Very odd-looking 68° Pernod Tarragona bottle

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Very odd-looking 68° Pernod Tarragona bottle
By Tabreaux on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 02:52 pm: Edit

I mentioned in another thread that I have seen a Pernod Tarragona bottle with a 1930s date that had later graphics. This leads me to believe the bottle in question is an older one.

By Oxygenee on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 10:59 pm: Edit

The bottle could date as late as the 1940's or even early 1950's - the Pernod label was used essentially unchanged for decades after the move to Tarragona. Pernod Tarragona exists in one liter, 500ml and in this hip-flask format (and also of course in mignonnettes). The bottle would originally have had a flask-style metal cap. This type of hip flask style bottle seems to have been popular in Spain, although this particular bottle is squatter than the one Pernod normally used. The other examples I've seen all have smaller "in proportion" labels - at a guess I'd say they must in this case have pressed the labels for the liter bottles into service as a temporary measure while the "correct" labels were out of stock.

By Chevalier on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 05:59 pm: Edit

The words "Pernod S.A. Tarragona" on the glass itself help to date it. What puzzles me, Artemis, is the label, which seems more appropriate for pre-1915 Pontarlier Pernod. I'm no expert; what do the experts think about it?

By Artemis on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Appears to be a hip flask, made to fit in the back pocket. I've seen hundreds of them, and have a few 80 to 100 year old examples, but not for absinthe (although it's possible - I don't know because they don't have labels). For the most part I dug them out of the ground.

By Chevalier on Monday, August 20, 2001 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Have you ever seen one like this before? The label seems too large for the bottle!
Pernod

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation