Artemisia asiatica

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Artemisia asiatica
By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Perhaps a variant of A.japonica (Japanese wormwood) or A.annua (Chinese wormwood), but Nakai is a Japanese name (placename or family name) not Korean.

By Melinelly on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:05 pm: Edit

ok. googled "artemisia nakai" and came up with

"Artemisia rubripes Nakai" and
"Artemisia montana Nakai"
(along with said Artemisia asiatica Nakai)

some with "Nakai" in parenthesis

By Melinelly on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 06:02 pm: Edit

dunno if it helps, but every link i just googled lists it as:

"Artemisia asiatica Nakai..."

the asiatica being lower case i'm assuming means it's an alias for some Artemisia variety... and dunno if Nakai is the actual name or perhaps the name of a scientist working with the plant whom everyone happens to quote... anyhoo, hope it helps.

By Frater_Carfax on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Not familiar with it either...most of the references I have found through Google link to various Korean websites...a specific regional variety perhaps?

By Don_Walsh on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 05:22 pm: Edit

I'm not familiar with this species. It does not appear in the Artemisia lists I have, which often give multiple taxonomical names.

By Frater_Carfax on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Away for a week snowboarding and I seem to have missed a lot on the forum ...time moves differently here.....

Anyway, not absinthe, but wormwood related...scientific interest only.....

HERBAL HEARTBURN TREATMENT

KOREA: According to the results of experiments performed in rats, treating or preventing reflux oesophagitis may be even more effective using an antioxidant extract of the wormwood herb Artemisia asiatica than traditional antacids. Reporting in the September issue of Gut, the researchers claim that the antioxidant treatment, as opposed to the traditional drug therapy, decreased the severity of reflux disease and was more protective against ulceration and inflammation of the oesophagus.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation