Jade Refined! BE Liquors bought by Michel Roux's Absente

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Jade Refined! BE Liquors bought by Michel Roux's Absente
By Chevalier on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Local lore claims that Sartre and Foucault dropped by.

By Pataphysician on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 11:51 am: Edit

I wonder if Marcel Duchamp hung out there. He lived in Buenos Aires in 1918-1919, mostly working on his chess game.

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 08:41 am: Edit

Addendum to the Buenos Aires Café Tortoni post:

If you wish to see photos of the café, go to

www.cafetortoni.com.ar/

and click on the "ESPAÑOL" option. Once inside, click on the "GALERÍA" option (to the left of the screen).

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 08:11 am: Edit

Speaking of the Café Tortoni ...

In 1858, Tortoni's Paris-based proprietors opened a branch of the café in Buenos Aires, where it still thrives on 825 Avenida de Mayo as "El Gran Café Tortoni".

A beautiful site: www.cafetortoni.com.ar/

"Tortoni has an important literary, political and journalistic history and is frequented by a colorful crowd." That is an understatement. Practically every important Spanish and Latin American writer, poet, and painter has visited it; some, such as Mario Vargas Llosa and Jorge Luis Borges, held court from their own tables.

The building itself is a Beaux-Arts marvel, complete with stained glass skylights, 19th-century bistro tables and chairs, a billiards room, and a small, red-velvet theatre (right out of the film "Moulin Rouge") where the 1920s tanguista Carlos Gardel achieved his fame. All this and an oak-panelled barbershop, now the cafés museum. On display is an especially fine silver "Les Pipes" absinthe spoon, with the initials C.T. (Café Tortoni) elaborately engraved
on the handle.

When visiting Buenos Aires, I go to Tortoni to read, drink and observe; once I spent an entire day there, watching the changing of the crowds and the passing of sunlight through stained glass.

You can imagine where I'll be drinking my Jade this year.

"...Encontrémonos de vuelta, en el Tortoni,
a esa hora incierta de la tarde
cuando los ángeles derraman lo imposible..."

By Admin on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 07:35 am: Edit

I think it would be too large to post directly to the forum, unless you provided external links.

Oxy! Send me a copy and maybe I can squeeze it into the site somewhere ...

By Wolfgang on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 05:05 am: Edit

Can`t you scan it and post it here ?

By Oxygenee on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 12:55 am: Edit

....would be a headline I never want to find. What I WAS happy to find however, was an original copy of the April 1889 issue of Harpers Magazine. This contains a remarkable 17 page illustrated article entitled "Characteristic Parisian Cafes", describing in detail all the most famous cafes of the day: Tortoni, Le Chat Noir, Vachette and many more.

There are many references to absinthe, wonderful descriptions of the decor and atmosphere of the famous cafes, pen portraits of some of the most famous boulevardiers, explanantions of the peculiar slang of the waiters - overall a marvellously evocative (if rather overheated) portrait of Parisian nightlife. It includes the famous engraving by Rennard of 3 rather sozzled looking gents staring morosely over their absinthes, which is illustrated in the Delahaye and Conrad books.

I know several Forum members who like myself have been looking for this issue for some time - what I only recently found out is that its not is the well known Harper's Weekly (of which confusingly their are four April 1889 issues), but in the far less well know Harper's MONTHLY. Once I'd made this discovery, it was a relatively simple matter to track down an original issue.

If anyone on the Forum is seriously interested in this article and would like a photostat copy, let me know by email and I'll be happy to post you one.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation