I need help in choosnig a good first pastis/absinthe

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: I need help in choosnig a good first pastis/absinthe
By Melinelly on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 01:56 pm: Edit

all depends on your mail carrier. if it's my usual one, she knows that she can leave packages on the stoop. otherwise, they usually leave me a notice and i have to go pick up packages. you can always call and have them redelivered on a day you know you'll be home as well.

By Maxpower on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 01:09 pm: Edit

that could have very well be the case also.i just found it odd,when other people here speak of finding the package on their doorstep.

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 11:49 am: Edit

Max:

The post office wasn't "carding" you. They were seeing if the package was really for you. They'd do the same if you were buying a box full of Barney dolls.

"Hi, I'm here to pick up my illegally imported, over-the-customs-limit, non-duty-paid liquor?"

"Of course, sir. I just need to see some ID."

[Max glances nervously at signs on counter which read, "The Post Office checks ID under 30," and, "You must be born on or before this day in 1980..."]

BC

By Heiko on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 10:39 am: Edit

You guys forgot to say the obvious thing about pastis:

DON'T BUY PERNOD PASTIS!

It's not good. Buy Ricard - it's not expensive and really good. I also like Janot (rather similar to Ricard), Bardouin and Lou Garagai (both different from Ricard, but also very good).
I don't know Herbsaint, unfortunately. It seems to be unavailable in Europe.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 09:18 am: Edit

And I suspect the Gubbment would be more concerned with the absinthe thing if they found out underaged folks were getting it. WHY WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!

By Melinelly on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 09:06 am: Edit

heya volt,

don't know where the Chonger is buying his pastis, but here in the bay area pastis runs from $12-20 for a bottle. herbsaint goes for around $14 and you can get that pretty easily here. if you're in the area just hit any BevMo or large liquor store. versaint is a little harder to find but you can if you're looking, and will be more expensive and really not worth it. bardouin is also hard to find. muse verte is sold here and there, and absente can be found readily, though definitely not worth the price they ask.

find a bar that serves pastis and try them out. that's your best bet.

By Zman7 on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 06:45 am: Edit

Voltaire,
I might venture to suggest that in your first order from SC that you get some NS70. Of the available Spanish absinthes it appears to have the most "herbal/floral" quality to it. Deva is nice but is mostly star anise/alcohol flavor. Segarra is also nice but it has a brandy/butterscothchy flavor to it. Mixing Deva/Segarra in a 50/50 blend is a way to overcome the brandyish flavor.

By Maxpower on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 05:59 am: Edit

bob,i think age might matter,as up until my last order,i had to go to the post office and show my id to pick it up

By Geoffk on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Segarra is a good choice. Most of the people here seem to prefer NS or Serpis now to Deva. If you can afford it, I would get four or five different ones and try all of these.

Ricard is a nice pastis. Herbsaint is also nice, but it's been a while since I've been in the US, so I don't know how hard it is to find now. It depends, I suppose, on where you live (near New Orleans it's very easy to get, supposedly). Herbsaint has more of a star anise taste as opposed to the green anise in Ricard. Ricard and Pernod are about $20, and I wouldn't pay any more than that for a pastis (absinthe on the other hand...)

As a final comment, if you really don't like pastis (or Ouzo or other anise-tasting driks), then you probably won't like absinthe either. I never notice any secondary effects from it (other than the usual alcohol buzz), so if you order, do it for the taste and romance of it, not for any other reason.

Enjoy!

-- Geoff K.

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Those are fine first absinthe picks. Order two or five at a time to save on shipping.

And skip the sugar ritual until Jade comes out. There isn't anything I've tried from SC that requires extra sweetening.

Pastis? It will cost $20-$30 per bottle. Save your money and buy more absinthe. Drink something else completely for now.

BTW--why did you wait to order from SC? What does age matter when odering from overseas?

BC

By Voltaire on Tuesday, September 04, 2001 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Hey. I just turned 21 (woo) and I've been reading up on absinthe and pastis for quite some time here. Anyways, I plan on heading out tomorrow and picking up a good pastis from the liquor store, which kind would you suggest? Its seems (from what ive read) the easiest to find are Pernod and Ricard. Is herbsaint or versinthe easy to find in liquor stores? What is the general price? Sorry for the questions but about as new to this as you can get. I am going to order a bottle of Deva and Segarra from SC tomorrow as well, but I now that I'm 21 I dont want to wait for that!

Are Deva and Segarra good first picks?

Thanks for reading.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation