Magical Uses of Absinthe Herbs

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Magical Uses of Absinthe Herbs
By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Biblical 'wormwood' is not A. absinthium. It is (probably) A.judaica. Absinthium was not present in the middle east (I dunno if it is now, but if it is, it was imported.)

Not, of course, that I give a rat's ass.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 12:01 pm: Edit

"Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away this day from the Lord our God, to go serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood" : Deuteronomy 29:18

A biblical reference to wormwood. I'm not entirely sure it's got anything to do with this thread but I thought I'd post it anyway.

By Midas on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 04:30 am: Edit

In the vodou tradition, Erzulie Freda is quite keen on a dram of Anisette, and I've found she's rather partial to La Fee. Legba likes the stuff as well.

By Royale on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 03:29 am: Edit

I am not so sure Anise's "protection from disturbing dreams". The other night my gal and I went to bed well buzzed on the green stuff, the next morning she said she had wild dreams of cockroaches and demonic bugs (Then again that could have been the can of Raid we had inhaled) But, I will definitely vouch for its affects as an aphrodisiac. Enough said.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 03:23 am: Edit

And of course, vodka and wormwood will get you nowhere as the abv isn't high enough to extract anything but what you DON'T want, namely absinthin.

(It will of course reinforce the treasured goth belief that absinthe is horribly bitter. So, if preservation and promotion of shared subcultural mythology is your goal...)

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 03:18 am: Edit

Newerage.

Rhymes with sewerage.

Avoid any website that uses spelling 'magick' esp if they are selling anything. Wicca shops online and off make health food shops look cheap.

By Verawench on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 10:41 pm: Edit

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/6670/liqrec.html

Wonder what he uses to make Irish Cream.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Couple that with this recipe page and you got yourself a party PARTY!!!

By Verawench on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 10:19 pm: Edit

From Paul Beyerl's "The Master Book of Herbalism"

This is just trivia of sorts, I don't necessarily believe any of it; nor can I answer for the accuracy of my source... But it is interesting. I'm also trying, when possible, to list the herb's magical uses while consumed or drank.

Anyway, here it is:

Wormwood: repelling of negative energy; visions and prophecy

Coriander: rituals of peace; associated with immortality; love magick

Anise: aphrodisiac, fulfillment in love; protection against disturbing dreams (hmmm….)

Lemon Balm/Melissa: pursuit of romance

Fennel: ensuring fertility, virility, long life; protection

Angelica: drawing in positive energy; summoning visions and energies; protection

Star Anise: driving away negative spirits

Hyssop: protection; healing; consecration of magical tools

I was just thinking - and perhaps an expert can answer this - that the medicinal uses of some of these herbs sometimes crossed paths in folk remedies with their more supernatural uses.

And don't y'all give no shit for for not listing only the herbs in the original recipes, I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Wench

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation