Gum Syrup

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Gum Syrup
By Chevalier on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 04:57 pm: Edit

"... they also make snowmobiles ..."

The last time I mixed a snowmobile with absinthe, my garage was declared a disaster area.

By Petermarc on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 04:01 pm: Edit

a shot from a gifted absintheur, angelica dominant...don't feel like you have to brush your teeth before you slip away...
virgin
first shot of gum...obvious layer
first
add water
first louche
getting there
seperation
final stage before imbibing
final
the product...they also make snowmobiles...
canadoo

By Petermarc on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 03:06 pm: Edit

geoffk,
gum syrup rocks!!! and it's historically correct... thanks for bringing it up...my spoons are getting pissed...will post some photos...

By Frater_Carfax on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Earlier this year when I was in north Vietnam, I would periodically come across sugar cane vendors who would crush fresh cane with a bit of citrus rind in a hand cranked grinder and extract fresh juice......

Nothing like a sugar rush when one is trekking up mountains.

By Thegreenimp on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Marc,
Have you ever chewed Sen-Sen?, It's still unchanged from the late 1800's.......very floral/licorice taste......you can still get it for 79 cent a package.
Jay

By Tavarua on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 06:28 am: Edit

The last time I even saw it was at a Violent Femmes / Farcide / Skaalights show at the University of Penn, six years ago. I must have bought five or six little bundles of it and havenít seen it around since, of course I havenít been looking that hard.

By Timk on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 02:19 am: Edit

Fresh sugar cane, mmmmm

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 10:29 pm: Edit

never saw it...longer than maybe a foot though.

That's what she said.

By Artemis on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 04:34 pm: Edit

I grew up on a sugar cane plantation. Can you say, "White Zombie"? Sugar cane all around as far as the eye could see. The wind in the cane was like the sound of the ocean. One of my fondest memories is of my mother and I seated in a warm sunny spot at the side of the house in autumn, she peeling sugar cane for me to chew ....
And when they set fire to it at harvest time (to burn the leaves off) - COTTON CANDY SMELL!

But all that is history. Ted and everybody else in the NOLA area is within easy driving distance of sugar cane fields, however. I have seen it in markets or stores occasionally, but it's all crap compared to fresh.

By Melinelly on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 04:12 pm: Edit

or just hit chinatown. fresh cane is usually sold either stripped or with bark, standing in a shallow bucket or pan of water. i used to chew the stuff when i was a kid. haven't had cane in years. never saw it sold longer than maybe a foot though.

you can also get cane in cans, jars, or wrapped in plastic like those fat sour pickles... though fresh is best and probably what you want if your gonna try some kind of alcoholic flavoring/"pickling"

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Here's the weird synchronicity part.

I hadn't even read those last two posts yet...

OOOOOOHHHH!!!

WEIRD!!!

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Tav, Meijer occasionally carries sugar cane. If you have a Meijer around. Farmer Jack's did also, on occassion. I'll bet if you asked the store manager at the local large supermarket chain they could get it. It was pretty cheap too. I think I paid $1.75 for a 6 foot long piece, I was like Bruce Lee with a bo staff "WWAAKKKKAAAAAAAA" hoo hoo hoo.

Then I got it home, started chopping, almost cut my finger off and had to go right back out and get myself to the clinic to get stitches...

"WWAAKKKKAAAAAAAA" hoo hoo hoo.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 11:27 am: Edit

And Bluce Ree was Gink. Not to mention the slightly less ridiculous Bruce Ree and Bruce Li.

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 10:38 am: Edit

As for Kung Fu films. We had the pleasure of "Enter the Dragon" again on BBC TV on Sunday night.

Forget Jackie Chan or anyone else, Bruce Lee was the Master, nobody else even comes close. Especially the way he puts that subtle half smile on his face when he does something like stamping on someone's chest crushing their ribs and killing them.

Bruce Lee was King.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 10:38 am: Edit

there's one place in paris that i saw it at, a yuppie hardware store...my wife freaked out when she had to pay 49 francs ($7) for the bottle.
she said she had it as a child and it should be much cheaper, elsewhere...i bought it anyway...splurge for research, you know...i'll try to see if there is a way to mail-order it...

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 10:33 am: Edit

Petermarc,

Where can you get that stuff and is it expensive. I too am a liquorice addict.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 10:02 am: Edit

"ANTESITE N. PERROT" Coincidence? Or another ancient ripoff of the PERNOD name? (Hey, it has anise!)

(Back in the '70s, I remember seeing a grade-z Kung Fu flick starring ... Bluce Ree.)

By Petermarc on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 09:55 am: Edit

marc, maybe you had this stuff as a kid...a couple drops in water...refresherific for the licorice addict...you can still buy it and it doesn't look like they changed the bottle or label in 100 years...
anté

By Tavarua on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 09:35 am: Edit

Actually, I have been thinking about experimenting with sugar cane. Leave a few sticks in a half empty bottle of Segarra or NS and see what the outcome will be. Not only will it hopefully sweeten the drink, but also, you will have Absinthe flavored sugar cane. I am going to check out some organic food stores soon and test this out. The only problem I think I will face will be finding the cane. Anyway, after I try it I will post the outcome.

By Marc on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 01:56 am: Edit

I love black licorice. As a kid, I ate so much of it that my shit was coal black.

My mother is French. I lived in France in my youth. From the time I was 11 years old, I drank
Pernod on a regular basis.

Licorice is sublime.

By Heiko on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 09:15 am: Edit

Your profile says:
"If you don't like black licorice, then you're wasting your time with absinthe"

I think Ted said some time ago he can't stand black jellybeans - am I right?

By Petermarc on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 08:56 am: Edit

actually, gum syrup was something that was used quite often in the past...i have not been able to locate a vintage bottle or label...i don't think this has been brought up before...

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 08:36 am: Edit

I drink it straight. I also like to drink Maple Syrup, Blueberry Syrup, Honey and Golden Eagle Table Syrup.

You go boy! By the way, Welcome to the Forum.

By Geoffk on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 08:26 am: Edit

Maybe I'm just way too lazy, but, rather than using the ugly cheap spoon that SC sent me, lately I've been dumping gum syrup (liquid sugar) into my absinthe when I feel it needs sweetening. This has the advantage that I can dilute it to taste and then sweeten it to taste, rather than trying to do both at once.

Does anybody else do this (or will I be summarily ejected for the sacrelidge?)

-- Geoff K.

ps. sorry if this question is in the umpteen zillion archives that I haven't had time to read yet...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation