Coming to Montreal

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Coming to Montreal
By Admin on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 09:00 am: Edit

Wah! You're right, Marc ...

I've been on a Hammer Horror jag for the past year ... Christopher Lee is an ANGEL.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 07:47 am: Edit

Marc:
Thanks, it's one of the best compliment I got. Did you know he's gonna play Saruman in Lord of the Rings ? Not to mention about The man with the golden gun and countless vampire movies. This damn Chris have been in so many great role it's incredible!

Christopher lee fan club

By Tabreaux on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 06:10 am: Edit

"are there reproductions for both, Berger blanc and verte?"

Possibly.

"And what about availability, both, one, none,
limited edition or unlimited?"

We haven't yet decided. Some products may not appear right away. If you are subscribed to the emailing list, you will be notified of new offerings.

By Marc on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 01:25 am: Edit

wolfgang,

you look like a young blonde Christopher Lee.
Do you have Transylvanian ancestors?

By Aion on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 01:18 am: Edit

Ted,
are there reproductions for both, Berger blanc and verte?
What Artemis described was a clear product, but that one on Wolfgangs pictures seems to be a verte.
And what about availability, both, one, none,
limited edition or unlimited?

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 06:03 pm: Edit

More pictures... most of these last pictures have been taken later that night, some after Ted left.

pictures

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 12:32 pm: Edit

Ha! Why not (I don`t always have a thread just for myself after all ;-) )!

After the spanish and two large glass of Jade`s marvel Ted asked me if I could feal it. I said something like " I drink absinthe too often so I can`t feal it that much anymore..." Then I began talking to somebody else and went looking for a small three fold fanzine that was on the table (a fanzine in which I had written an absinthe article). It`s weird but when I unfolded this damn fanzine I suddenly fully felt the effect (probably because I was trying to focus on something else). It was NOT visual hallucination but just a strange fealing of unfolding something that had an infinity of folds (it had only 3 ;-) ). It diseapeared as soon as I began talking and I was left (like everybody in the room) with the standard wake-up effect. At that point I probably shared this in french and I don`t remember if I translated this to Ted...

I cant`t wait to drink it alone (or with one or two close friends), listening to very etheral and ambiant music to concentrate less on the new taste and more on the green faery herself...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Heiko :

Well, I had about 2-3 Oz of Spanish absinthe before the tasting ( Some people there had not tasted Deva and Segarra and I wanted everybody there to fully understand the difference between what`s available now and what Ted was about to serve so we did a little pre-tasting ). Then I had maybe 4-5 oz of Edouard and maybe 1.5 Oz of Berger... That makes about 9 oz of absinthe from 9 pm to 1 am. After the last sip, we talked up to 5 in the morning; I had to wait before using my car...

So, here`s the trick : You must take notes when you taste your firsts glass. Then when you wake up you search for those damn notes. If a note makes you laugh (poor writing of too much spilled absinthe on the paper...) you discard it. If it makes sens, you keep it.

Now shall I write something about the effects ? Hummm...

By Petermarc on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 12:43 am: Edit

PLUS ULTRA

By Artemis on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 05:24 pm: Edit

I am very fortunate to have on hand a generous portion of Ted's "Berger", but I'm waiting for "Chris Columbus" to come to America from Paris so we can explore it together. Reviews may follow thereafter.

Wolfgang, I enjoyed your reviews very much and I think you are very perceptive, a worthy taster indeed.

By Heiko on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Only the smell was like Segarra - the taste wasn't, not at all!

Your review was really good, IMO. I think I can rely on your taste - it seems to be rather similar to mine (i.e. Segarra mixed with other brands :-) )

In Boveresse, I didn't know at all what to say about all the brands anymore. We had, in about an hour, a taste (one glass for 6 people) of Berger, La Fée, two La Bleue, two or three of Andy's and the Lavesinthe. Before I had had two big cups of Neuchatel Blanche and about three glasses of Oxygénée - not really a good situtation for detailed reviews. Therefore I can't be sure about La Fée or Berger....

"Ok, now I'm sure all you want to know is not about my eating habits and pictures of my freaky friends but about the exquisite liquors we tasted that night."

I find pictures very interesting as well - people always look different from what you'd expect...
The guy with the beard at the right margin of the picture comes a lot closer to what I've thought you would look like :-)
Don't ask me why - probably just a notion that came with the name "Wolfgang".

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 11:35 am: Edit

It's not like segarra and it's not exactly "brown sugar"... I would need to taste it again without sugar to make a better identification of this taste/smell. (I tasted generous doses of Edouard with and without sugar but I only had one glass of Berger with 1/2 sugar cube).

Sorry for my lack of precision. I hope some of you will have the occasion to taste it soon so we could compare our tasting notes.

I was the only forumit in the group and the only one taking notes (and having experience in wine tasting and reviewing) so unfortunatly that doesn't make for a complete and fully reliable review.

By Heiko on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 09:45 am: Edit

From what I read the Berger seems to be very close to the original (well, what have I expected?). Peter, I remember you said that it has a very perfumed taste. I also remember that it had a very strong taste and rather much anise for a vintage - but still so many other fresh flavors around it, only the anise was sticking out a bit. The brown sugar smell might be what reminded me of Segarra at first (I mean butterscotch - caramel - brown sugar, that's all not too far from each other...).

By Petermarc on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 09:00 am: Edit

that powder nuance is in my original berger, can't wait to compare the two...

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 08:39 am: Edit

Ok, now I'm sure all you want to know is not about my eating habits and pictures of my freaky friends but about the exquisite liquors we tasted that night.

Of course, this is only a question of personal taste so please don't believe me and taste it yourself as soon as it's available.

Edouard :
---------
This magic potion is incredibly smooth for a 72% alc. liquor. Even straight on ice it's good (and with every variation of water ratio, with or without sugar : it's always good). It's sharp, silky on the tongue and extremely charming in it's herbal and flowery complexity. There's also a little fruityness in the background. One sip and it's so good you can do nothing but smile. It's like a faery elixir of joy, every glass is one thousand flowers for the soul. Everything is in perfect balance. Truely a masterpiece. I would like to sip slowly glass after glass of this marvel, in the garden on a hot and sunny afternoon. I would rate it as "to die for".

Berger :
---------
This one taste stronger but is not subtle as Edouard. The alcool content is weaker (68 % if I remember ? ) but it taste stronger. There's a bit of orange peel and brown sugar smell (even if it's unsweetened). It's very concentrated and you can add lot's of water to it without drowning it. The anis is more present (but we can still talk of it as a well balanced product). There was also something in the taste that reminds me of a perfume or powder (talc ?) I probably smelled a long time ago but unfortunatly I'm unable to recall what it was exactly. I will have to buy a bottle to identify this one... (poor little me ;-) ).This is a drink to sip slowly when you have plenty of time to waste happily. I would rate it as "very nice".

Now my Deva taste so awful ... I now understand the misery of those who know what they are waiting for and can do nothing but wait.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 07:17 am: Edit

More pictures there.

(plus some more when I will get the time to play with the scanner...)

Vera : maybe that's why he left before the bottles where empty, just in case ;-) Anyway, eating his worwood flavored brain would have been like cutting the tree to get the apples, bad idea.

By Verawench on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 12:27 am: Edit

Perruche: "What big sharp teeth you have, Wolfgang."

Wolfgang: "...The better to bite Ted's studly head off and feast on the green wormwood-flavored goo inside.. mmmmlleehhhhmmm-nam-nam"

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 07:41 pm: Edit

What big sharp teeth you have, Wolfgang.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Check out Ted! What a stud!!!

By Wolfgang on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 09:13 am: Edit

Yes it was Jade`s Edouard and Jade`s Berger.

I`m very busy this weekend so I will post the full tasting notes and pictures later this week.

For now, I leave you with this one (and the other one will be posted on my web site this week).

Wolf and Ted (drinking Berger if I remember)

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 01:27 am: Edit

That's one of Ted's absinthes you were drinking and not antique E.Pernod, right? Just for the sake of clarity. Obviously, we can't call it any kind of Pernod without incurring the wrath of a large European beverage conglomerate and their lawyers.

By Wolfgang on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 12:16 am: Edit

En directe de Montreal!

Here we are in montreal and we have drunk from the holy grail !

E. Pernod is just soooo incredible that I'm lacking words to tell it. I just can't list the physical description because it's more than " olive green, herbal, whatever" ; it's a masterpiece, it's the ultimate feary nectar.

We also tasted a repro of Berger absinthe. This one is very nice, ticker but less frech and "magic" (in my humble opinion) to the E. Pernod.

After Ted was gone, I hide the reminding of the E. Pernod bottle and then served it to the last 5 people there and we tasted every last drop religiously.

I will post a more complete tasting report later when I will be more... sober ;-) .

Thank's Ted, next time you'r in Montreal, we will make sure to bring you to a nice restorant and try to make some arrengment with the owner.

Hic!

Thank's Ted!

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 08:19 am: Edit

Simmer down there junior...

By Wolfgang on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 08:11 am: Edit

Ted : maybe you should post updates about the date, just in case...

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Ted, I think it's high time that you visit Chile again. And not just Concepción!

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 01:47 pm: Edit

My sister is currently somewhere in Montreal, at least that's what she tells us, she moves about a bit.

Hobgoblin

By Wolfgang on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 01:40 pm: Edit

...well, of course I'm assuming there's no other active forumits from Montreal around here...If there is, please contact me so we can set something up for sunday... Otherwise it will be just me and ?? numbers of absintheurs I know who are not forumits.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Whouhou!!!

I'm leaving Montreal for vacation on monday morning so I hope we can do it on Sunday...

Just tell me how, where and how many people can I bring with me. I will limit the list to only those who have already tasted some absinthe in the past but send me more details by email (a few persons is 2, 5 or more ???).

Wolf-Who is dancing round, making grimace at his bottle of Serpis. NA!

By Tabreaux on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 01:07 pm: Edit

I will be going to Montreal this Sunday (Aug. 12th), and leaving on Thursday. If a few people want to get together for a drink, let me know. We'll need to keep it to only a few persons.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation