Ever heard of Felix Pernod?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Ever heard of Felix Pernod?
By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:30 pm: Edit

I thought that Edouard Pernod had been obliged along with the other real Pernods to merge back into Pernod Fils, by a ruling of the French courts?

So how could it be that the E.Pernod company could have been acquired, unless it was sold by Pernod Fils, while they retained the associated trademarks -- which is to say they sold a pig in a poke?

By Oxygenee on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 10:51 am: Edit

Actually Felix Pernod was not a "real" Pernod, but rather a name chosen for marketing purposes. The firm of Abel Bresson, based at Fougerolles was, by 1915, one of the larger distillers, producing 80 000 hectolitres of absinthe and 150 000 hectolitres of other spirits. In 1912 they bought the firm of Edouard Pernod, specifically with the intention of capitalizing on the Pernod brand name. After the ban on absinthe shortly afterwards, they focussed primarily on vermouths and quinine drinks, but in the early 1930's they announced their intention of launching a new Anis, under the Edouard Pernod brand. The successors of the Pontarlier Pernod Fils company then sued them, successfully, for trademark infringement. To get around this setback, Bresson launched its new Anis in 1935 under the name "Felix Pernod".

Of interest to collectors other than this poster, are fountains with the Felix Pernod logo, and most interestingly, small spinning tops in the shape of a pointing hand (called "toupie de bar"). These were used to indicate who at the table would pay for the next round...

By Chrysippvs on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 09:31 am: Edit

Just another of the many Pernods. However this may be a real one, several Pernods were really named that..J. Pernod for instance. The green fairy image lingered long afer the ban...absinthe was a big seller and anything to make people nostalgic for the pre-war days probably didn't hurt their advertisements.

By Heiko on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 08:26 am: Edit

Sorry, I should have searched the archives first - nevertheless I find it interesting that they were advertising the pastis with a green fairy (almost like an Absente ad...)

By Heiko on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 07:54 am: Edit

I just found this poster on Ebay. I never heard of Félix Pernod or "Feli 45" Pastis. Isn't it interesting that this ad refers very much to la fée verte?
Felis 45

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation