Anyone one drink absinthe straight?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Anyone one drink absinthe straight?
By Heiko on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:52 pm: Edit

"if you wake up with your head in a pool of vomit"

Not with absinthe - even I had much too much absinthe the whole festival weekend I never felt sick, not one minute.

By Kayman18 on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 02:26 pm: Edit

not good lord not shots

but over 1 maybe 2 ice cubes in a glass

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 02:14 pm: Edit

"You say you passed out on the floor - was it kind of a spontaneous falling asleep?"

A good way of knowing is that if you wake up with your head in a pool of vomit then it probably wasn't a case of spontaneous falling asleep.

By Tavarua on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 09:28 am: Edit

Sorry for the mispelled named.

Tav.

By Tavarua on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 09:27 am: Edit

Hieko,

I canít say exactly how much I drank, I can tell you the bottle was kicked. As for remembering any details, this is impossible, I can only recall what was told to me by the ONE person who had recollection. I do recall that I was awaken from the floor, I was taken to my room by this girl, who encouraged me that ďit was time for bed.Ē She led me to the room, sat me on the bed and started to spark up conversation on who knows what, when I got up and said I wanted to return to my gathering of friends, and at the least keep a steady eye, so that no rowdyness occurred. The next day, when I thought about this, needless to say, I was distraught. Anyway, after that, It got a little blurry. However, I do not believe it was a fall over passing out. I believe I was laying on the floor listening to music when alcohol induced sleep took over. Radiohead, no matter how loudly blurred from the speakers is a recipe for sleep disaster.

By Heiko on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 08:55 am: Edit

The most important point is to measure exactly how much you drink - therefore it is quite good to go through the ritual of adding water (and sugar, if applicable) every time you're going to have a new glass.

Tavarua, what you described sounds exactly like what happened to me every evening at the festival last week. I was having watered down Montana and Herring out of a 1 litre bottle - but the problem was I never had to refill a glass and could drink the mixture very quickly...
Just the same with shots, I guess - the absinthe goes down faster than you realize how drunk you are...
You say you passed out on the floor - was it kind of a spontaneous falling asleep? No signs of being tired before but suddenly you fall asleep like dead no matter where you are?
The first festival night I was falling asleep while I was sitting around with a bunch of people - I fell backwards to the ground (the chair wasn't very high) but didn't wake up. It was very amusing for everyone watching, I was told...

By Tavarua on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 08:31 am: Edit

Shots of Absinthe are bad, um kay.

Several months back, following a lengthy night drankin at the local bar, I invited several people back to my pad. We drank shot after shot of NS, only because weíre already housed. Makes sense right. Anyway, the out come is as follows. I was to drunk to realize I was being offered sex with a girl that I had been working on for weeks, I swapped fists with one of my best friends, and ultimately passed out on the floor. I havenít done shots of Absinthe or any other liqueur for that matter since. Anyway, the moral of this story is never get so fucked up, that you unintentionally pass up sex;-)

However, I do usually drink it neat with plenty of ice, maybe once in a while throw in a 1:1 of water. I tend to agree with Morrigan, I donít like any watered down affect.

By Timk on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 07:51 am: Edit

Lol, Petermarc, Thanks for the info

Tim

By Petermarc on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 07:26 am: Edit

ok, tim, it was me...it seems that drinking absinthe straight was not so uncommom, according to information from author benoît noël, especially with high-quality brands...he will try to clear this up a little more at pontarlier, where we are supposed to meet someone with personal knowledge of this...i just didn't want to give a stamp of approval on 7 shots of la fée being historically correct or even a good idea...more like one after dinner as a digestif...party on!

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Over ice or as a frappe is legit.

Straight up (neat) is a little nutsy.

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 08:06 pm: Edit

The original post ("functionf off"?) reminds me of something that happened at a ball game recently. A couple was sitting near us, drinking Budweiser all through the first game of a double-header. When the second game started, they were kicked out of their seats by the folks whose seats they actually were, so the couple came into our row. The man tried to explain what had happened to him as he came down our row, but was slurring and not making eye contact. After he passed, I commented to my buddy Dave that the guy was a "drunk fuck." Dave turned to me, incredulous, as he had never noticed this couple during the first game: "That guy was drunk? I thought he was developmentally disabled."

No joke.

So that is a new classification of drunkenness: developmentally disabled. That sounds about where Kayman is.

BC

By Morriganlefey on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 07:59 pm: Edit

I actually do drink mine (fairly) straight, over a lot of ice, which I let melt as I sip. Or if I'm not feeling so manly (hee), I do a 1:1 at most water ratio. I just find the 3:1 traditional water ratio to be too weak.

- M

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Head:

And don't forget our house special: it's called the "Trickie Dickie Suicide."

It's one part Jack Daniels, two parts purple Kool Aid, and a jigger of formaldehyde from Charlie Hitler's brain we got in the back store room.

BC

By Melinelly on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 06:35 pm: Edit

a few friends and i went through two bottles one night on a tahoe weekend recently. a couple guys preferred it straight after a few glasses. one with crushed ice and drank it slowly as the ice melted. no shots though if that's what the original intent of the question was.

By _Blackjack on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 06:28 pm: Edit

I like N.S. straight, but usually after I've already had a few with water and I'm less sensative to the taste of the alcohol.

By Timk on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Who was it that stated many people than were previously thaught drank absinthe straight?
One of the french members with reference to glasses I believe, anyone?

By Zack on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Hmm, La Fee straight... Maybe it keeps the nastiness from sweating out?

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 05:17 pm: Edit

In the 19th century that was grandstanding foolishness.

In the 21st century it is just adolescent stupidity.

Hey Head, pass the formalin.

By Petermarc on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 05:14 pm: Edit

goodnight, gracie...

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Not me, I take mine with a jigger of formaldehyde.

Tell me about it stranger. Light up the dock, does it?

By Kayman18 on Sunday, August 26, 2001 - 03:12 pm: Edit

im functionf off 7 ounces of la fee as we speak

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation