First dunce cap

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: First dunce cap
By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I was born with a remote control in my hand. You know the old kind, looked like a miniature 50's Buick, with one big steel button, that made a loud metal "KAKLING!!!" and then that half a second "KACHUNK!!!" response as the TV dial turned itself. I still don't understand how that worked.

By Heiko on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 07:52 pm: Edit

I grew up with 3 TV channels - you had the choice between Colt Sievers and Bonanza (at that time it still took about 20 years for TV shows to cross the pacific, I guess...
In addition to that my parents were kind of anti-TV, the first 12 years of my life I watched about as much TV as most kids today watch in one week...

That probably led to the severe media-addiction I suffer today ;-)

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 09:59 am: Edit

"I grew up on black and white Russian cartoons and televised political proceedings of the People's Communist Party. And you can't take that away from me. "

HA! I grew up listening to Mr. Spock speak Spanish...

By Mr_Rabbit on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Now thats a game show!

Tonight on Rolling Pin Roundup, we have a convicted serial killer, Ron.

Ron will be hunted by Ludmilla, Proshka, and Catherine, who will be armed with the usual titanium rolling pins and frying pans.

In a slight twist to tonight's show, when they've caught up with Ron, the ladies will choose a lucky audience member to administer the coup de grace.

By Chevalier on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Those barbarous babushkas!

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 12:58 pm: Edit

I hope for his sake it was the police that caught him and not a vigilant mob of Russian octogenarians wielding rolling pins.

By Spm on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 10:18 am: Edit

I think they caught the ukranian killer.

Thanks
Shawn

By Pataphysician on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 09:30 am: Edit

Damn bleeding-heart Commie.

By Melinelly on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 08:32 am: Edit

oh god, that just reminded me...

there's been this ukranian killer on the loose here in california... in both senses of the word: he's ukranian and has a thing for killing other ukranians... and they were interviewing people in my old neighborhood in san francisco (richmond district) where he was seen recently... and there was this one old russian lady who was totally stereotypically hi-frickin-larious... she said:

"you don't put heem in jail and spend tax money feeding heem and clothing heem... you find heem and you KEEL HEEM, LIKE WE DID BACK HOME IN RUSSIA!"

and when she got to the find-him-kill-him part, her expression was priceless... screaming and all contorted like a mask of anger... i could NOT stop laughing all night long because of how stereotypical it was, and more over i couldn't believe they had just shown this on the nightly news...

By Bjacques on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 07:47 am: Edit

Hey Vera, did you ever see "Worker and Parasite?" It was the (notional) eastern bloc answer to Itchy & Scratchy. A friend lives in Hamburg, and sees a lot of old E. German TV shows late at night. I'm pestering him for tapes.

The best stuff comes when state TV bosses try to imitate western shows about a decade late.

"East Side Story" is a 1990s documentary about such movies, from 1930s Soviet Union tractor operas to Romanian beach party movies in the 1970s.

I suppose if 1989 (1991 for Russia) hadn't happened, they'd be showing "Jerzy Springer" and "Dumbest State Criminals."

A friend and I go east to get our fix of remnants of official culture. Get it while it lasts...

HECH HOCH!

(still looking for "Let's Go Girls!" -- a late 1970s game show in which Soviet housewives competed in housecleaning tasks).

By Timk on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 06:23 am: Edit

"Timk, being the only forumite to AGREE with the unmentionable individual in the vanished, first thread"

Don, first off, Fuck you, secondly, I may have agreed with small parts of what he said, but most of it was drivel. The bit that got me was the poorly worded insults in the last of his posts. I will never retract my opinions, but at least I can word them somewhat more effectively than this plane rude imbecile - Take your pick.

Don, please, tell me with which parts of his post i agree

By Don_Walsh on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 12:56 am: Edit

Iron spikes would be ok with me in the instance of timk...

By _Blackjack on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Quote:

The Forum's Dunce Cap (it has been capitalized now) cannot be granted (or glued) permanently.

Have you tried staples?

By Verawench on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Sentiment is the louche of our existence...

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 09:26 pm: Edit

The sweet nectar of youth is lapped up by the hounds of lost memory...

By Verawench on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Head, what's with you and the need to traumatize happy childhood memories?

For everyone else, anyway. I grew up on black and white Russian cartoons and televised political proceedings of the People's Communist Party. And you can't take that away from me.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 09:05 pm: Edit

"Please won't you be my neighbor... Hi Neighbor!"

Baby Want's To FUCK!!!
Bye Neighbor.

By Verawench on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Boys, boys, settle down, there's enough stupid for everybody.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 08:14 pm: Edit

No, no, NO, Don! The Forum's Dunce Cap (it has been capitalized now) cannot be granted (or glued) permanently.

Head is going to surrender it peacefully and nobody will get hurt.

Right, Head?

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Timk, being the only forumite to AGREE with the unmentionable individual in the vanished, first thread, ought to have that duncecap superglued on permanently. Obviously, he is now merely trying to revise history by admonishing the banished sleeper-under-bridges. Too late, timk, and somewhat barefaced, I'd say.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 05:49 pm: Edit

I was Grandfathered in.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Damn it, Head, I said the law was NOT retroactive. Give back your cap, NOW!

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 05:37 pm: Edit

I wear mine proudly, I won't be giving it up anytime soon either...

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Congratulations, TimK, you've earned it!

Now you have to wear it for a week.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation