"To any potential newbies lurking out there, come and join us and ask whatever the hell you like"

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: "To any potential newbies lurking out there, come and join us and ask whatever the hell you like"
By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Lord H. is right -- the one recorded instance of this (so far) involved a young fool attempting to drink a yard of Mari Mayans. Consider too that many people will regard a commercially available product as being "safe" somehow, even when it's used in a patently unsafe manner. Cheap vodka has probably killed more people than absinthe ever will.

By Zman7 on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 06:20 pm: Edit

I have a somewhat technical question regarding hausegemacht things. Perhaps someone with an experienced background can answer? If a measurement is taken with a Proof/Tralle hydrometer for ethanol content of absinthe, will the suspended oils cause a misreading? And if so how much of a misreading?

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 01:13 pm: Edit

Do you not think it's more likely that someone tries to drink a yard of Deva or some other commercially produced absinthe rather than trying to drink a yard of wormwood oil concoction?

At least the former is palatable, unlike the latter. I once made some Everclear steep and it was so bad I couldn't finish 1 glass let alone a yard. A yard of commercially produced absinthe would also probably result in death (or hospitalisation at least).

By Don_Walsh on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 11:18 am: Edit

Once we vet the adding of wormwood oil (0.4 ml) to a bottle of Pernod, Ricard, whatever, it is a slippery slope to yet another asshole swallowing 10 mls of the oil, or adding 10 mls to a liter of everclear and calling for the yard glass. None of us needs the aggravation.

BTW the Bangkok english-language papers today carried a BS scare piece of S.divinorum. If it made it this far, you can bet the farm that stuff is gonna be banned soon, and if they can ban it, they can ban anything.

How about that recent Australian Customs notice that called absinthe a 'narcotic' for Christ's sake? Yeah I know, Carfax is working on it...it's a TOTAL misuse of the term, and plays into all the old lies and also the public tendency to confuse absinthe with laudanum.

By Heiko on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 09:40 am: Edit

My point was: modern absinthe that is made from oils isn't that far away from Pernod with wormwood oil. And IMO some drops of wormwood oil in Ricard might taste better than some other stuff that is sold as absinthe...

By Dr_Ordinaire on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 09:26 am: Edit

Don, you are absolutely right about the dissolving of oil of wormwood in Pernod.

I shouldn't have assumed that readers know all the steps. The proper way to do it is to dissolve the oil of wormwood in a little alcohol and then add it to the Pernod.

As far as the bitter principle of wormwood being present in the oil, well, I think that sugary, over-aniseed "absinthes" like La Fee can use a little bitterness.

I completely agree with you, this will NOT be traditional absinthe. Far from it. My point in this whole exercise was that most absinthes sold today are not traditional absinthe either.

Or to put another way: if you're going to drink fake, you might as well drink cheap fake.

By Artemis on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 08:35 am: Edit

"As I understand it, proper absinthe (as opposed to some mascerated homebrew) needs to be distilled AFTER the wormwood is added."

You understand correctly.

"There are many different techniques to making a "proper" absinthe or one that is drinkable at all for that matter."

Sorry, but that's not correct. There's only one "technique" that will work at all, and that's distillation. There are many *recipes*, and those in the end are a matter of taste, but the technique for making all the recipes is the same.

By _Blackjack on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 08:11 am: Edit

Politician: Good Lord, you're not suggesting we should tax... thingy?

First Official: Poo poo's?

Third Official: No.

First Official: Thank God for that. Excuse me for a moment. (leaves)

Third Official: No, no, no - thingy.

Second Official: Number ones?

Third Official: No, thingy.

Politician: Thingy!

Second Official: Ah, thingy. Well it'll certainly make chartered accountancy a much more interesting job.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 03:23 am: Edit

Regarding the asinine addition of absinthium or oil of wormwood to Pernod pastis, you are all missing the point.

-- oil of wormwood contains not only thujone but the very nasty absinthins.

-- thujone is insoluble in water and in alcohol/water mixtures un;ess the alcohol is very predominant.

-- absinthins are very soluble in water and only very slightly soluble in alcohol and alcohol water mixtures where alcohol predominates.

So, Pernod will only extract the horrible absinthins from the herb, and will only dissolve the same from the essential oil, the thujone will not be dissolved. It will be a slick or it will emulsify but it will not dissolve. That 0.4 ml of oil probably contains 160 to 320 mg of thujone and that is FAR more than will dissolve in 40-50% alcohol by volume.

There are very sound reasons for the distillation, and these are not achieved by any other means.

Furthermore, Pernod pastis has about as much resemblance to Pernod absinthe as a horse has to a camel. Absinthe is not pastis plus thujone.

This is old ground, we have been over this turf too many times.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 03:14 am: Edit

If you're in Japan, what about Hermes?

Can it be had and how does it taste?

By Bryan on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 12:03 am: Edit

If they could figure out a way to tax sex, they would, I'm surprised there wasn't a condom tax initiated back in the 80's when aids first hit..

By Geoffk on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Yeah, just about every government everywhere shafts people on alcohol and tobacco. It's kind of amazing that that they don't tax people for sex too. Then they'd have all the Saturday night bases covered...

-- Geoff K.

By Bryan on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Yeah, the governments always have to have their hands in everything. Taxes, that is a sore subject with me right now, I'm at work, Labor day holiday, (graveyard shift) so I'm getting good overtime pay, I just had a conversation with a co-worker and we figured out how much of it good ole' uncle sam is taking, it's barely worth being here!!

By Geoffk on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 11:04 pm: Edit

No, it's probably still illegal. Liquor manufacturing here is heavily regulated and taxed--even more so than in the US. They've been easing it up a bit lately, allowing microbreweries and so forth to start up, but legally distilling liquor would still require a tax stamp and manufacturing license. Look at the following:

---------------------

Liquor tax

A liquor tax is imposed on domestic liquor shipped from manufacturing premises and on imported liquor withdrawn from bonded areas. Beverages that contain 1 percent or more of ethyl alcohol by volume are subject to this tax. Since April 1, 1989 the tax has been based on alcohol content and type of liquor, as noted in Table XXIV.

XXIV—Tax on Liquor

Kind Degree of alcohol Tax rate per kiloliter
contained (%) (Yen)

Sake 15 140,500
Beer - 222,000
Whisky 40 982,300
Spirits 37 367,300

The Liquor Tax Law also governs licenses for manufacturing and/or selling of liquor in Japan.

By Bryan on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Mine could use a remodel anyway! I have excellent homeowners insurance, those pesky pressure cookers!!!

By _Blackjack on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 10:53 pm: Edit

There is still that fear of blowing up your kitchen...

By Bryan on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Is it legal in Japan to distill alcohol? If so that would make you one of the lucky few who can actually take the time to do the experimenting without the fear of prosecution! There are many different techniques to making a "proper" absinthe or one that is drinkable at all for that matter. I am always looking for tips of the trade so to speak. Bryan.

By Geoffk on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 09:12 pm: Edit

As I understand it, proper absinthe (as opposed to some mascerated homebrew) needs to be distilled AFTER the wormwood is added. This removes the overly bitter absentins and makes it drinkable.

Adding wormwood oil to Pernod, steeping Wormwood in Everclear etc., all skip this final distillation, hence are not proper absinthe.

On the other hand, it may be as good as Absinth King...

-- Geoff K.

By Heiko on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 01:17 pm: Edit

"since, as I've said, this would not be real absinthe."

But, as you've also said before - it would be as much absinthe as pretty much anything sold as absinthe today. It contains oil of wormwood, oil of anise and alcohol...

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 12:36 am: Edit

If you dry some Artemesia Absinthium leaves and smoke them you feel like you're floating on air.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 12:07 am: Edit

That's my point, Head. I'm talking about 0.4 mL (that, depending on the dropper, may mean about 10/12 drops per BOTTLE of pastis.)

Some people may detect it. I find that hard to believe.

Mind you, I have never tried that particular trick myself. And certainly I'm not promoting it, since, as I've said, this would not be real absinthe.

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, September 02, 2001 - 12:01 am: Edit

Enough of this hedgeing around the truth business... Ok, I'm the guy that mainlines it, tap tap, swoosh, thump thump thump thump, thujone rush straight through the gate... tongue hanging out, cold sweat, blood on the tiles, cat licking the dew from my palms... days later... waking hungry and shaking... Down to Whole Foods to get another fix.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 11:50 pm: Edit

No, I'm the guy that wouldn't have even thought to try it as the bottle recommended "10 to 20 drops in a little water". After trying only 2 drops (drip drip) in a cup of tea, where after the first taste "dump"ed it down the drain.

Curious as Kitty. Smart as a licorice whip.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Your Headness, you're not the guy who swallowed something like 2 oz of essential oil of wormwood, are you?

I'm talking a small fraction of a fl. oz. And I mean SMALL.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 11:28 pm: Edit

I'll bring my Herbpharm tampered Pernod Pastis over and you'll never invite me back.

However when applied topically will repel mosquitos and most small biting insects.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Head, my learned friend, you may be surprised at how wrong you are.

The tiny amount of essential oil of wormwood would not alter the taste of the pastis. If you start with, say, Pernod 51, you will still end up with Pernod 51.

Of course, it will not be absinthe, but then... the commercial absinthes that I have tried (very few, I admit) are not absinthe either.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 11:17 pm: Edit

I like that technical term "dump". It so perfectly describes the final product in the recipe.

By Verawench on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Doc, there's an anvil falling at a rapid pace from the pale green heavens and it's aiming for your louchey little head.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Oh, what the hell, it's Saturday night, I've partaken of the Green Fairy, and I'm feeling reckless. There it goes:

"If you dump some essential oil of wormwood in Pernod you may end up with something closer to traditional absinthe than most of the stuff in the market today."

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Thanks, Head, but I was just kidding. I don't want to end like the Jarry in my story...

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Doc the floor is yours...

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 02:12 pm: Edit

I have tried Pernod both ways and well... We'll just leave it up to personal preference for you to decide.

GAGGGG HAKKKSPITTTT!!!!

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 02:05 pm: Edit

We have a number of Aussies who order it from SC with no problems, don't we?

My guess is, very few people think wormwood oil and Pernod would be "worth a try".

By Dr_Ordinaire on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Is this where I come in and talk about thujone...?

What's my cue?

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Here nix try it in this space

"I live in Australia and have no chance of getting hold of absinthe without home brewwing
damn!!!!!
I'm wondering if I could judt add wormwood pure essential oil to pernod???
anyone think that mighty be worth a try?????
luvs nix
email me plz
nixy@iprimus.com.au"

I like to help...

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

CHONGER!!!!!!!!!!

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Serpis secondary effects are second to none. BUY SOME NOW!!!!!!

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Serpis secondary effects are second to none. BUY SOME NOW.

By Bob_Chong on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Mmmm! Him card read good!

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 01, 2001 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Me and Lordhobgoblin, we like Serpis!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation