Just had some Portugese Absenta

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Just had some Portugese Absenta
By Heiko on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 03:12 am: Edit

Well, compared to Neto Costa the MM 70 was like heavenly fluid.

I won't buy it - it's just too expensive for its quality. Then I'd rather have a bottle of Segarra (even more expensive but a lot better!)

By Petermarc on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 02:35 am: Edit

star anis...badiane=bad

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 09:47 pm: Edit

So basically, you're saying that black jellybean juice is better than sheep dip. Hmmm...curious.

By Absinthesque on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 05:34 pm: Edit

The weird thing for me with Mari Mayans, which is no longer anywhere near the top of my list, is that it had quite potent secondary effects. . .leaving me feeling quite wired the following day, hungover but wired. This is not something I've felt with other brands, nor was it entirely pleasant. For a while I suspected it was the high alcohol content, but I've tried other 70% varieties without the same experience. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. . .an allergic reaction of some sort perhaps?

Mark

By Petermarc on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 03:29 pm: Edit

'my evil plan is working...ahhhahhhahha!'--julian segarra, evil genius
the man

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 11:46 am: Edit

Bob,

You're just a Segarra snob aren't you?

Hobgoblin
(Actually I've grown to quite like Segarra nowadays)

By Heiko on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 06:36 am: Edit

Maybe it was only good compared to Neto Costa - I'm not really sure.
MM 70 is better than its 55% brother (the 70% is a little "softer", contains less star anise I think).

For me, MM 70%, Deva (both varieties), NS and Serpis are in the same category: good, but not excellent. They all have flaws, but these are negligable if nothing else is available (or if the price for others is out of range...)

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Your liking MM puts you in a definite minority.

By Heiko on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 07:17 pm: Edit

...namely Neto Costa and Mary Mayans 70%.

I must say even the MM 70% isn't that complex, it's a quite refreshing, good drink. I think I like it a little better than NS. I have to taste both Deva varieties again to be sure, maybe.

I am absolutely sure that Neto Costa is, well, shit... You can drink it, but that's it. I don't know why I would spend money on it...

The fun thing is - the guy who bought both bottles in Portugal worried that his MM was "so expensive". He paid 15 Euro for it and only 7 Euro for the Neto Costa ;-)

Two comments by two totally absinthe-ignorant girls who tried both brands as well:

"The Neto Costa tastes like medicine, doesn't it?"
"The MM tastes like fluid black jellybeans, but it's good."

There we go - no need for experts, the amateurs get to the point! ;-)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation