"...a thread debating the future outcomes of such dogfights..."

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: "...a thread debating the future outcomes of such dogfights..."
By Chevalier on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 12:07 pm: Edit

And his name is ... Manneken Pis.

By Bjacques on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 11:34 am: Edit

They dress that damned kid up in different national costumes and tourists mob the fountain to take pictures. I think he's the patron (!) saint of all the people who visit Brussels for Beer Weekend, which is early September. Interbrew and the independents set up tents in the old town square. There are lots of hotels within staggering distance.

By Tavarua on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 11:25 am: Edit

Bud A Bump Bump

By Chevalier on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 11:21 am: Edit

Hey, the kid may be poor but he's not PISS-POOR.

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 11:13 am: Edit

That's because the poor bastard probably only gets 100 Belgian Francs per hour and because he's legally too young to be working anyway he's hardly going to grass up his employer for paying him a fraction of the minimum wage. If he was able to grow up he'd probably be earning a decent wage.

Hobgoblin

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 06:45 pm: Edit

This Belgian's been a kid for 400 years, and he's still employed.
It must be the water in Brussels ... my picture

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Old people rule.
They have the best stories.

They often tell them several times. I guess so they won't forget. Marriane used to tell me the story about how she took a full dinner plate of food and smashed it over her husbands head at the dinner table and how silly he looked with blood and gravy dripping down over his face. Then there was the time she got into soooo much trouble for falling into the pickle brine barrel...

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 04:01 pm: Edit

Blackjack,

We too have an increasingly 'grey' population but corporations have objected to introducing such legislation and our governments have bowed to their masters. However such legislation is on the cards, partly due to the European Union and also the fact that we no longer have a Conservative government.

Hobgoblin

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Quote:

younger people are cheaper, simple as that...

Are you insane? Have you seen the prices of twelve-year-old boys these days!?

Er, sorry...sometimes I channel Bill Burroughs...

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 03:55 pm: Edit

I thnk it's interesting that there isn't any age protection in the UK. Over here, senior citizens are a more powerful lobby than even the National Rifle Association, and they are only going to be moreso as the Baby Boomers continue to age.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Tav,

And some day you'll be 80 (with luck) and then some day you'll be dead and it'll all happen in the blink of an eye. The age difference between 20 and forty seems a lot greater when you're 20 than when you're forty (or 37 in my case). Anyway I don't feel any different than I did when I was 20, even my outlook on life is very similar as are my interests so why is age important?

Age is no big deal anyway. Why do people spent their lives worrying about appearing young, acting young, having operations in false attempts to 'cheat' the ageing process, dressing young etc. etc..

Isn't it all a load of shit? Because you are what you are and very soon you'll be a corpse anyway. People should just accept the reality and enjoy it. If people try to be something they're not they can never enjoy what they are. They just end up hating themselves.

Hobgoblin

By Tavarua on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 01:37 pm: Edit

Lord,

On a similar note, we have protection on everything here except sexuality.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 01:35 pm: Edit

The posting below was relating to your previous posting and not the most recent.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Lord,

I know that someday I will be forty and was not berating those that are.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 12:57 pm: Edit

"The U.S. has the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Appendum to the Act of 63, which is geared toward protecting people over the age of forty, and in theory, is enforceable."

In the UK we don't even have any such legislation. You have protection for discrimination on grounds of sex, sexuality, race or religion. But if you're discriminated against on grounds of age, you can just fuck off.

Hobgoblin

By Tavarua on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 12:50 pm: Edit

That is the main reason. Cost, young people are considerably cheaper. Also, young people are not nearing retirement, hence, there is no worry of pension plans. As a side note, interestingly enough, employers put a lot of emphasis in eye-sight and coordination, regardless whether it is a production or service driven environment. I have always found this a little bizarre. The U.S. has the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Appendum to the Act of 63, which is geared toward protecting people over the age of forty, and in theory, is enforceable.

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 12:34 pm: Edit

On another note I've now elected to recieve posts by e-mail for the threads I've posted to.

I've done this so as not to be prevented in future from reading what others have been able to read (not exactly what this function is supposed to be for).

Also if people want their posts to be private and not for eveyone's eyes then they shouldn't post on an open internet bulletin board where the whole world can see. It's more public here than advertising in lights on Picadilly Circus or Time Square.

Hobgoblin

By Petermarc on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 12:28 pm: Edit

younger people are cheaper, simple as that...

By Lordhobgoblin on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Heiko,

"But usually top managers are at least in their 40's or 50's."

Yes and everyone else over 40 and not on the main board of directors is on the scrap-heap. Tavarua, you too will be over 40 and it will happen a lot sooner than you think. What about the 40 years of life after age 40.

What is this problem that today's employers have with age? Do they think that the brain stops working past 35 or 40? Perhaps younger people are more gullible and easier to manipulate? Perhaps less likely to spot senior management with their hands in the till?

Hobgoblin

By Barabbas on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 11:30 am: Edit

You think I'm another 'forumite' under an alternate name? Maybe if u had a life u wouldn't have so much time to come up with this bullshit?

By Chevalier on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 11:03 am: Edit

Salute the (somewhat) young:

Alexander the Great
Jesus Christ
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
and ....

By Tavarua on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 10:54 am: Edit

There really is no age for an ideal manager. Yes, age does play a serious role in wisdom, but youth plays a serious role in providing fresh ideas. Young people are also willing to take a lot more risk, and risk is how organizations achieve greatness.

By Verawench on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 10:41 am: Edit

Gotta love that one eyebrow thing.

eyebrowbaby

By Heiko on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 07:33 am: Edit

...Freddie Mercury gone sik dar lan (for those of you not living in German cities: this is Turkish and means something like "asshole")

By Heiko on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 07:28 am: Edit

Bob,

that was what I thought - I hope it is a joke. It MUST be a joke...

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 06:53 am: Edit

Should I give a shit?

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 06:42 am: Edit

Please tell me that Supergreg's (aka Barabbas) homepage is a joke. Otherwise, forumites, we have one of the Village People in our midst!
Either that, or Freddie Mercury is still alive.

BC

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 06:21 am: Edit

Didn't you end up nailed to a cross? And isn't 18 too young to drink anyway?

In short, fuck you, self named for a thief.

By Heiko on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 06:02 am: Edit

What is this? The troll fever?

By Barabbas on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 05:22 am: Edit

Hip troll starbucks forumite..... maybe that means something.

By Barabbas on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 05:10 am: Edit

Don Walsh, don't be so patronising. And don't try to make yourself look smart and write in french, u just fuck it up and look even more stupid.

By Aion on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 04:54 am: Edit

"28 year old model-type who is the CEO "
plus having a very expensive car.

maybe that´s why lots of new economy ventures
fail.
Only mirage with no background.
A.

By Heiko on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 04:26 am: Edit

On the other hand - look at Steve Balmer: he's definitely older but behaves like a 16 year old on speed ;-)

By Heiko on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 04:00 am: Edit

Maybe nobody laughed because they didn't get the joke - I guess a headhunter might be a rather cynical person :-)

Science shouldn't bother finding the gene for longer life - they should rather find a gene for being faster so that everybody could finish university at 15...

But usually top managers are at least in their 40's or 50's. I would find it rather awkward to be confronted with a 28 year old model-type who is the CEO of a big company. I'd think something must be wrong with that company...

By Aion on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 03:32 am: Edit

Don,
saw an interview with a personnell headhunter on a tv business show only few days ago.
He was asked, what the main requirements on a manager in todays industie are.
His answer:
Not older than 30 years, but a minimum of
20 years experience in the job.
Thought that was a joke, but nobody laughed, this statement was meant serious!
Sad, really sad.
A.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 02:42 am: Edit

Aion, welcome to the club.

But the old & sneaky will ALWAYS triumph over the young & stupid.

Further, see Chevalier's motto, which translates as:

"We happily feast on those who would conquer us."

Slurp. Yum yum.

By Aion on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 02:21 am: Edit

Marc,
it is nothing new for me to be called OLD and
I am 33.
A.

By Marc on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 02:03 am: Edit

Don,

I agree. Its over.

But, I must ask the forumites one thing:
since when did being 50 mean you were unhip?
Man, most my heroes were older dudes and dudettes.

Older but never irrelevant:
Patti Smith, Hunter Thompson, Iggy Pop,
Martin Scorsese, Ram Dass, Chrissie Hynde,
Godard, Jack Nicholson, Neil Young, Little Richard, George Carlin, James Ellroy, David Lynch, Etta James...

They're dead now, but when they were alive they were hip to the end:
Allen Ginsberg, William Burroughs, Kubrick,
Big Joe Turner, Muddy Waters, Dashiel Hammett,
Antonin Artaud, Picasso, henry Miller...

the lists are endless.

Getting old is a trend that never goes out of style.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 01:43 am: Edit

Friends, the less we post publicly about him the better, let's take this private and keep counsel among ourselves. Attention is what he wants. Deny it to him. Please!

By Marc on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 01:13 am: Edit

the creep pretty much showed his true colors in his most recent rant. He's a racist homophobe who
thinks that being 50 years old is a crime. And he clearly knows nothing of absinthe. The idiot also thinks that Don WALSH
is Asian.

By Admin on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 01:12 am: Edit

BTW ... I have confirmed that this was the same troll who posted in May 2000 that we had a problem with when I switched the board to registered users only.

We've been rather lucky so far, I think.

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 12:44 am: Edit

I guess the "drunken idiot in your living room" analogy was a little off. It's more like a drunken idiot down the street. I might peek out the curtains and see WTF the commotion is about, but I ain't opening my door to yell at him. Tho' I will comment to the neighbors: who was that idiot last night?

FWIW, whisking the idiot off in a cop car--like what happened over the weekend--oddly created way more hype than he deserved.

Then again, this particular thread refers to dogfights. Maybe the analogy at play is a dog shitting on my lawn. In that case, I do yell at the dog and spray him with the hose, if need be. Then I need to find the shit and remove it ASAP, so I don't step in it later or run it over with the mower.

Longwindedly figurative,
BC

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Great stuff!

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 06:25 pm: Edit

There was a lovely bit on the season finale of Buffy. (shut up! It's a brilliant show!) It was an exchange between Spike, the bad-ass punk-rock British vampire, and Giles, the straight-laced British mentor. Basically, they were all about to go off into battle alongside Buffy, and she has made it clear that they are all going to die.

SPIKE
Not exactly the St. Crispian's Day speech.

GILES
(exiting with broadsword)
We few, we happy few...

SPIKE
(following)
We band of buggered.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Yes, Head was part of the Thin Green Line.

Now what was that bit about 'we band of brothers' and St Crispens Day? We may have to modify this a bit to accomodate Vera.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 05:56 pm: Edit

One may have figured that out sooner had one read the list of thanks that Don passed along...

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 05:54 pm: Edit

That goes along with posting under my own name rather than an anonymous handle (without meaning to cast any aspersions on those who elect to do otherwise).

By Chevalier on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Ah, so YOU'RE the one!!!

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Hey Chevalier, if you want to be current and "in the know" never leave your computer and don't ever, EVER talk down to me or anyone else on this Forum AGAIN!!!

By Chevalier on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 05:50 pm: Edit

I know, Don. You take responsibility for your words.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 05:46 pm: Edit

By the way, I don't know who asked Heiko to not distribute their posts from the erased thread, but I know this: it wasn't me. Je ne regrete rien.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 05:42 pm: Edit

What bases and/or units in the US military write their own regulations about liquor? I don't think so. This sort of thing is imposed by upper echelons and there must be justification for such action. Perhaps it is some moldy old reg from pre-WWI.

By Zman7 on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 04:57 pm: Edit

About a year ago when I first got into absinthe, a friend of mine was also interested in it. He was (and is)in the Airforce Reserve. He was worried about the legal status if consuming it and if it was illegal for him to do so. I spent quite a bit of time scouring the various military web sites and I found that the Army, Navy, and Airforce all have little regulations prohibiting their personnel from partaking in the green fairy. I don't know if it is punishable under the UCMJ, but it would probably fall under individual base/unit type regulations. He also stated that he wasn't aware of any UA type test for those who choose to partake of absinthe, or of anyone being punished for it.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Thank you, Heiko. It was nice of you to take the time and effort.

Best regards,
Marc

As for several of the forumites who didn't want Hobgoblin and me to see their messages from the Staticburst threads ... rest assured that Heiko respected your wishes. We didn't receive them.

A suggestion for the future: If you don't want your words (which you yourselves post, publicly and voluntarily) to be read by two other forumites three days later ... think ahead and don't post them in the first place.

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Heiko,

Thanks for the e-mail.

Hobgoblin

By Admin on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Quote:

It makes me wonder what kind of mail Kallisti gets...

Heh. That's why I put up the forum, which was originally a guestbook type deal. Because I did, and still do, get TONS of silly mail.

It clogs up my already sketchy email habits. But the forum has freed up my time immensly.

And Ted was, umm, about the third (I'll have to check) person to post to it when it went up in 97.

I still have the first 75 msgs and many, many original posts once it went to msg board format on my hard drive. It's very amusing to go back and read people's first posts, the ones that have stuck around especially.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 02:39 pm: Edit

The Uniform Code of Military Justice would have to prohibit drinking absinthe in order for such testing, even if technically feasible, to be supported. As absinthe is not and never has been legally regarded as a 'drug' this seems unlikely.

But on the off chance that some silly-ass reg got written c.WWI -- when the French military, our allies, were concerned about absinthe, which concern was part of the ban -- a close look at the UCMJ ought to be in order.

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 02:24 pm: Edit

Well, here's the link:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/absinthe-heads.html

It makes me wonder what kind of mail Kallisti gets...

I am particularly amused by this, from a soldier/bartender:

Quote:

Also, as a side note, US military personnel stationed overseas are prohibited from drinking absinthe - it is traceable by drug testing.

The technical issues alone make this very unlikely. I assume they would be testing for thujone, and since I don't think you can immunoassay urine for thujone metabolites, they would have to be doing a GCMS on everybody's urine, which would be absurdly expensive. Add to that the false positives that would inevitably result from having Stove-Top Stuffing instead of potatoes...

More to the point, WHY would the Army test for absinthe? Obviously thy don't test for every possible drug; it would take too much urine. They just test for the commonly abused drugs that show up easily in tests. Absinthe is hardly a major problem. I suspect the policy is to just tell the soldiers that they test for _everything_, and hope none of them are smart enough to know better and stick to the drugs they don't test for.

By Tavarua on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Itís not all moronic, at least the section I read. There was actually some intelligent thought in some of the e-mails.

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 01:15 pm: Edit

I am never surprised by any display of stupidity, especially on the Internet. Nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the average American...

By Tavarua on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 12:02 pm: Edit

I actually looked at this page sometime ago, I believe it was when I was looking into trying Absinthe for the first time. Anyway, as I was looking over it again, I notice Ted has a posting in there. Thatís funny as shit, the random things you come across.

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, August 28, 2001 - 11:04 am: Edit

Insyead of a monkey barrell then let's call it a cockroach cave.

Heiko, how many of theses staticburst e-mails do you have? If it's around 100 or less then e-mail them to me. If it's more than that just send me the first 100 e-mails that were posted after his initial long-winded insult.

Many thanks.

Hobgoblin

By Malhomme on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 09:39 pm: Edit

That was almost certainly Chuck Taggart's site GumboPages.com.
Jim

By Heiko on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:43 pm: Edit

When I was first looking for absinthe on the web (around october last year) I found a site about absinthe history. The guy who had put it up had a huge page dedicated to stupid emails he had received (and some of his answers). It was very amusing, most of the mails were so extremely stupid I couldn't believe anybody would write something like that...

By _Blackjack on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:29 pm: Edit

...or a scabie?

By Anatomist1 on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:25 pm: Edit

Why call it a MONKEY bin? I think monkeys are pretty cool, so long as you let them alone, and don't try to stuff them into barrels. Couldn't we name it after a truly despicable pest like a mosquito or a chigger?

K.

By Heiko on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:17 pm: Edit

I thought this to be a joke, but I see some people are really interested in all the emails.
If I manage to send them all at once, I don't mind, but I won't forward them one by one :-)

By Heiko on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:10 pm: Edit

I still have all of those posts in my email folder - so if somebody wants the whole bunch I can send them all ;-)

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 04:38 pm: Edit

We don't want a 'Monkey Bin' we want a 'Monkey Barrel'.

Hobgoblin

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Melinelly, you're all right. Let's get us a monkey bin! (God knows there's been enough monkey/ape/smackdown talk around here lately.)

By Melinelly on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 03:51 pm: Edit

that is of course, if my memory is serving me correctly. another reason i always had a "Monkey Bin" on boards i've mod-ed =)

also, in placing such threads in a monkey bin, they serve not only to alert us to the arseholish nature and potential of certain members of the online community, but to remind us of the level to which we ourselves can stoop and why we should strive not to, eh? nothing like a good ribbing, but sometimes we can get downright malicious whether with good cause or not (usually not), and pain is pain, period.

Hob, wasn't meaning to say you needed your fix =) just needed a good word in general, and from my experience on too many boards to count, it seems that was the word i was looking for. besides, i think i know you better than that, eh? cheers!

By Chevalier on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Hobgoblin: "If anyone has this single post then I'd be grateful if they could e-mail it to me."

I'd be grateful to receive that e-mail too, Hob.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 03:18 pm: Edit

"...i would be interested to see such a thread started. one of my suggestions to Kallisti was to create a new sub-forum into which she could dump all nasty threads so a.) they wouldn't clutter the forum, b.) so the arseholes remain in the open, and c.) so those who did have some interest in what happened could get their fix..."

Great idea Melinelly.

At least I'd be able to read what others say is nasty shit and then make up my own mind about it. I don't really like the implied suggestion that those of us who haven't read the posts in question really ought to take other people's word that they're not worth reading anyway. I know no offence is intended but I find this quite patronising.

"...I don't recall Josh taking further personal swings at anyone near the pinnacle of his demise (including you). There may have been one single post at which he tried to address various defenders..."

If anyone has this single post then I'd be grateful if they could e-mail it to me. Even if he mentioned me very slightly in his posts I don't like the idea that others were able to read this and I can't. Melinelly, it's nothing to do with 'getting a fix' from the agro.

Hobgoblin

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation