Trying a few

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Trying a few
By Zman7 on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 05:36 am: Edit

I second Wolfgang's recommendation. Segarra and NS70 would make a good choice for your next order.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 10:09 pm: Edit

look at the Formatting link at the left of your screen...

(and don't talk/post picture about what's on the packing slip!)

Before ordering again, make sure you have read The man from chert thread... (but Deva and NS are also good choices)

By Piezoid on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Just got my 2 Mari Mayans Collector 70's from SC in just 7 days from the date Cristine told me she shipped.

The P.O. tried to deliver while I was at work so I had to go there and pick up the package myself. The postal clerk says (in Chinesey broken English) "sowna rika riquid... wasa in it?". "Olive Oil", I replies scooping up the package and vamoosing my dago ass right on outta there.

Now that I have a stash, I'm feeling more adventurous and want to shoot off another order for an absinthe I haven't tried yet. From SC, I was considering a Deva and an N.S. duo. Any thoughts from the august gallery would be gratefully received?

BTW, how do I post a picture in this formum?

Best regrards from,
Piezo

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Last week I got a new shipment of Deva and Segarra. I first tasted the Segarra : nice as usual. I then mixed deva and segarra 50-50 in a bottle and tasted it : humm...different !?

Now I'm drinking a glass of Deva50 alone and I could almost swear there's less sugar than usual in that Deva bottle. Unfortunatly I don't have anymore left from my previous shipment to compare.

If you still have some left from a previous shipment and plan to order some more, please keep some old one to compare and tell me if I'm wrong.

All I could say is that last bottle I got taste better and is more refreshing !

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Unlike Imelda I only have one pair of shoes. However, I wear many hats.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 07:56 am: Edit

Damn it, Head, you put Imelda Marcos to shame...

By Wolfgang on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 07:46 am: Edit

Do a keyword search about "absinthe dream"...

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 01:42 pm: Edit

WORLD DOMINATION!

By Artemis on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 12:52 pm: Edit

I noticed the dream effects for the first time myself this very week, after two nights of heavy absinthe consumption (home made stuff, very powerful). I'm drinking it now, which is probably the only reason I'm running off at the mouth here today (thank you Head, for invoking me - it's your fault).

Also this week, an intense out of body feeling on the days after drinking (which I *have* noticed before, after the gathering in New Orleans, when it persisted for almost a week).

By Piezoid on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Thanks for the responses. I am a new poster here but I think I've read at least all the recent posts.

I must have missed any mention of the dream inducing effect. However, there must be something to it if many have independently noticed this effect.

Jim

By Don_Walsh on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 05:46 pm: Edit

You must be new here. Many of us have posted many times about vivid dreaming after drinking absinthe. It is about the only 'secondary effect' I have ever personally noted.

By _Blackjack on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 02:41 pm: Edit

A lot of people have reported an oneirotropic effect from absinthe, including myself. I am entirely unsure as to the cause, and am not about to go assuming any particular herb is to blame. I will note that NICOTINE also causes very intense dreams, but one would never know, since it's hard to smoke while sleeping, unless one had tried the nicotine patch...

By Piezoid on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 10:11 am: Edit

Just ordered 2 more Mari Mayans 70 from SC after nearly finishing off the one I got from London. I did'nt order a different brand because I like the taste and effects of MM so much.

Contrary to other opinions I've read here about the effects of absinthe on one's psyche, I invariably have excellent dreams after retiring on a glass or two of this marvelous stuff, which I never before noticed as a result of drinking anisette or Ouzo ,or any other alcoholic concoction for that matter.

I've experienced this several times now and am convinced that it's not just my "imagination".
Anyone else been having vivid, colorful and definitely erotic dreams?

It's my guess that if ice were readily available back in la Belle Epoche, absinthe over cracked ice and ice water to taste would have been the preferred way of preparing absinthe.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 02:51 am: Edit

MM70 has three distinct tastes: star anise, star anise, and star anise. Do you mean to say that Deva 70 is also a one trick pony?

By Dblplus on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 02:33 am: Edit

I've taken to trying a few brands of Spanish or Ibizan absinthe, so far I find my favorites being

Deva 70 and Mary Mayans 70. Both are similar in taste and color. I started with Deva 50 and enjoy it when I just want one glass ;-)

I've recently received a bottle of Serpis and NS.
Tried the Serpis last night and was rather surprised at how different it tasted compared to the smell. It's anis overtone reminded me of Deva 50, but the taste right off was sweet with a definite fruit taste. I'm not sure how oftem I will drink this. Does anyone know what is in it?

NS I was a little sheepish on, the color is so dark, it reminds me of some hideous cough syrup I had to take as a child. The louche was murky and dark, but the taste really surprised me. I was expecting bitter, but the NS was very smooth.

Lastly, I tried a few absinthe recipes. The traditional drip with sugar method and a twist of lime; very refreshing, sort of gave the absinthe and water a slight margarita flavor. A "French Fizz" from the Pernod USA website is absinte and champage (w/ice). Pooh...tasted like rancid pickle juice. What were they thinking? Must be for new Pernod, which I have never tried, but it must have lots of sugar in it.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation