FIVE, FOUR, THREE, TWO, ONE ...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: FIVE, FOUR, THREE, TWO, ONE ...
By Riku964 on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 01:05 pm: Edit

The Head did say:
"And who else in this Forum can put their head through three feet of plaster wallboard and still walk away without the slightest migraine."

Well, I for one can. There was a brief delay between putting head through sheetrock, impacting the fridge on the other side of the wall, and walking away without the slightest migraine only because I was fully unconscious for a while, but damn I felt fine when I woke up.

Must be a Michigan thing.

By Tavarua on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Damn other siders;-) Oh well. If you have other shit like that flash I'll definately have to stop on over. That's my kind of humor.

By Melinelly on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Tav, there's been a thread about that flash movie for a couple weeks now over the the Suffering is Hip forum... pft, crazy Absinthe Forumites thinking they're all with it and trendy =P hehe jk, but do drop in on the other side sometime.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Anyway what do you need free speech for? You've got a ballot paper every 4 or 5 years haven't you?

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

There are fewer and fewer places indeed where free speech is tolerated. Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park is interesting, just put down your soap box, step up on it and speak and you're surrounded by a crowd of listeners and hecklers. Karl Marx, Emmeline Pankhurst and Marcus Garvey all did this at Speakers corner.

A bit sad though when you have to have small areas like this set aside for free speech, I suppose the government likes to have 'trouble makers' (i.e people who's views are not in line with government policy) speaking in designated spots so that they can keep an eye on them.

In fact former Home Secretary Jack Straw (not exactly a great libertarian) likes it so much he wanted to set up a Speaker's Corner in every UK town, in addition to dramatically increasing police CCTV surveilance on the high street, introducing mandatory genetic fingerprinting for everyone, and making it illegal for groups of people to assemble for peaceful protest without police permission.

And we think we live in the 'Free World'.

Hobgoblin

By Perruche_Verte on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 12:25 pm: Edit

No offense taken, Hobgoblin. I do enjoy discussing the issue, because the issues of free speech and public space are becoming more and more difficult as "public" space is effectively replaced by semi-public or private spaces such as this one.

Take a picket sign down to the shopping mall and see what happens.

By Tavarua on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 11:05 am: Edit

Sorry about that, here you go.

http://www.frashii.com/wldo.swf

By Tavarua on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 11:04 am: Edit

All right, enough of this, it’s Friday. I have taken it upon myself to lighten the room up a little with singing squirrels voicing his opinion about genitalia, among other things, in song.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

I guess this forum isn't quite 'Animal Farm' but if it was which members would be which characters?

By Admin on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 10:29 am: Edit

You know, when I first instituted the registration process, it generated the same respones from some well respected users. I *do* respect your opinion, and your need to voice it. As long as you respect mine (which you do).

It's all you silly Europeans, with your damn foolish notions of Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité. Well, we have that too, but have been convinced that to settle for much less doesn't make us liberal sell-outs.

Kudos to you.

Still, this ain't no Orwellian nightmare.

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 10:22 am: Edit

Perruche,

Fair enough, no point in us generating a long protracted discussion on this and my analogies were indeed a bit over-extended. But whether it's censorship or not I still don't agree with it and I am entitled to complain about it, but it doesn't cause me to lose any sleep either.

I feel that in my earlier post to you I adopted an unwarranted aggressive tone and you have my apologies for this.

Hobgoblin

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 04:55 pm: Edit

shhh!

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Let me tell you a little story about a man named SHhhhh!!!

By Perruche_Verte on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 01:25 pm: Edit

H.,

My primary objection was really a linguistic one. Censorship by definition is something that a higher authority imposes on a writer or publisher. If any one publisher (e.g.,a Webmaster/mistress; Web pages are a form of publication) refuses to print or distribute a certain author's "work", that is not censorship. That doesn't mean it's always fair or right, but you need a different word for it. Do you believe that every publication or publishing house everywhere needs to print everything that's submitted to it? It isn't as though you need a letter from the Queen to set up your own web site.

We do see de facto censorship in a lot of Western democracies, where newspaper publishers collectively decide what is considered an acceptable range of opinion, generally ranging from tepid center-left to borderline fascist, and nothing outside that spectrum sees the light of day, but see Chomsky for that.

"[V]irtually every company is private property, does that mean that the owners of these companies should have 'carte blanche' to do as they please? [keep unions out, etc...] Virtually every newspaper is private property, does the same apply to them?"

I think you're overextending the analogy with regard to unions, unless you believe that people who post to this forum are media workers and should be entitled not to have their posts deleted even if they're being total assholes. In which case, organize away, but I'm not sure how well it'll go over on the shop floor.

Newspapers can and do print or discard any copy they please, in keeping with their editorial line. You can complain about the lack of balance, and many people do, but in the end it's your money and you either buy the paper or you don't. Similarly if Kallisti adopted ridiculous standards for what belonged here or didn't, people would stop posting and she'd have no forum.

I have no love of private property but right now it exists and I'm not averse to using the institution to achieve the desired results (i.e. getting rid of jerks) where necessary. I'm not clear however whether a web page is really "private" property or merely personal property, if you see the distinction.

PV

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 11:29 am: Edit

Perruche,

I have nothing personally against Kallisti but that doesn't mean I have to obediently agree with everything she does. At the end of the day she can do as she pleases and I will ultimately just have to put up with it. But that doesn't mean that I have to just shut up and agree with it.

You surprise me Perruche, virtually every company is private property, does that mean that the owners of these companies should have 'carte blanche' to do as they please? Are the Unions just sticking their noses into what is none of their business, after all they don't own the company. Virtually every newspaper is private property, does the same apply to them? The scale of things may be different but the principle is still the same, principles do not alter according to scale. If I don't like something then I'm entitled to speak out and I will (even if I don't expect to win).

Hobgoblin

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Milord H.,

I know I'll sound like an Internet dweeb, but
remember, it is not "censorship" for Kallisti
to delete anything she doesn't care to have
displayed on her site, any more than it is "censorship" for my local radical bookseller to refuse to carry Fascist literature.

Kallisti's bandwidth is private property. I know as good revolutionaries you and I are supposed to be against that, but overthrowing the fucking class system, and the work it will take to do that, is quite a different matter from allowing babies to smear their excrement on the walls of Kallisti's Absinthe Bar. It's her joint and she gets to deny service to anyone she pleases.

PV

By Dr_Ordinaire on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 09:03 pm: Edit

If I were a pirate, instead of a conservative Swiss country doctor, I'll bet 100 gold pieces on the ol' bucaneer...

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 08:31 pm: Edit

500 quatloos on the Old Guard!

By Piezoid on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I bet 100 quatloo's on the newcomers.

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 06:06 pm: Edit

I forgot, you and your modern medicine.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Quote:

And who else in this Forum can put their head through three feet of plaster wallboard and still walk away without the slightest migraine.

Me. I am mighty and nigh invulnerable.

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 04:49 pm: Edit

uh oh der!

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 04:49 pm: Edit

And who else in this Forum can put their head through three feet of plaster wallboard and still walk away without the slightest migraine.

Besides Stephen King and I are roughing out our first draft for the FULL HOUSE sequel "FULL HOUSES - Michelle-o-vision " when little Michelle Tanner (Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen) gets split in two by "The Shop" (a black ops government weapons research unit) the hilarity ensues...

"I'm no exception, please call my name!"

By Verawench on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 03:47 pm: Edit

"Why should yourself and Head have all the fun?"

Because we're the best.

By Admin on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 03:03 pm: Edit

Quote:

Kallisti, if you look at the troll's last post (yesterday's) it's being successfully ignored.

and it's still there, isn't it.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 02:58 pm: Edit

Vera,

Why should yourself and Head have all the fun?

Hobgoblin

By Verawench on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 02:27 pm: Edit

"I second Don's proposal: ostracism. Death by ignoring. First to answer a troll would wear the Forum's dunce cap for a week... "

I have a better idea.

I am volunteering both head and myself to be the ONLY ones to handle trolls. As soon as one posts, we go to work with data firehoses. We confuse'em, use'em, abuse'em, absurdify'em, defy'em, and everyone else watches with giggly delight.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Kallisti, if you look at the troll's last post (yesterday's) it's being successfully ignored.

Pretty soon nobody would be able to see it without scrolling down the page.

Look, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other, it's that trying to censor trolls' threads is like fighting the Hydra...

By Admin on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 01:53 pm: Edit

either you ignore them, or I delete them. you can't have it both ways.

I deleted the first 234989 messages because they hadn't been ignored.

Despite how friendly and non-authoritative I am, this is not an unmoderated list, and I draw the line at CASE BOOK trolls clogging it up.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Doc,

The dunce cap wouldn't work. A devious troll could reel people in and gradually escalate things. Their troll-nature would not be entirely evident from their first postings. Anyway if someone insults me (troll or otherwise) I (and some others) will respond, that's just our nature.

On principle I do think censorship is wrong (unless you are protecting minors or preventing illegal acts being shown) and censorship of threads is no exception. Also once a post is posted then people read it and when you censor it later to avoid others reading it you create inequality of access.

Hobgoblin

By Dr_Ordinaire on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 11:43 am: Edit

The problem with censoring threads is not that is wrong, but that it is impossible.

Trolls can take infinite online names and therefore register infinite times with infinite personas.

The only way to fight that would be to establish a "posting time delay", like the one they use on TV to bleep four letter words.

I second Don's proposal: ostracism. Death by ignoring. First to answer a troll would wear the Forum's dunce cap for a week...

Vera, Head, this law would not be retroactive, OK?

By Admin on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 09:28 am: Edit

Please educate yourselves before quoting Orwell at me:

http://digital.net/~gandalf/trollfaq.html

http://spiralx.dyndns.org/howto.html
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/2342/waste.html
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/2342/tracks.html

By Larsbogart on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

how come noone slammed the betty ?

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 03:24 pm: Edit

I do have a hat with ear flaps somewhere, and I certainly have a healthy disdain for work. Come to think of it, I've been having nose-hair issues lately too. OH GOD! Are my valves next?

By Blygdon on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 10:46 am: Edit

heh. Lucky Dogs. I was just talking about them last weekend while eating a 'dog off the street vendor in Indianapolis. Actually, I was eating it off a bun, but that's another story and not as much fun as the previous sentence. Pushing a lucky dog cart...might have pushed some lucky dog vendors. Again, another story. One of my favorite books is a copy of Ig's story in German, courtesy of that great book store in Riverwalk before the boat ran into it and wiped out several not-so-important establishments. Funny stuff. Off to read cousin's latest gambit. What a boring post this is, about as good as yesterday's oatmeal and root canal, performed by an endodontist who reminded me way too much of doogie howser and whose certificate to practice is 666 and who's initials need an "a" to spell out Satan...I wasn't uneasy at all, nope, not me.

oh happy tuesday everyone, said everybit like a smiling stewardess

- Josh

By Maxpower on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

since there seems to be quite a few joshs on here,im no longer using the name "joshua"not that i post much anyway,just seeing the name josh everywere confuses me simple mind

By Greenhour on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 08:46 am: Edit

After Confederacy, read The Neon Bible. John Kennedy Tooles only other book. He wrote when he was 16. Incredible!

By Bjacques on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 03:46 am: Edit

Yer all a bunch of communiss!

I've only read the first few pages. I've got to find a copy. I lived in NO only a couple of years as a kid, but half my family is from there and most still is.

By Malhomme on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 09:43 pm: Edit

ROTFL!!!
Licky Dog cart....

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Ugh. Lucky Dog cart.

By Bob_Chong on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Talk about your Freudian slips, Don. Good one!

BC

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Nose hairs? Cap w/ear flaps? Disdain for work? Ever push a Licky Dog cart?

Valve problems?

By _Blackjack on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:37 pm: Edit

I once got hit on for having a copy of Confederacy of Dunces in my pocket.

I read it originally because several people had compared me to Ignatious Reiley. I was rather miffed when I discovered they had been insulting me...

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:05 pm: Edit

The frenchie vampire types just hang with Anne Rice at her uptown pad (formerly a nunnery and home for unwed mothers, I kid you not!) and they, like her, are not natives.

The real NOLA 'characters', well depicted in the novel A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES, would scare the bejeezus out of the Addams clan.

I was born and raised there but now choose to live as far away as possible.

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Ah yes, there was a little "mist" rising from it. I just assumed that the Addamses lived in New Orleans, along with those Frenchy vampire types.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:50 pm: Edit

She just won't drink anything but Ted's.

But she does drop a little dry-ice in it, when the weather is muggy.

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:42 pm: Edit

I don't know how green your stuff is, but I swear I saw Morticia with a glass of it -- unwatered, naturally! -- at Fester's farewell party. (The first film, as if you didn't know.)

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Debbie: (aside to Morticia) "Isn't he a ladykiller?"

Gomez: "Acquitted!"

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:37 pm: Edit

And that IS our House slogan and business plan (at Chateau Jade).

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:33 pm: Edit

"Don't torture yourself, Gomez ... that's my job."

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Debbie: "Where do you find these Addams men?"

Morticia: "It has to be damp."

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:31 pm: Edit

"Brother!"

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Gomez, at your service.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Nope. Kallisti has been at this (cyber) for 14 years and she knows from experience what the best course of action is. Institutionalizing the worthless graffiti of trolls is not the way to go. Using the equivalent of a Tantalus Device on them is.

(and I fell out of my chair when you came up with the Addams family motto)

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:22 pm: Edit

"WHY? So you can pick it back up, send nasty come-backs to Josh and escalate things further?"

No. So we can have what many of you had last Saturday: The freedom to read (or decide not to read) what is posted openly.

This forum's existence is a privilege, not a right. It looks great, works well, informs and entertains. Kallisti owns and maintains the blackboard; those who post make the chalk marks.

Posting forumites have responsibilities. Staticburst was offensive, forumites were unwilling or unable to ignore him (which would have led the guy to shut himself up quite effectively -- and without receiving any satisfaction), and so he was booted. Fine. It worked ... for now. Onward and upward, as they say.

But people who put blackboards out in public have responsibilities as well. Let each of us read and judge for ourselves. After all, why can't I see what was posted? Is it dangerous? Of course not. (Or maybe it is. But must I blindly trust your word for it?)

Burying all traces of Staticburst's attacks and forumites responses -- and counterattacks -- hides the past but DOESN'T protect the future. Anyone, at any time, can slide right into this forum and do what Staticburst did. I don't expect you to sit by your computer 24 hours a day, so nipping things in the bud -- quickly --may not always be feasible. So then, what? More thread burials?

Dump these carcasses in an open Monkey Pit, well-sprinkled with lye.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:17 pm: Edit

And while having just participated in this thread, Kallisti is right as usual.

This thread is the forum equivalent of gawkers around the site of a car crash.

The proper thing is to say, go home, nothing to see here, the blood's already been washed away from the asphalt and the brains scraped up into a shiny stainless steel pan.

In short -- I second Kallisti in deleting this thread as well, and urge others to simply FORGET the entire, utterly insignificant and loathsome affair.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Lord H, if you opt to have posts emailed to you then you have them local on your hard disk (or web server) and then if they are deleted here, you can still peruse them.

Staticburst did NOT reply to any of your posts.

Tavarua, it was not a good fight, it was a cheap slanging match where one of the slangers was semi-literate.

Kallisti did the only possible correct thing. Trolls, and this guy was a classic troll in the purse sense, not a dissenter, not a critic, trolls need to be evicted and their handiwork wiped out.

For example, the only guy who found common cause with staticburst was our old pal timk, and while I think this was utterly debased behavior on his part, I have not and will not ask for the banning of timk, who is not a troll, merely an asshole. Assholes are perfectly welcome, in my humble opinion, trolls are not.

Who is ultimate arbiter of the distinction between a malcontent and a creature who sleeps under a bridge? Not I.

Kallisti Herself Alone. It's her board.

By Admin on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Morrigan understands.

Thank you.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 04:48 pm: Edit

We're not here to talk about absinthe, we're here to talk about everything under the sun. If we spent most time talking about absinthe there would be sod all posts and most of us would get bored and leave.

It's not an "agro thing"and has nothing to do with testosterone levels, it's an information thing. I've no intention of addressing staticburst ever again, I just want to know what was posted, see whether he replied to my 2 posts directed at him, and generally make up my own mind rather than just be expected to take other people's word for it (something I never like doing). A monkey bin would be great.

Hobgoblin

By Morriganlefey on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 04:36 pm: Edit

I've kept out of this, but I really must say something in Kallisti's defense, because I for one agree with her.

Although I find Melinelly's Monkey Bin notion interesting (heck, I love just about anything involving monkeys), may I remind everyone that we're here to talk about ABSINTHE. Not bickering fights, or the results of those fights, or who's being nasty & who isn't. Creating a special posting space for such crap only empowers it.

I know I'll be bashed for sounding sexist, but sometimes I feel as though this IS an "agro thing". The women here want to move on & make Josh and the whole thing a "non-entity", while (many of) the men here very badly want to read the nasty posts they missed. WHY? So you can pick it back up, send nasty come-backs to Josh and escalate things further?

The best way to better this whole situation is to FORGET ABOUT IT. Let's not feed Josh's ego by wasting even one more breath (or typed letter) on him. Period.

- Morrigan

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 04:35 pm: Edit

"It was a child throwing rocks at a moving train."

Indeed; but trains don't throw rocks back at bratty kids. Pretty smart, those locomotives. Admirable self-control.

By Artemis on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 04:32 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure Staticburst, or Josh, didn't mention any names, other than those of the people who engaged him directly in the deleted "discussion", and he didn't even mention many of those - he ignored most of them, in fact, in a single-minded attack on Don.

He stated in his first post that 90% of the people in here make him sick, then he ripped into Don and kept ripping.

Mostly it was between him and Don. A few people other people jumped in, and Josh ignored most of them, including me. He did tell Vera to stay out of it, and called her and Marc a name or too, but it was pretty mild, childish stuff I thought.

FWIW, all I did was mention that throwing out the name of a restaurant with some fame (which he did) doesn't prove that you are a chef there (which he claimed). I also mentioned some humorous but unrelated stuff I found on the Web while searching for the restaurant. It wasn't that big a deal - I can remember a lot of fights here that were better.

By Admin on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 04:29 pm: Edit

My point is, to spell it out, that continuing to talk about it is only feeding the mania. That to disempower such bozos, you have to wipe 'em clean.

Whatever, its too late anyways. It just irks me.

It was not a profound argument, for anyone who missed it, it was profoundly stupid. It was a child throwing rocks at a moving train. Or posting 2348734 stupid messages on a semi-public forum.

Hang it up already. You're just making his panties wet.

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 03:00 pm: Edit

Thank you, Melinelly. Thorough and well put.

By Melinelly on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 02:43 pm: Edit

or she's just too busy heh.

in any case, to answer yer question, i have no problem with her deleting this thread. she posted this in answer to what was going on and to inform those who might wonder what happened to the various battlegrounds. that this thread would follow makes sense to me since she wanted to erase the debacle altogether, and this is the only remaining trace.

now, if you want to start a thread debating the future outcomes of such dogfights, i see no reason why she should delete those, and would disagree with such a move. in fact, i would be interested to see such a thread started. one of my suggestions to Kallisti was to create a new sub-forum into which she could dump all nasty threads so a.) they wouldn't clutter the forum, b.) so the arseholes remain in the open, and c.) so those who did have some interest in what happened could get their fix.

Hob, from memory, I don't recall Josh taking further personal swings at anyone near the pinnacle of his demise (including you). There may have been one single post at which he tried to address various defenders, but aside from that it seemed he was aiming all his shots at Don and repeating himself while everyone else rallied and threw unanswered questions and challenges his way with the usual witty repose you'd expect from your forumite comrades. Sorry I can't quote or be exact, but as I suggested below, given the situation and Kallisti's wishes, you may have luck off the boards in finding what you seek.

By Tabreaux on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 02:32 pm: Edit

I've been away for several days, only to return to talk of deleted threads. Sounds pretty bad.

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 02:17 pm: Edit

The question for me is not "whether she can wipe out this thread", but "whether doing so would be an abuse of power".

I must add that so far, she HAS NOT -- and that says something very good about her. Let's see what happens ...

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Kalisti can do what she wants, it's her forum and it's up to her but if there's a chance that someone may have posted something directed at me I'd rather know and be able to read it. It's nothing to do with missing the point but it's to do with knowing what may or may not have been posted about oneself.

Hobgoblin

Tav, no problem with mistaking my 'nationality', an easy mistake. Bob Marley once said "I don't care much for this passport thing" (or words to that effect) and he was right. Nationality is a con anyway.

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 01:34 pm: Edit

I have a feeling that not a few forumites enjoyed the rush of their "righteous anger".

It was a fight.
A crowd formed. Some joined in.
The offending perpetrator was booted off and exiled. His words were deleted.
The crowd dispersed.
Don't ask, lest your words be next ... like those of this thread.

By Tavarua on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Damn, I missed a really, really good fight. Apparently there is more to it than simple things said on the forum. Oh well, maybe some good soul will find it in their heart to send me a transcript of the ongoings. I can’t imagine a fight that actually got everyone so pissed off, that this jag-off got the boot. I have seen some pretty viscous battles in this forum and the hook factor never came up, but I wasn’t here, so I don’t know what was said. I won’t bring it up again.

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Melinelly, do you second Kallisti's decision that "this thread is [to be wiped out] next"?

By Melinelly on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Tav, i'm sure if you ask the right folks politely, you may have your interest satisfied. However, seeing as Kallisti wishes to make this a non-thing, you (and the rest of us as well) would be better off pursuing this off the boards. After all, this is ultimately Her house, and we are all but guests... some welcome, and some not, as we have seen.

Heiko may still have the posts seeing as he receives them as emails to keep up to date.

I had many many issues with Josh, but I wanted to stay out of it since it was already quite out of hand, and was one of the many who alerted Kallisti off the boards as to what was happening. In fact, I may yet email the bugger concerning words he threw at Don and Vera in particular to which I took personal offence. It takes a lot to really piss me off, and I was literally throwing punches and nasty words at my poor innocent monitor.

Again, as for re-posting the threads, it would be a waste of Kallisti's bandwidth and space, and would act not as a reminder but as a continued offence, a fould stench that was cleaned as it should be. Keeping a compost bucket in the kitchen is one thing, but a toilet is a whole 'nother matter.

By Tavarua on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Drunk, no, better, I am working right now, thank God. I love my work, and you can too with a little brainwashing. Um, brains.

Actually, I wasn’t thinking when I made the “God Save the Queen” reference to Lord. Sorry brother, I forgot you were Irish, only living over there.

Is that why you ask Bob?

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:42 pm: Edit

"This thread is next" ? Jesus ...

By Admin on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:35 pm: Edit

you are missing the point. the entire purpose of wiping is so that this becomes a non-entity. period.

this thread is next ...

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Kallisti, why not send Head the deleted threads and posts: he can create a webpage with them, à la "The Man from Chert".

By Bob_Chong on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Tav:

Are you drunk right now?

BC

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Only the "nice", pre-Saturday posts remain in the archives.

I'm morbidly curious to read the posts made on Saturday after 2:00pm PST, when I logged off.

By Tavarua on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:14 pm: Edit

Or in your case Lord, “God Save the Queen.”

By Tavarua on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:12 pm: Edit

As would I. It's a little cruel to make an entire thread about this incident, meanwhile, those of us who were away, have no idea what you folks are speaking about. So Kallista, I appeal to you, in all of your wisdom, to reinstate the “Justin Files” so the future generations will learn from his mistakes, realize what is and is not inappropriate. Just think of what a better place this world would be. God bless America.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:00 pm: Edit

I'm not bothered one way or the other if he's been booted off the forum but have all the posts made by and about Staticburst been erased? I've been away over the weekend and wouldn't mind seeing his replies and to know whether he directed anything at me.

Hobgoblin

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 10:30 am: Edit

An open letter to Staticburst, in case he's still lurking ...

I don't know who you are; I don't care what you do for a living (for all I know, half the forumites shovel shit in China for a paycheck -- who cares?); I can only guess why you decided to play crude, malicious mindgames with the forum. I'm certain, however, that you deserved your sentence: exile.

When you shove people around, some of them are going to shove back. Shove them some more, and they'll knock you on your ear. Did you expect any less? SIC GORGIAMVS ILLOS SUBIECTATOS NVNC. (We Gladly Feast On Those Who Would Subdue Us.)

You acted as a child. Personally, I think you goaded the forumites to react in a childish way, calling you a cockroach and so on. Much of that is on YOUR head -- YOU instigated it. Still, I believe the forumites should have ignored you. But guess what: You won't see me dropping "ad hominem" bombs on the others for reacting as they did. That's their business; they're adults.

Rabble-rousing is a shabby pastime, Staticburst. Leave it to the politicians; stick to cooking.

By Tavarua on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 07:54 am: Edit

Shit, looks like a missed a good fight. When did this guy start raving.

By Oxygenee on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:19 am: Edit

"...While I'm at it let me thank all of the forumites who DID stand in that Roman Square with shields locked....."

No problem Don. What we do in life echoes in eternity.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 05:12 pm: Edit

While I'm at it let me thank all of the forumites who DID stand in that Roman Square with shields locked. And if I miss anybody, it's just because I don't have those 8 threads to go reference and I have to rely on my memory. Mea culpa.

MARC, with whom I once fought many a nasty knockdown brawl, but whose personal integrity, honesty and guts I have since come to regard very highly even when we diagree, thanks my friend.

ARTEMIS, with whom I have rarely disagreed, dom' arigato. You can protect my flank anytime.

VERAWENCH, whose defense crossed gulfs of gender, generation and geography, and who the creep vilified for her pains, my gratitude!

LORD HOBGOBLIN, with whom I have wrangled about politics, but whose humanity and goodheartedness I have never seen cause to doubt, Up the Rebels!

DR ORDINAIRE, whose quick-off-the-dime response in my defense surprised even himself, and who has no cause to love me, perhaps we have more to agree about than to disagree. Many thanks. Me casa su casa.

OXYGENEE, who was first to post back when this started, and correctly assessed the cretin as a 'suicide bomber', many thanks.

KALLISTI, who was already on the case thanks to M/Bat, before I emailed her, great thanks and pls tell Morganta to stop giggling.

HEAD, good show.

HEIKO, you called it right.

APOLOGIES AND APPRECIATION to anyone I have overlooked.

"You guys...are the BEST bunch of friends a fellow could have!" -- Uncle Fester at his bachelor party, just before they discovered the stripper in the cake had been baked alive...'Addams Family Values'

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Hey Zack, I didn't see you among the phalanx of forumites who drove this asshole away, and you certainly weren't the one who bore the brunt of the asshole's assault.

So enough with the insinuations of overreaction. I do call this place 'home' in cyberspace and so do a lot of us, and despite our differences, we pulled together and ejected this little shit, who was just out to cause trouble.

I don't think the cockroach metaphors are overstaed. Unless you want to argue that cockroaches are smarter and perhaps more appealing?

Or perhaps I am misunderstanding your point?

Kallisti doesn't like to intervene lightly.

By Zack on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 03:31 pm: Edit

"It has to do with having something disgusting and repulsive slither around a place you call home."

"Yes, talk freedom of speech all you like, but then ask yourself whether it extends to loud, drunken strangers in your living room at 2 AM."

Nope, not a bit of hysteria at all here. Some of us obviously overlooked the gravity.

p.s. theres a disgusting, repulsive, drunken stranger masturbating in your living room, right now.

By _Blackjack on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 03:29 pm: Edit

It's kinda surreal, tho. Two days ago, I logged on sober, and the obard looked perfectly normal. Last night, I logged on drunk, and it was smeared with this guy's stupid posts. Today, sober again, it's as if it never happened, as if Josh was some sort of unfortunate secondary effect caused by following absinthe with tequila shots.

I have a very good technique for dealing with roaches, BTW. I have this little butane min-torch that I use for lighting cigars, and if I see a roach, I immolate it. I swear the little buggers scream, and give off a smell that warns other roaches to stay away. So far I've seen maybe one roach a year in my apartment, despite there being tons in other units of my building.

My friend had a variation at one group house, which they called the "Spartacus Technique." Instead of killing roches that they saw, they would staple them alive to the wall as a warning to the others...

By Anatomist1 on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 01:39 pm: Edit

"On the other hand, we have a combined IQ of about 300. We have the combined wit of Wilde and W.C. Fields. What the fuck are we afraid of?"

I was just doing the math on this. With 353 registered users that amounts to less than one IQ point each. Wit-wise, that puts us at about 0.6% of one dead guy each. It looks like we should be afraid of just about any multi-celled organism.

K.

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 01:19 pm: Edit

"This site has been taken offline until some childish quarrels are taken care of. Please check back in a couple of days. Thank you."

Huh?

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

You are not alone http://furry.de/spr/

By Artemis on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 10:23 am: Edit

..."he was such a nice, quiet guy, always friendly. I can't believe it."

EVERY time they ask neighbours of mass murderers and sadistic rapists the neighbours will say this, EVERY SINGLE time!

Yes, that's what TV has done for us; it has taught people to follow the lame-ass script.

Every time a tornado destroys a trailer park in Skint Possum, Alabama, some reporterette will stick a microphone in the face of a 350-pound toothless Bubba, who will dutifully recite:

"It looked like a bomb had went off ..." (this from a person who has never been close to anything more potent than a Raid roach bomb in his life)

and

"It sounded like a freight train a comin' ..."

As though a freight train sounded any different than an Amtrak train, and totally ignoring the fact it sounded like a fucking tornado, which sounds like nothing else on this earth than a tornado ....

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 09:00 am: Edit

Yes, talk freedom of speech all you like, but then ask yourself whether it extends to loud, drunken strangers in your living room at 2 AM. There is nothing Orwellian about tossing a bad actor out on his ear.

Actually, if this were Orwell (or better, Graham Greene), the loud drunken bastard would be the cousin or nephew of Number One, and we'd still be serving him drinks, terrified of what would happen if anyone dared say anything.

By Heiko on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 08:24 am: Edit

"he was polite and in no way confrontational"

..."he was such a nice, quiet guy, always friendly. I can't believe it."

EVERY time they ask neighbours of mass murderers and sadistic rapists the neighbours will say this, EVERY SINGLE time!

By Heiko on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 07:58 am: Edit

"he suddenly got a bug up his ass over Don and started throwing extremely lame insults at him. Very strange."

He probably got pissed of that nobody noticed him, that Head was much funnier than him, Don makes better Absinthe and that he has the lowest IQ. Then he smoked some crack and there we had another inmate for our mental institutions...

By Heiko on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 07:52 am: Edit

Thank god I have all the posts sent by e-mail, so I was just having a little fun reading all the erased stuff.

It somehow reminded me of a statement by Fantomas: "We're the best band in the world. Just name one band and we'll tell you that we're better. It's that easy!"

Only those guys rock (and know what they're talking about).

By Artemis on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 07:08 am: Edit

Bob, see the archives - Staticburst still has a few posts in there.

Only a couple of weeks ago he was polite and in no way confrontational (not that I remember him, but I've just checked the archives and was surprised to see how utterly his demeanor contrasted there with what just went down).

For some reason in the last day or so he suddenly got a bug up his ass over Don and started throwing extremely lame insults at him. Very strange.

By Marc on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 01:23 am: Edit

Cheese/Josh is a friend of mine and should never be confused with the banished troll known as staticburst (sounds like a cheap candy). Cheese is a good guy who I met thru the forum and who helped me design my web page.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 01:16 am: Edit

Bob, it was Staticburst

Vera, it's just as well you didn't see.

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 01:05 am: Edit

Which Josh was this (Staticburst, Cheese, or one of the other Joshes)?

That's why Head is such a great name. There's only one.

BC

By Verawench on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 12:11 am: Edit

I didn't see those comments, thankfully. I'm all for defending Don, Head and everyone else he insulted - but looking after my own lily behind matters most and I WOULD have ripped him to shreds.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Give the possum who so stupidly fell into the garbage can, trapped, shit and pissed himself today, more credit. At least he was looking for food.

Sorry, no photoshop photos.

By Marc on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Vera,
I thought his comments directed at you were particularly odious. I hope you weren't hurt by them. The troll accrued some bad karma during his visit here. He'll get his.

By Verawench on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Marc, an analogy, perhaps: I see this as squashing the hell out of a particularly disgusting and giant-ass cockroach you found scurrying around your kitchen floor. Then you hose him off real good and spray the floor with lysol. All the while cussing loudly.

I don't think that ignoring such a lowly creature and simply letting him scurry on his merry little way has anything to do with our own wit or intelligence. It has to do with having something disgusting and repulsive slither around a place you call home.

Call it the killer instinct. I, for one, am proud to see that none of my fellow forumites even CONSIDERED the lamer's "argument" and went straight for the RAID.

Bravo, boys.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 09:59 pm: Edit

While JL and I were the target (he conspicuously avoided mentioning Ted) he also went out of his way to insult 90% of the forumites and ridicule virtually every aspect of what we like to discuss. He hates: historical, botaincal, chemical discussions, accessories, etc. In his view, only 'existing' absinthes should be discussed, which rather obscures the fact that new absinthes appear all the time (and others disappear). Not to mention the fact that many, most of them are at ebst mediocrities and at worst, cat piss. (A few noyable exceptions exist to be sure.)

In short he was a pure troll, and K. treated him like a troll ought to be treated.

By Marc on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 09:46 pm: Edit

what blows my mind is how we allow such cretins to usurp our time and energy. I fall right into it. Later, I feel like an idiot for doing so.
I actually let these insignificant trolls get the best of me. I want to crush their pathetic skulls, shove hot pokers up their bungholes and
hurl bat dung in their faces. What's wrong with me? Will drugs help?

By Admin on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 09:44 pm: Edit

not afraid. just bored.

I've been part of one online community or another for 14 years. This is not new, but very very old. And I'd prefer not to watch the children discover the joy of jerking it in public on my front lawn.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 09:02 pm: Edit

I read "1984" when I was, what, 24, 25? The last line in the book, I remember, hit me like a punch in my belly. I felt actually sick.

Thanks, Zack.

This guy Josh might be the ultimate fuck. I think he is. All he has done is to attack Jade in general and Don in particular. As far as we know, he has no interest in absinthe at all.

On the other hand, we have a combined IQ of about 300. We have the combined wit of Wilde and W.C. Fields. What the fuck are we afraid of?

By Zack on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Welcome to Room 101, did you think you could escape our telescreens?!

-MiniTrue-

By Admin on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 07:45 pm: Edit

*rawr*

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Kallisti...Kali...I know better than to mess with the Great Goddess.

Anyway, it was good for a brief shining moment to be all together, to put our differences out. I wasn't totally kidding when I thanked the guy...

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Great is Kallisti, and awesome is Her wrath.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Dr O, under no conceivable epistomological interpretation of the verb 'to win' could the recently departed ever possibly win at anything.

He is now an unperson. A memory, and a fleeting moderately unpleasant one at that. That's all that remains of his rantings.

By Marc on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Poof! And he's gone.

By Admin on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Not if you do it my way. Heh.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Kallisti, just my opinion, please don't. If you censure him (her) he/she wins.

By Admin on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 06:27 pm: Edit

you guessed it ...

BOOM.

Josh, this may be a little weekend fun for you, but you are proving nothing by wasting our time.

Might I suggest the entomology boards for some hoots? Or go tell the horticulturalists that they talk like a woman but cry just like a little girl.

And while this might have been briefly amusing for the rest of us, Josh obviously has nothing to say, has done nothing, and I for one am not interested if he ever has anything of note to contribute here or elsewhere. *yawn*

Waiting, poised and ready to pull the plug ...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation