New Serpis

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: New Serpis
By Wolfgang on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 03:48 pm: Edit

I just finished my last glass of regular Serpis. I finaly found out it`s not that bad if you use a full sugar cube (with 1.5 oz of Serpis). I will probably try the new one, eventualy.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Thai food. I also know of a strange restaurant near Montreal where a weird cook from l'Ile Maurice makes some spicy dishes that will be just perfect with Absinthe. Unfortunatly the place looks like shit and that`s why a forgot about it when Ted came to Montréal but next time, I will try to make a deal with this strange fellow (the cook, not Ted) to do the tasting with him in his restorant.

If you can read french, I made a review of his place on my web site that will give you an idea of what kind or weird cook I`m talking about ;-)

Les Délices de l'île Maurice

By Riku964 on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

I despise olives with a passion. I recall being blind drunk in Houghton Lake, MI, (a bad combination to begin with) visiting an evil whore of a Big Boy waitress who insisted on making me eat nothing but pizza covered in black and green olives. Olives are vile! When I discovered she ate olives I should have run, but no...idiot that I am, I allowed lust to override my keenly honed sense of self preservation and I just kept debauching the *&@%&^$@ waitress and choking down the olive laden pizza. It went on for days.
Years later, we hooked up again and there was even more unpleasantness, which even included a brief period of being a vegetarian. Never trust an olive eatin' vegetarian!

Olive oil, on the other hand, is truely lovely stuff. Mmmm, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil and olive oil with some nice bread...heavenly!

To get on the topic of Absinthe, what foods go well with it?

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Arty, you slay me!

By Artemis on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Yes. He invented the peanut. That's what we Americans are taught in grammar school during those sessions where everybody is herded into an auditorium and forced to watch a black and white movie from the 1950s about great Americans. You can make 60% of what the modern world needs from the peanut (goober pea) plant.

Also, duck and cover when the atom bomb flash goes off. And don't mess with loose women, you might get a social disease.

By Heiko on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 05:19 pm: Edit

"who invented the peanut"

Invented?

By Artemis on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 05:15 pm: Edit

We Acadians use peanut oil to fry everything from catfish to whole turkeys to armadillos.

It gets very hot without smoking and leaves virtually no taste on the food.

I have heard that some people use it for more nefarious purposes, involving wormwood and other evil plants. The oil does not touch the consumable at all in such cases.

All praise to George Washington Carver, a member of the "black community", who invented the peanut. Where would America be without him?

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Just so long as you have tried it otherwise I'd have to fly over there and force it down your throat in order to be personally satisfied that in fact you "do not" like olive oil.

There's plenty of oils in the world to eaten, why drool and foam over just one. TEXACO makes a really fine 10W-30 that browns a french fry perfectly on the first basket.

By Heiko on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 01:13 pm: Edit

"Olive oil doesn't taste the same as an olive soaked in brine, brother"

Not exactly - that's why I can (not 'like to') eat something made with olive oil. Some part of the taste goes into the olive oil as well and makes it -for me- the least desirable oil to use in food...

By Timk on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 10:40 am: Edit

I Also detest olives soaked in brine (unless they are found at the bottom of a martini glass), but I love good olive oil, mmmmm

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Olive oil doesn't taste the same as an olive soaked in brine, brother.

By Heiko on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Olives and olive oil are soooo healthy (at least scientists say so). Unfortunately I hate olives - there's nothing edible I detest more than olives.

Not that it is important - I just thought I share this with you (and maybe I hope to find someone else who hates the taste of olives...)

By Petermarc on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 03:51 pm: Edit

buy new serpis, keep an olive tree in spain...the french have been buying old(i.e. 500+years) olive trees in spain and have them shipped back to france to decorate their gardens...a retired cab-driver in normandy(!) has two with a view of la manche (that's the english channel in french)...sad...maybe this can help keep the trees in their homeland...but if you want the best olive oil, go to the greek(athena had it goin' on) deli and buy kalimata...better than french, spanish, italian, californian, whatever, usually cheaper, and no thujone limit, what-so-ever...

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Bob,

I for one won't be paying $15 for shipping, my heart bleeds for you.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 01:44 pm: Edit

In Southern Europe food and drink are one and the same, there is no distinction. It's only in Northern Europe that a distinction between the two is made. To a Spaniard a bottle of fine olive oil sold with a bottle of fine liquer is not odd, if someone appreciates fine food he appreciates fine food.

By Bob_Chong on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Righto--but who's gonna pay $15 in shipping alone for olive oil? Seems a bit ludicrous.

BC

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 12:46 pm: Edit

"I do love a good olive oil, but maybe I don't understand the significance it has to Iberians."

It's not just Iberians, it's a Mediterranean thing.

When Athens was founded, there was a great competition among the Gods to see who was going to be its patron.

Poseidon gave them the horse (and we know the importance of the horse in Greek history) but Athena gave them the olive, and she got the job!

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

SLERPIS COMA HERE I COME

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 12:42 pm: Edit

OH JOY!

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Beats me. I do love a good olive oil, but maybe I don't understand the significance it has to Iberians.

Usually I only get things shipped that I can't find locally.

By Verawench on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Just saw the email. Still don't get the whole olive oil thing.. Is it a kind of camouflage?

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 12:14 pm: Edit

For anyone who hasn't ordered from SC:

"SERPIS has launched a new absinthe, Serpis in 65% (see http://www.spiritscorner.com/scriptsing/buscar.asp?K=Detalle&IdProducto=3239).
This tiem the producer has taken old bottles of the absinthe they used to make in the 60s (at that Spain did not have a thujone limit) and tried to
imitate the taste. And the result is, in my opinion, excellent. I believe it is one of the most sofisticated absinthes available.

And in order to celebrate it, we have developed two promotion sets:

One set consisting of one bottle of Serpis + 3 absinthe glasses + 3 spoons, with a price promotion of 15%, so that you can taste this absinthe with friends.

The other set consits of one bottle of Serpis in 65% plus one of the most appreciated olive oils that we have in our programme. Don´t miss the 10%
reduction and the chance of tasting these superb products."

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation