But seriously: How do you plan to celebrate your first bottle of Jade?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: But seriously: How do you plan to celebrate your first bottle of Jade?
By Treeman5 on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 07:45 am: Edit

Hey guys wazzzzuppppppp

I have been completely swamped with work since Nola. I'm hardly ever on here these days..Still checkin up on you all, I see the forum is still growing..I also see Beth got married, congratulations Beth and Mr. Morrigan..Hopefully able to make Vegas, we'll see. I'm jusst getting ready for a trip to Washington for a little vacation, and maybe going back to Nola in Sept., hopefully. Well goodbye for now. Matt

By Artemis on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 02:14 pm: Edit

"thanks for the info artemis, i vaguely have a fuzzy memory of treeman's departure, and of momentarily wondering why you weren't walking with us since you were staying only a block or so away"

That's news to me. I didn't know you were there. I followed Ted to his car because I was carrying part of his gear. After that, I was just wanting to be in my room and not there yet, with only the vaguest awareness of my feet moving, much less whether I was headed in the right direction. People around me on the street were as shadows, until the one who loomed up whom I thought was going to rob me. He only wanted to help me up because I had fallen right dead on my ass. Don't believe anybody who says absinthe will not make you drunker than a tree full of Choeuttes ...

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Just a small caveat, BEI is Justin's (former?) operation, BEL is the marketing arm for JL products, they are not the same at all, totally different ownership. We all love Justin, don't get me wrong. But BEI is not BEL any more than Texaco is Texas A&M. And for the record I am not a part of BEL. Beyond that deponent sayeth not.

By Melinelly on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 01:03 pm: Edit

well, lookie who crawled out of the shadows =) thanks for the info artemis, i vaguely have a fuzzy memory of treeman's departure, and of momentarily wondering why you weren't walking with us since you were staying only a block or so away heh. treeman, do hope you'll be able to trek over to Vegas Dec. 1st (see Vegas Gathering thread)

By Artemis on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Tree Man!!

Glad to know you're alive.

I remember the gathering.

I remember that if Ted Breaux had not put you into the back seat of his Cadillac to take you home at roughly 4:30 in the morning, you would probably STILL be behind the cathedral in New Orleans.

Best wishes,
A.

By Treeman5 on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 12:12 pm: Edit

I can truely say that Jade Absinthes are truely THE BEST "almost commercially" available absinthe anywhere. This is an unsolicited endorsement and I have no affiliations with BEI or Jade, just fortunate enough to have sampled some at the gathering in Nola back in March. To everyone there, Big Hello howareya?? Ted, Artemis, Chrissippvs, Morrigan, Paige and Royale, Mike and Allison, everyone else I missed you're not forgotten just blurry. Read my lips.."BUY THIS ABSINTHE" ok that's my public service announcement, now back to your regularly scheduled program........

By Missthing on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 05:24 am: Edit

I think Jade only need be concerned about copycat labels & products if it is planned to produce something significantly different from what history has already garnered us with: from what Don & Ted have been saying that I have read here on this forum the plan is to have all details as authentic as possible to the original packing of turn of the century Absinthe, which largely derived from Pernod Fils, and in which case the source material is already freely available. Many current brands of pastis and some Absinthes have this traditional style of labelling. If however the product is as claimed to be and significantly more authentic in taste than any other contemporary liquor, then no matter how copycat the labelling, just as Pernod Fils has the crowning glory of the past, Jade will be the Queen of our modern era.

By Mochit on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 12:11 am: Edit

Umm, all this talk about Thai Absinthe has made me thirsty like American businessman at the Thermae... when oh when Don and Ted, roughly speaking, think you possibly maybe within the ballpark of not commiting to a specific timeframe might one hazard an unspecific general guess as to the green brain peelant being sorta kinda ready for to ship to its already jonesing public?

Just Curious

By Timk on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Personally, I hope Jade looks somewhat like Pernod Fils, but thats just my opinion

By Wormwood on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 12:01 pm: Edit

As far as copycat labels are concerned, it has all happened before.

Last century from 50 feet away almost every brand of absinthe on the bar looked exactly like Pernod Fils, maybe they will all look like Jade this century.

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 11:56 am: Edit

Kids, please don't shake that heavy box with BEL's return address on it.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 11:14 am: Edit

I was a genius when it came to figuring out what was in my Christmas presents. I enjoyed the challenge of figuring out the contents based on the sounds and heft and box size than I did with the actual presents. A symptom of a scientific disposition, I think.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 08:37 am: Edit

This is Ted's side of the business we are talking about, he makes these decisions, I tremble and obey.

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 08:23 am: Edit

Indeed.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 07:57 am: Edit

One year when I was a kid, I found out where those presents were hidden. By the time Christmas came round I knew pretty much what was in them all. Christmas has never been the same since.

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 07:28 am: Edit

When you were a kid counting the days until your birthday, did you beg your parents for hints about the presents?

Now that you're an adult waiting for the release of Jade, are you asking its creators for hints about the packaging?

Speaking only for myself, I prefer to be surprised.

By Aion on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 06:00 am: Edit

Don,
copycats will find a way to reproduce the
outer presentation easily within very short time
if they want to.
But I am sure you agree with me that they will not be able to copy the quality of the product itself.
So there may be a lot of good looking bottles with
swill in it.
No need to be afraid about competitors!
A.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 05:26 am: Edit

Friends, it's simple. The appearance of our products will spawn a bunch of wannabe imitations and counter-products by competitors some extant and others who will spring fully grown from the very earth like children of the Hydra's teeth. So the less is known in advance the better. This is the only repeat ONLY reason we are being cagey about pricing, bottling, size, and other details.

By Aion on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 01:54 am: Edit

Scooby:
Do you really expect to get an answer to
this question if details about how the bottle is
sealed are keeping secret??

Btw what was size of the vintage bottlings?

A.

By Scoobydoo on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 01:24 am: Edit

Haven't been here in a while...
So what size is the bottle of JL going to be?
0.7 or 1 liter??

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 07:05 pm: Edit

For those who may find themselves stranded in Southern California with a bottle and a thirst, here is the place to quench it:

CAFÉ FIGARO

In the heart of L.A.'s Los Feliz district, a mad frenchman with francs to spare decided to open the "perfect" Belle Epoque café. He scoured the French countryside and returned with a disassembled 19th-century bar in tow. Everything -- the chipped floor tiles, the zinc-topped counter, the flaking mirrors, the tromp d'oeil ceiling, and so on -- is from the fin de siècle, almost eerily so. I've never seen its like, not even in France. And yes, you may bring your bottle of absinthe and drink it -- with a corking fee. (If intercontinental bistro transplantation is against your principles, forget you ever read this.)

Cafe Figaro

1802 N. Vermont Avenue, Los Feliz (323) 662-1587 Open Sunday and Tuesday through Thursday, 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 6:30 p.m. to midnight (bar until 2 a.m.). Breakfast and light lunch in their bakery next door. AE, MC, V

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Posts about cork quality? Heck, my dimestore crystal ball really works!

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 02:06 pm: Edit

You'r right Heiko, all a cork can do is to "cork" a bottle... But it's wine tradition you know ....

I strongly believe in synthetic cork,(for wine or wathever...)

But maybe absinthe, with it's high alcohol content, is less sensitive to cork than wine.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 01:01 pm: Edit

All JL products will be obtained either directly from BEL at www.bestabsinthe.com or the official distributor in your country.

We cannot comment further on our bottling at this time.

By Heiko on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 12:53 pm: Edit

I'd need a collector's bottle that is sealed with a safety lock that cannot be opened until 2050 ;-)

Will your bottles be corked? I always wonder why better pastis (or wine) still needs a cork to prove the high quality content... all a cork can do is spoil the content, IMO.
But, nevermind, I don't mind too much what the bottling looks like as long as the absinthe is good! :-)

By Spm on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 12:26 pm: Edit

"getting JL products out there for drinking"

Is your plan to sell direct to the customers though a web site? Or are we going to purchase the product through other venders like SC? Or?

The collectors bottle and long-term storage bottle are good ideas but I would do these things after you have it up and running.

Shawn

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 10:37 am: Edit

Our main focus will remain, as far as I am concerned, getting JL products out there for drinking.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 08:22 am: Edit

Wolf,

This is my only fear, that I will have run out of juice at a key moment, and all I have is a bottle of vintage stylie buried in the floorboards. However, I think I will take that chance. I think a collectors bottle, Ted’s idea, is fascinating, but I would not expect it, as their venture is already so in depth and precise, it is not really fair to expect such a think. However, identification of bottling seems fair enough.

Ted,

Thanks for the info, and if you guys do decide to go with a special, storage geared bottle, let me know, I will take a few off of your hands.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 07:56 am: Edit

I guess we are proving that Cheavlier's joke post was pretty damned accurate...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 07:42 am: Edit

Damn it! Tava, why have you said that! ;-) Now that I think about it, I have no choice but to keep an unnopened bottle of every Jade`s absinthes! No joke, I agree with you that some kind of batch identification would be of great interest to collectors. The problem is I will have to always keep an extra ''buffer'' bottle to protect such a collection from my gigantic thirst ;-) and that means lots of money...

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 07:34 am: Edit

We may consider an option for those who want a bottle specifically for long-term storage. We haven't firmly decided anything where that is concerned just yet, but we should be able to provide for just that if the buyer so desires.

By Blygdon on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 06:52 am: Edit

MC your comment on not having the stomach for selling. Does that mean not having the marketing game/plan of attack side of the coin or does it mean the insecurities that go along with whether your creations are appealing to the public, as judged by sales or interest level? Either way is nerve-wracking for an artist. Hammered down rock indeed.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 06:46 am: Edit

Ted,

Will the first batch be marked as such, or will there be a date of actual distillation. I and possibly a few other forum members have intentions of buying an extra bottle or two to put away for a while. I can only imagine that your product, especially the earlier brews will be of great collector value in the future. I think it would be great, if in fifty or even a hundred years there would be someone discussing the bottle that they have bought at auction, or have received through a “housecleaning.” Maybe just something that I can pass down to my siblings, for consumption or auctioning purposes. I know that there is currently a sufficient market for your product, and that going to these measures are not completely necessary, but it would be quite nice.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 01:19 am: Edit

Artemis, your moral argument is right on but your legal one is non-existant. Under US law, it is the act of distillation of alcohol itself that is illegal if not done under ATF aegis. It matters not at all if you are redistilling tax-paid neutral spirits, or store bought vodka. It doesn't signify whether or not you add any flavoring, coloring, or nothing at all. It doesn't matter if you are drinking it, burning it in your car's engine, giving it away, or selling it. The alcohol tax laws are still-centered.

I think you will also find that the alcohol laws like the other tax-based laws under the Internal Revenue Code are those peculiar type, which I think ought to be unconstitutional, but aren't -- that require no 'mens rae' burden of proof for conviction. No burden to prove criminal intent. Many people don't even know that such laws exist in the USA but they do.

By Marc on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 12:26 am: Edit

I'm a musician who has released albums on major labels. I was the envy of many struggling musicians. I had a MAJOR RECORD DEAL! Well the deal means shit if you can't get the music to the people. So, Don, I can relate. You can create the art, but then you have to get it out there. The creation is the beauty part, the selling is when I bow out. I just don't have the stomach for it.

By Aion on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 11:49 pm: Edit

"Hausgemacht uber alles" - legal status for
EU countries.

Stills with a content lower than 3 liters can
be purchased legally.

The use of these stills to produce alcohol is
legal (even from fruit mashes).

Alcohol can be purchased legally at every pharmacy.

But consider the following:

Investment of $500 - 600 for a steam heated still

minimum $20 for alcohol + herbs for
one 0,7 l bottle of absinthe

minimum 5 hours working time for
one 0,7 l bottle of absinthe

Cheers,
A.

By Artemis on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 09:27 pm: Edit

I think a case could be made that someone who takes a quantity of alcohol, legally purchased, with all taxes legally paid, and flavors it for his own use, creating not one additional drop of alcohol, in fact, losing some, cannot be said to be "illegally distilling alcohol".

But I'll concede I wouldn't want to be the one to put that opinion to the test in a court of law.

That doesn't lessen my admiration for those who risk the odious penalties Ted mentioned for carrying on an activity that by all rights, makes no more sense to be illegal than growing your own vegetables.

The pursuit of truth is indeed a righteous path. God bless those who walk thereon.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 09:03 pm: Edit

I wish I could say that I will celebrate the first shipped bottle of our absinthe, like a mother after a long and painful delivery. But, it will just, as Ted said, signal an even more intensive period of work for me. So maybe I will celebrate the hundedth bottle or the thousandth. But probably not the first.

Right on, Ted. The truth is about to be out there, no thanks to Chris Carter.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 08:48 pm: Edit

No one will be relieved as much as we will when the first bottles are shipped. But then again, while everyone is drinking, our work is just beginning. We don't want to hype our products needlessly, and we can't even say that everyone will like them. They are absolutely, unequivocally historically authentic, even down to details that most people are unaware of. That is about all that can be said about them until they are delivered.

In my opinion, the newest, brightest chapter in absinthe's history will neither be our products, nor people risking destruction or seizure of their property from illegally distilling alcohol. In my opinion, the newest brightest chapter will be the availability of something that has not available at any time past nor present....and that is truth.

By Artemis on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 08:04 pm: Edit

"Didn't you notice that I was poking fun at the "bow down and worship jade" posts that dot the landscape?"

I thought you were poking fun, but then lots of things go over my head. I've got a bad case of the deadly Earnestines. After Don made a comment and you explained yourself, I figured okay, you weren't serious. But then you made ANOTHER very similar post .... was that one supposed to be serious? If so, I stand by my response. If not, you were repeating a joke that didn't get a whole lot of laughs the first time.

But I read a story once - a monk got tired of hearing the master tell the same joke every day. A more enlightened monk responded: "You should laugh every time he tells it". Probably sound advice. Please accept my apology.

By Verawench on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Two words:

FORUM ORGY.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 06:56 pm: Edit

"How many 'let's bow down and worship Jade' threads are you going to start?"

Artemis, did you really read my opening post in the last thread? Didn't you notice that I was poking fun at the "bow down and worship jade" posts that dot the landscape? Hobgoblin got it. Don seemed to as well, although he wasn't too happy with the idea.

¿Hecho en casa? Sounds fine to me.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Get naked
Hot shower
Clean tumbler
Good music
Three fingers
Cold Water
Sip slowly
and Slide...

By Artemis on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 06:18 pm: Edit

How many "let's bow down and worship Jade" threads are you going to start?

It's absinthe okay? I wouldn't do a damned thing with it other than I do with any other absinthe.

With all due respect to Ted and Don, and they both know me well enough to know they've got that from me, I've got my own idea of the newest and brightest chapter in absinthe's story. It's that more and more people have the guts and drive to make their own.

Hausgemacht uber alles.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 05:59 pm: Edit

After good-naturedly ribbing the forum about its long dance with Jade, I'm cutting in. Ironic? Not really. We all want to be on this fairy's dance card, and for good reason. Absinthe's story is fascinating; Ted and Don are writing its newest, brightest chapter; we've been lucky enough to follow the passages, and soon we'll "drink in" the finished manuscript.

When that first bottle arrives, what will you do? Drink it, of course: but where, when, with whom, in what manner, etc.?

I hope to buy one bottle of E. Pernod and one of Pontarlier. Some of it will go with me to Paris and Père Lachaise; perhaps more will travel in my bags to Buenos Aires and the Café Tortoni; there should be enough left for my honeymoon and the birth of my child. Perhaps I will leave a bottle unopened and hide it in a cellar, bequeathing my descendants a wonderful story (and treasure hunt)!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation