Will BEL ship to any country?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Will BEL ship to any country?
By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 06:32 pm: Edit

There are indeed East Coast salmon fisheries; so few, however, that you can count them on one hand. How they have the gumption to lobby is beyond me.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 06:32 pm: Edit

With policies like that is it any wonder that the 'Colossus of the North' is so unpopular in South and Central America?

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 06:30 pm: Edit

The rallying cry in Thailand is "Fair trade, not 'free trade'." Free trade is NOT what the words are supposed to signify.

I didn't even know there were ANY E.coast US salmon fisheries. W.coast and alaska, sure. But E.coast? Where's there a river on the eastern seaboard that isn't so polluted the fish could be used for vapor lamps? Where do the salmon spawn? The Love Canal?

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Chileans have never forgotten what happened when the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture detected a nonlethal amount of cyanide on one -- one -- imported Chilean table grape. Until then, the U.S. was Chile's largest export market for table grapes. (It was later discovered that the grape had been tampered with AFTER it had already reached U.S. shores.)

The U.S. reaction was swift and brutal. At the height of Chile's harvest season, all importation of Chilean table grapes into the U.S. was banned. Other types of Chilean fruit were threatened with the same fate, despite any evidence of poisoning. Farms, packing plants and shipping companies closed; tens of thousands of Chileans lost work; the unexported grapes were given away to schools and hospitals, or merely thrown into the sea.

In short, the Chileans know something about big bans propped up by sloppy science.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 05:20 pm: Edit

That, and the fact that every couple of years the U.S. salmon farmers (all five of them?), raspberry farmers, grape growers and whatnot charge Chile with import "dumping" and press Congress for sanctions. Years ago, the same East Coast salmon farmers tariffed Norwegian salmon out of the U.S. market.

Meanwhile, "free-trade" Uncle Sam accuses China of protectionism ...

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Bingo.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 05:06 pm: Edit

I assume that Uncle Sugar is playing his usual game of tweaking the balance of power around, viz. Chile and Argentina. It's a silly and stupid game and just ends up pissing everyone off.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Forgot to mention that I was born and raised in the U.S.A.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 04:55 pm: Edit

I've been living in Santiago continuously for three years. In '95-'96, my first stint in Chile, I worked at the UN CEPAL (Comisión Económica Para America Latina). I returned to the U.S. in August '96, only to come back to Chile in June '98. I've been here ever since.

I don't know about Dr. Cardoen, but all of Chile knows about some fighter planes its military recently bought from Uncle Sam. The trouble is, Uncle Sam refuses to sell Chile the firepower that goes with the planes. Apparently, this caught everyone by surprise ... LOL

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 04:13 pm: Edit

C., how long have you lived in Chile? Are you from Chile, or an expatriate?

I used to have several good friends there, but alas the years have taken their toll. Dr Carlos Cardoen, the explosives expert, is one. I think he is still alive, but I think his company went away.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 02:09 pm: Edit

So long as it is not "Bebida Mierda", you should be in good shape.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 01:38 pm: Edit

¡Muchas gracias! I look forward to receiving "Bebida Carne Asada".

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 01:26 pm: Edit

We will ship to Chile.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Thanks, Don. Chile has no restrictions against personal imports of hard liquor via post, and I've not had any "missing bottle" experiences. The price of the import duty is based on the value of the liquor.

Christina(?) at SC informed me that they don't ship to Chile. She didn't say why. I'll write her today for an explanation, and then let you know.

Many companies outside of Latin America are nervous about shipping to it. Chile, however, is quite stable. Let's see what SC says.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 12:57 pm: Edit

We don't know anything about Chilean postal regs and customs regs. Have you had any trouble with personal imports of hard liquor via post?

Only Ted can give you a hard and fast answer, I'm just asking a question.

The other question is WHY SC won't ship to Chile. If it is becasue their experience is that shipments always get stopped, well, that's the sort of thing we need to know.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Spirits Corner doesn't ship to the country where I live: Chile.

Ted, Don, will BEL ship to Chile? (And everywhere else, for that matter?)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation