How much absinthe can one drink in four days?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: How much absinthe can one drink in four days?
By Petermarc on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 11:52 am: Edit

just got finished reading the same article (thanks oxygénée!) what a great article...i have to agree...this is more like a parisian café than parisian cafés are now...

By Artemis on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 08:41 am: Edit

Well said Wolfie.

I was completely serious when I said the definition of a cafe in that old Harper's magazine would also apply to this forum. It was scary in its accuracy.

By Heiko on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,

don't you know Kallisti is a sociologist... ;-)

By Wolfgang on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 12:21 pm: Edit

This forum is a tribe and this is the attractive power of tribal social recognition. Now, once in a while you need to dance around the green fairy totem with us signing about our green fairy godess. Can`t you ear the drums in the background ?

Some sociologists could do a doctorate about this phenomenon...

By Artemis on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 11:45 am: Edit

I keep swearing I will never again appear in this forum, then like a sorry-ass junky back I come.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 10:35 am: Edit

Yes you will. We all do similar stuff to that which we swear never to repeat but as years pass our memories become selective and sooner or later you'll be saying and believing "that was a really fun time I had let's do it again".

Every few years I down a bottle of whiskey in an evening because my memory lies to me that I really enjoyed it the last time, and then I find out too late that actually I didn't.

Hobgoblin

By Heiko on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 10:29 am: Edit

Every day I said "well, I think I'm not going to drink that much tonight". I even said "bah, I can't even think of drinking tonight!" Then I had a good glass of Segarra, one NS afterwards and soon I was about to mix a litre of the 'cheap' stuff into a plastic bottle for the concert area...

Never say never...

By Verawench on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 08:13 am: Edit

"So said the woman who downed 750cl of Deva in an evening"

Yes, but she shall never do so again... all the while remaining curiously grateful to Mr. Head.

I love a good mystery!

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 07:11 am: Edit

Note: Head_prosthesis takes no responsibility for the folly of the young Wench.

By Pataphysician on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 07:10 am: Edit

>I have all the crazyness of a big artist, but no artistic creativity

Someone once told me about a guy he knew: You've heard of an "unpublished writer"? This guy's friend was an "unwritten writer". Dressed like a writer, spoke like a writer, hung out where writers hang out, had all the pretentions of a writer but had never written anything.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 07:05 am: Edit

Heiko,

Forget absinthe, nothing provokes a fistfight better than whiskey.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 07:02 am: Edit

"I can't think of anyone else here who pours that much green down his throat."

So said the woman who downed 750cl of Deva in an evening (and then blamed the Head for her hangover). I notice you didn't say "his or her throat".

Hobgoblin

By Heiko on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 06:43 am: Edit

oh yeah, I have all the crazyness of a big artist, but no artistic creativity :-(

This reminds me of: "I am a mixture between Einstein and Schwarzenegger.
Unfortunately I have Einstein's body and Arnie's brains..."

By Aion on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Heiko,
no poet?
so maybe a painter!
take a look in the mirror, both ears on the
right place?
Maybe you are the forum´s Van Gogh!

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Wenchie, my post was soooo...let's say my tongue was poking a hole through my face...

I would never, ever, mess with His Headness natural born spirituality.

I mean, lest he becomes one of us....

[shudders]

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 05:14 pm: Edit

I can channel like a ringin' a bell. If'n I make out ta' Cal-I-fornie one day... I'd like to try that colon cleansing thing where you swallow a long thin linen slowly (maybe a little drink to help it go down the gullet) and then when you get both ends exposed you grab 'em and work it like you're cleaning you favorite firearm...

...all is one...

By Verawench on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Why is everyone trying to spiritually renew Mr. Head? Y'all are converting and adjusting a post-modern messiah...

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 01:13 pm: Edit

"Ya know? I totally forgot! I'd been drinking whiskey sours with everclear yellow jello chasers and eating hotdogs and horseradish hash."

Relax, Head, and come to California.

We will feed you Rejuvelac (made with fermented wheat berries), organic and macrobiotic foods, you will do yoga and play T'ai Chi 8 hours a day, your free time will be consumed with Tantra lessons...

In no time, the prosthesis will feel like it belongs there...and will start sprouting New Age stuff...and, IF YOU'RE REALLY LUCKY, channeling...

By Petermarc on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 09:58 am: Edit

the more i know absinthe, the less i am hung up about the louche...my feeling is:
badiane/star anis=bad...anis vert/green anis=good
pontarlier-anis went so far as to guarantee that their anisette not contain star anis at all on their old labels...it was also used to take the heat off absinthe as a toxic ingredient during 'the terror', being that when it is distilled, the woody elements of the pod can create bad alcohol... i think star anis is a substitute for the flavor and clouding abilities of absinthe itself and is over-used in pastis and faux-absinthes to compensate for using sugar and not using absinthe, or very little, even though many old absinthe producers used it in their recipes( my thoughts based on a text translated by artemis and personal discussions, maybe even something i read here!)andy has also experimented with star anis and the product is not as good as green anis...segarra doesn't use star anis...mari mayans? deva?...check your french labels...versinthe 2.2% badiane, bardouin, etc...

By Heiko on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 09:46 am: Edit

Pataphyician,
Iggy Pop was great - even I was rather far away from the stage and the people there were more quietly looking and listening. Iggy is just a good entertainer, you can feel the power in every song. He drove the security mad when he let about 50 people come on stage and let some of them sing (well, kind of...) with him. He just wanted to party with the audience instead of playing big rockstar (which he undoubtetly is).

Melinelly,
Apocalyptica was also great, but it was a shame they had to play at 4 p.m. and the sun was burning. Also it might be better for a concert if they had a singer, but nevertheless all of them showed the same power like Iggy Pop - it seemed like they wanted to kill their celli...

Vera,
I still can't write poetry, damn ;-)
But I can understand now that too much absinthe might provoke fistfights. Even I didn't have any, thank god - but I might have gotten into one rather easily, I guess.
Nevertheless I haven't had that much excessive fun in a long time, but I need at least a half year break from such dionysic partying...

By Artemis on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 08:25 am: Edit

Ordinaire is right. I'm afraid people have been spoiled by products with a thick white louche, and now they expect it.

Absinthe is supposed to "present the colors of the opal" (to quote an old text) when water is added, not turn opaque nor white.

It is difficult to get a decent louche without using a lot of star anise (even a lot of anise won't do nearly as well). In the old days, they would sometimes add even nastier things to please people who wanted that thick white appearance.

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 07:42 pm: Edit

"The actual pun was: "Absinthe makes the TART grow fonder..."

Ya know? I totally forgot! I'd been drinking whiskey sours with everclear yellow jello chasers and eating hotdogs and horseradish hash.

By Timk on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 02:29 pm: Edit

You know what they say, "A yard a day..." no, wait...

By Dr_Ordinaire on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 02:21 pm: Edit

"Many people can`t stand the taste of anis and that`s usualy why they don`t want another glass of absinthe."

Maybe that would change if they taste real absinthe.

My first experience with a commercial absinthe (after years of drinking mine) was with La Fee, which I understood to be a "decent" one.

My first impression of the louche was WOWWWW... How can they do THAT? After I tasted it, I knew. Anise, anise and, for good measure, some essential oil of anise...

Mine tasted and looked so different. Now, I haven't tasted vintage Pernod, but I can tell you that if you look at the illustrations on pages 132 and 147 of Conrad, the louche is just like mine, far more yellower and less white and opaque than La Fee.

La Fee seems to me to be a good pastis with some carefully dosed wormwood added.

By Verawench on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 09:56 am: Edit

I think Heiko is the forum's Verlaine. I can't think of anyone else here who pours that much green down his throat.

Also, damn, Europe has the best fucking music festivals.

By Melinelly on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 09:22 am: Edit

heiko, how was apocalyptica live? been looking forward to more material from them.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 09:12 am: Edit

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder "

The actual pun was: "Absinthe makes the TART grow fonder...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 07:32 am: Edit

Many people can`t stand the taste of anis and that`s usualy why they don`t want another glass of absinthe. Around here, everybody WHANTs to taste the green feary because it`s a legendary ''wicked'' drink. After the first sip, some are very diseapointed...

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 07:13 am: Edit

How was Iggy? I saw him in May and I'm still not quite over it. It was the most intense, sustained display of intelligent dumbass noise possible. That was in a small club, though; I wonder how it projected on a festival stage.

I'm diggin' his new album, too:

"You're wearing a mask. You're wearing a mask. You look better that way. Complicated crushed-up disappointed squirming angry thrusting stabbing regretting starving greedy human alien being, struggling down the street, up the alley, in the elevator, through the party, to the office, in the bedroom, on your way to the morgue. Bullshitting, lying, doing a good deed or feeling loved barely possible. Aware of insatiable demands of not-a-society all around you. Chunky frat boys in their shorts, sex hoochies of the jungle, sensitive smart-aleck college graduates, critics fronting franticly in New York City, everybody in L.A just plain licking ass or having it licked, irony in place of balls, balls in place of brains, brains in place of soul, where is the soul?"

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 06:31 am: Edit

"don't expect me to drink any alcohol for the next few weeks... "

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

By Heiko on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 04:32 am: Edit

That was the question I asked myself before going to a music festival near cologne last weekend. I took three litres with me, and they're gone...
But I had thought my friends would want to try more of it - they didn't (seemed like they were afraid of the "wicked stuff"). At least 2.5 litres went down my own throat.
"I can't drink so much that I do things without remembering" - I had been totally convinced of that.
Last weekend, I managed to reach this unconscious state every single evening.
Maybe the reason for this was that we were only allowed to take with us one litre plastic bottles to the main concert area. One litre, that's definitely five glasses or even more and you can easily drink that down in no time...

One more thing I found out: The first night I had some beer and plum liquor with the absinthe (mostly Montana and Herring but also some NS and a little Segarra). The next morning I felt seasick and had a bad headache. The next three evenings I had only absinthe and never felt too bad the next morning.

Not only the absinthe, the concerts also rocked - Iggy Pop, Apocalyptica, The Prodigy, Tricky, Dreadzone and LTJ Bukem, to name some of the best.

Oh, and don't expect me to drink any alcohol for the next few weeks...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation