 and the individual Pernod glasses are tall fluted with measure lines for the absinthe and water, run $12 each.

One last question. Does anyone notice the difference of absinthe on an empty stomach as opposed to after food? I have tried it twice in the morning before work (just one glass!) and the effect is more evident. It makes for an interesting train ride into the city!

Jon

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation