Pernod Fils 1913

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Pernod Fils 1913
By Simonsuisse on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 02:33 pm: Edit

I have nearly finished one of my bottles of Larsand and i must say that to date. This is the nicest(in my oppinion!)comercial absinthe i have tried yet. When opening the bottle, it has a slight similarity in smell to Deva, yet not so sweet. When poured in the glass it has an olive green colour. Once water is added, it louches very nicely and goes from olive to near white(more pronounced than MM70%). Once louched the taste is one of very aromatic licourice(not star anise)with strong mint, fennel and wormwood present. No citrus notes whatsoever. As everyone knows, i don't like La Fee. But this is similar, yet better to the point where it becomes my favourite.
ps- As soon as i get the pictures done i will post some unopened bottles of pernod on here. The one i put a review on here for i think like Don said, was slightly gone off. it was red/brown and a bit bitter. But i still enjoyed it. Anyway we'll see what you think.

By Perruche_Verte on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 01:05 pm: Edit

I think the other one is the outfit that sells
Huguet -- which can also be purchased as an "extract" that you add to grain alcohol -- no more need be said about its means of manufacture.

http://www.distillerie-andorre.com

By Don_Walsh on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 05:07 am: Edit

Well, there doesn't seem to be ANY Internet site selling Larsand, as far as I can find. I did however find two telephone numbers for distilleries in Andorra, and one of them is named Larsand (that's a clue?)

DESTILERÍAS

Destilleries Andorranes.
Av. Cop. Francès, 58.

Tel: +376 831 134.

LARSAND Destil·leries.
Ctra. dels Cortals.

Tel: +376 833 745.

By Zack on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 02:14 am: Edit

"But then I think that La Fee is a damned sight better than Deva, and less "Faux" to boot. With more agreement here than you will garner for your position, Simon."

I don't think Deva and La Fee should be rated far from one another, they are too similar. Sure, La Fee has more flavors, but it also tastes more overcooked.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 08:22 pm: Edit

And who, may I ask, is selling larsand on the Net? It wouldn't happen to be New Millenium by any chance now, would it?

By Absinthesque on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Hello Forumites, good to be back, however briefly, as I'm very busy these days. I too recently got my hands on some Larsand, and I must say it's very good. The taste is bascially in the Spanish style, but with more bitterness in the finish, and more of what I take to be wormwood aroma and aftertaste. The secondary effects seemed much stronger than in any other absinthe I've tried. .. This was, frankly, a surprise, given what I'd read about it.

As a final note, there's no mention of artificial color on the label, and I'm wondering if it's naturally colored. . .

By Zman7 on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I too have just recieved a couple of bottles of Larsand from a friend in Europe (Don't worry Bryan, I'll save yours). I agree that it is a fine tasting absinthe compared to much of what is out there today, commercially anyway. The colour is akin to uncut peridot gemstones It louches beatifully, smells great, and has a clean refreshing taste and finish.

By Artemis on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Ordinaire, I would be surprised if you and I did not agree on far more than that upon which we disagree.

On this particular matter, if you didn't agree, I would say you deserve for your muse to desert you and kick you in the ass on the way out the door.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Yes, Ted, is was spoilage that I had in mind. Well preserved Pernod Fils is not 'very bitter". I was just arching my eyebrows.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 06:14 pm: Edit

""Nothing beats vintage!!"

Bullshit. If a more polite term existed, I would use it. If that statement were true, we could say that 21st century science doesn't beat 19th century science. It AIN'T rocket science, folks. It's a fucking herbal liqueur."

Artemis, would you be very upset if I totally agree with you on this one...?

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Dear very hitched Morrigan,

Would anyone ever reveal to this forum his/her shadowy source of vintage Pernod?
HA!

And last but not least, congratulations!
Marc C.

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Simonsuisse: "...before 1915 Pernod fils used to archive 1 bottle every six months. Also the archived bottles used to get 'GARANTI FABRIQUE EN 1913' or whatever year they did it."

Tabreaux: "Where was this mentioned?"

Good question, and I sincerely hope that Simonsuisse will answer it. There are still too many pieces missing from the absinthe puzzle.

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Gawd, I'm absolutely verte with envy. Just how does a 22-year-old English chap get his hands on so many bottles of unopened vintage Pernod Fils??!?

I second Artemis' motion.

- M

By Artemis on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 05:16 pm: Edit

If somebody today was making absinthe that would kick the shit out of "vintage Pernod", would you throw it out of bed because it lacked a hundred years of dust accumulation?

Would you pay $100s more dollars for the "vintage" because of a bottle, a label, green wax, a legend, etc. etc.

Maybe.

A question of personal priority, I guess. But then I think that La Fee is a damned sight better than Deva, and less "Faux" to boot. With more agreement here than you will garner for your position, Simon.

"Nothing beats vintage!!"

Bullshit. If a more polite term existed, I would use it. If that statement were true, we could say that 21st century science doesn't beat 19th century science. It AIN'T rocket science, folks. It's a fucking herbal liqueur.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 05:14 pm: Edit

"Very bitter"?

Don,
The bitterness he is referring to is not what you're thinking. I've had one that was truly 'very bitter', but it was going bad.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 05:11 pm: Edit

The 60% bottle was a lower grade product, so it wouldn't be as desirable as any 68% bottle.

The absence of a tax seal and was seal would seem to indicate that the bottle was not going to be sold, or, it was intended to be transported a long distance.

I've suspected that the anchor seal may suggest export, which brings me to my next question:

"...before 1915 Pernod fils used to archive 1 bottle every six months. Also the archived bottles used to get 'GARANTI FABRIQUE EN 1913' or whatever year they did it."

Where was this mentioned?

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 05:10 pm: Edit

"Very bitter"?

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Thanks, Simonsuisse! We look forward to the photos.

By Simonsuisse on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 04:46 pm: Edit

As soon as i get some photos done i promise i will do so. i must say, Like i've always said. i don't really rate Deva. But i do think la Fee is absolute shit!!! Maybe that's because i can get it real cheap and at the click of my fingers. But even so, i don't. Due to knowing that it comes pretty close to Faux absinthe if you like.
i finally recieved a few bottles of larsand, and i must say this is a very nice distilled absinthe in my opinion. To me, Larsand and NS rate as the top commercial brands i've tried. But hey!! Nothing beats vintage!!
Also found out that vintage Pernod Fils, which was due for archiving did not get taxed. Hence no tax seal. Instead it was given a thick green wax or lacquer coating over the leaded seal to guarantee a time proof seal. My bottle has this.
Also the hat on top of the swiss cross is red instead of black. This bottle is even more rare than the 60% bottle in Conrad's book.

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 04:41 pm: Edit

It wasn't louche that Simonsuisse saw; it was ectoplasm.

By Artemis on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Nosferatu, I say.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Hello Faust, I wanna know where this damn Vintage Pernod Fils fountain is?

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Simonsuisse, make our day: please post a photo of your "GARANTI FABRIQUE EN 1913" bottle.

By Artemis on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 04:25 pm: Edit

I suggest you mail the bottle to Marc in Las Vegas immediately.

You will receive a proper appraisal around the Winter Solstice, assuming Marc has the self control to hold it until the first week of December. And if he doesn't, I wouldn't blame him one damned bit.

In view of the fact you rate Deva as better than La Fee, I question your ability to rate what's in that bottle in any case.

By Simonsuisse on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Managed to get hold of another bottle of pernod fils yesterday. Since i have several now i thought i'd open one. but first, the bottle i aquired ywsterday turned out to be more rare than anticipated. It retains the 'anchor 68' diamond label aswell as the main label. All perfectly intact. But what makes this bottle special is that: before 1915 Pernod fils used to archive 1 bottle every six months. Also the archived bottles used to get 'GARANTI FABRIQUE EN 1913' or whatever year they did it. However this bottle is 1913. So that's what it says on my bottle. Therefore there where only ever two in existence. But i'm not going to open this one. I thought i'd open one of the others and describe what i feel it gives across: The louche was very powerful. It went from an olive and orange deep colour to a snow white with a soft brown center.
The taste was very bitter, yet pleasant. I can't describe it properly, but it tasted like almonds,cinnamon and anis with a real bitter taste following, yet somehow sweet at the same time. But no sugar present.
i can't really compare this to any contemporary absinthe, except Segarra which has totally different taste, yet similar appearance qualities.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation