"Green Glass", Supplying Personnel Fountains (Drippers)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: "Green Glass", Supplying Personnel Fountains (Drippers)
By Petermarc on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 10:23 am: Edit

i am almost sure that that the dripper that justin has is spanish and of a more modern date...the french ones i have are flat on the bottom and are of thicker glass...

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 06:41 pm: Edit

A dripper is the paregoric nipple of second childhood.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Reminds me of something a guy I knew used to say. He didn't like it when people were "nursing" their drinks and he'd say...

"WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO PUT A NIPPLE ON IT???"

By Tavarua on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 07:22 am: Edit

I guess I left that wide open, ah, I mean, I knew someone would tear into that, I mean, ah fuck it, never mind.

By Pataphysician on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 07:01 am: Edit

Mmmm, sssexy.

By Tavarua on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 05:56 am: Edit

Wormwood,

I am not sure how traditional drippers work, but these deliver a very thin, steady stream. The hole is about the size of a pencil point, about the width of a thick paperclip. Putting sugar in the base slows the stream down, but waiting for a slow drip to fill a glass can be very aggravating.

By Wormwood on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 05:37 am: Edit

I am curious.

What is the size of the dropper hole, and about how many drops/minutes does it deliver.

I'm not going into the dropper business, I just never used one.

By Tavarua on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 05:33 am: Edit

Here is the first few. The pictures are not that great, but it was the best I could do.

Glass1.jpg

glass2.jpg

glass3.jpg

Glass4.jpg

By Tavarua on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 09:59 am: Edit

Head:

I wasn’t being abrasive, just inquiring.

And to answer your question, we have played with the idea and this is not likely, at least not at this point. He does torch work, not kiln. Also, construction of the base, while doable is not really his area of expertise. If this takes off, I may employee another college buddy of mine, who is currently in Australia. He does kiln work and would not have too much trouble making the water reservoir and I am sure we could figure out a base construction, he used to do a lot of plumbing work in high school. Anyway, I am getting way ahead of myself. I do not even know how my present efforts are going to turn out, and A, my buddy, is MIA in the Outback, so it could be a while before I speak with him again. But who knows, anything is possible.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 09:47 am: Edit

I have taken the pictures of the drippers. I will post them once I get home tonight.

By Timk on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 04:09 am: Edit

Justin, is there anything Absinthe related you dont have or cant get hold of ; - )

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Down Tav, I'm pretty sure Chevalier was talking to Chrysippvs. Not Chrys to you. Hadn't had your coffee yet?

"I am not trying to sound like a dick"

Me either. I just am.

Is your friend going to be fashioning any water fountains?

By Melinelly on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 11:22 pm: Edit

"Jeez, isn't it funny a wetback correcting a Pacific Islander?"

aw crap, was i talking to myself again? (says this mexican-chinese with traceable aztec, portuguese, and native hawaiian hehe)

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Jeez, isn't it funny a wetback correcting a Pacific Islander?

"Yore" means "of old time", it's not a person. OK, guys, I leave myself open for your interpretation...

I'm a total sucker for ANY lab glass. Lab glass is like guns or aircraft. There's no space for shoddiness. Quality is built in...

By Tavarua on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Chrysippvs:

Are you qouting me? To give any direct answers to price as of yet, would be impossible. Like I said, I would like to get the opinion of other members. I am not a whore, the price will be fair. Not cheap, fair. These are going to be hand blown glass pieces, not production generic. I may put a few pieces on E-Bay and let the random folks battle, but forum members will get a fair price, as well as anyone else who knows where to look.

As I have said previously, this is not my work, it is anothers. Another who makes a steady income cranking out glass for other applications. He is taking time away to do this, simply because I asked him to. If it is worth his while, I am sure he will squeeze it into his regular regamine. The point I am making is that they, glass-blowers, consider what they do is art, even if it is scientific, special project, custom or "other", and it is their income.

I am not trying to sound like a dick, but it is really hard to come up with a price. At this point, there is no real market, hence no benchmark, no comparison, and no real hand-blown pieces of Absinthia. What I can tell you is that forty is what I have discussed with others, for the most basic piece. Basic is a lousy word to use, but rest assured, it won't be "basic" by definition.

Dr. O:

I am not sure what Yore pieces look like, but chances are, there won't be any similarity.

Once again, I have to make the statement that at this point, these won't look like Chrysippvs's, they will not have perfect symmetry. They do not look "molded", they look like they were hand made. I am not saying whose is a better version, personally, I really like Chrysippvs's and Petermac's pieces. These are just a different spin on an old product.

Anyway, I am pretty confident that I will have pictures posted tomorrow, when I get the chance. If not, then Thursday. It kills me to be talking about it, when I have them right here and cannot put them up on the forum, because I don't have the right camera.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 03:37 pm: Edit

And what, pray tell, does "for cheap" mean?

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:36 pm: Edit

brouille

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:36 pm: Edit

The breadth of this glass of the brouille is is around 3.5" at the widest point, while the breath of the glass used here is around 3.33" at the widest point. However the brouille has a glass fitting depression, which the diameter is ~3.1"

Here is a pic of it from below..

By Tavarua on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:26 pm: Edit

Chrysippvs:

I do not have any vintage glasses, unfortunately. Any physical specs on the proper diameter would be great. The ones that I currently have are more like the Spanish style, dropping spout, not the apparently french antique one that you are displaying. This was done for a reason, in order to conform to multiple glass sizes.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Just a reservoir or a pontarlier glass...nice sized dose. Looks somewhat like the glass Lautrec used in Moulin Rouge...I picked it up for cheap for few weeks ago...

By Chevalier on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:20 pm: Edit

I meant the dripper, not the glass (nor the thread).

By Chevalier on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:15 pm: Edit

This reminds me of the old "Anticipation" commercial for Hunt's ketchup ...

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:15 pm: Edit

Justin, I have never seen that glass style before. Could you tell us the name?

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Sounds great...do you have any vintage glasses to test the diameter of the glass for a good fit. All of the drippers (Brouilles) I have fit most glasses well, but some especially well. Can't wait to see your work...

for those that haven't seen these before allow me to show you a pic...

brouille

By Zman7 on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 11:55 am: Edit

I know that myself and at least one other Seattle area person would probably be customers.

By Tavarua on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 11:03 am: Edit

Dr O,

Pictures will be up Wednesday or Thursday. I just have to secure the digital camera details, but the three samples are done. Keep checking the forum.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 10:55 am: Edit

Please post pics, Tavarua. If they look like the ones of yore, I'll be your first customer!

Dr. O

By Tavarua on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 10:35 am: Edit

Hello all,

Tomorrow or the next day I will be posting several drippers that I have had made. This is a test run and interest level will decide whether or not this is made a full time venture. I have heard talk here from time to time about subject and the unavailability of these items, and the ones that are available are usually antiques. It is because of this that I, with the assistance of a friend, will be producing these drippers. Actually, he will produce and I will market, sound familiar. As I have said, all of this depends on the response of forum members, as this is probably the most accurate gauge.

Right now, I have three models. They, as with all other future models, will be of hand-blown glass construction. This has up and downs, they may not be as symmetrical and flawless as production drippers, but I assure you that they will be stronger, more colorful and quite unique. Any feedback right now would be great, or you can wait until the pictures are posted.

At this point I would like to thank Petermac for supplying to me pictures of his collection and different varieties. Also, a thank you to Bob Chang for showing interest and doing some research on the forum for the development of “Green Glass.”

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation