Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION
By Don_Walsh on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 09:27 am: Edit

Who do you think you are? You come in here and shadow box trying to drive me out. I'm just sitting here having an unsweetened glass of perfect Edouard Pernod, plotting your deaths. You know, there are guns that I sold being used in Afghanistan as we speak, on both sides. I'm perfectly happy not selling to any of you. Between Chateau Jade and the weapons business, I don't need to make a cent.

By Marc on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 09:24 am: Edit

Look, guys, calm down. I don't know how much of this is you and how much of it is the hackers, but you've got to chill out until its over. Kallisti will take down the board in good time and stop these guys. I know that don's a dick, but he's after my own heart. Have a drink and calm down.

By don_walsh on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 09:22 am: Edit

You faggity little bastards are all alike! You think you can woo me back by denying it! I will never be appeased. I hate everything you bastards stand for! It's just like you to hijack a forum as important as this one and try to avoid the blame. It's just like that traitor Jane Fonda! I lost my damn eye defending you people, you should bow down and grovel.

By TimK on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 09:19 am: Edit

Don, I swear I had nothing to do with this! It's just like you to jump to whatever conclusion you like and just start blaming people.

By Don Walsh on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 09:18 am: Edit

Why won't someone stop this madness! I've quit! Evil has triumphed. None of you will ever taste Jade absinthe!

By Don_Walsh on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 09:16 am: Edit

Look, I know that TimK, Dr. O, and Simonsuisse are behind this! I can smell them all over it!

By Heiko on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 10:39 am: Edit

...nope, it doesn't (cos it's not there).

I don't know what happened: my browser just sent about 12 MB of data, while the file was only 160k. Now, it doesn' work. The joke is dead now... but if you're still interested:

the site is a bit slow, but better for Kallisti's bandwith anyways...

By Heiko on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 10:32 am: Edit

"Bali Hai" ???

Bali Hai

(sorry, couldn't find a picture - this is a flash animation and should play in every modern browser with Macromedia Flash support)

By Chevalier on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 10:07 am: Edit

And here he is: my picture

By Chevalier on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 10:03 am: Edit

Forgot to mention that "El Bali Hai",
Santiago, Chile's very own Moai/Tiki bar, stars ... the lead singer of THE PLATTERS!

That's right: The lead singer of the Platters is spending his time singing with the house band in a Polynesian restaurant in Chile on Tuesday nights. Wow!

By Etienne on Sunday, October 07, 2001 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Cool review, trippy nostalgia at its best!

By Marc on Sunday, October 07, 2001 - 03:52 am: Edit

check it out:

By Chevalier on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Aloha, Marc! Hawaii ya? In one of the photos, I swear I spotted the shadowy figure of Peter Brady, still hiding from the Tiki idol's curse.

Chile has its own Tiki-esque inspirational island: Rapa Nui, more commonly known as Easter Island. Instead of Tikis, there are giant Moai statues. (You know: those "ancient astronauts" that Leonard Nimoy mumbled about in "In Search Of ...") The only "Moai lounge" here in Santiago is called El Bali Hai. Skip it. The most exotic drink you'll find there is a Pisco Sour.

Forum food for fought(sic): In a Tiki/Moai death match, who'd win?

By Admin on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 03:16 pm: Edit

I'm blissfully happy to see it Marc! Tis mighty fine and am sure it will be a great success.

Damn. I need a cocktail.

By Petermarc on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 03:08 pm: Edit

damn, that place reminds me of a restaurant i bussed at when i was in high school...tahiti village in key largo, was one of the original ones, palms trees growing through it, tiki poles and masks everywhere, waitresses in sarongs and bikini tops, a polynesian act every wednesday and weekend, chinese/polynesian buffet($8.95) from a chinese chef from new york (they made their own egg roll filler by putting all the ingredients in a burlap sack and ran over it with a vw) and my buddy mixing mai thais and pina coladas in back...rickety floating bar in the little harbor, diver's pub with aquariums everywhere with old salts trying to pay for their drinks with encrusted artifacts they found on shipwrecks...a huge place, all beautifully dangerous, with a dried palm frond roof and a lawsuit waiting to mysteriously burned down right before new year's in the early 80's...
...the tiki bar in islamorada was great in the 70's, but now pretty much sucks...rumrunners anyone? a new use for serpis(?)...
also trader vic's in san francisco, not the same, but i was too pseudo-yuppie by then...
good luck, marc...great memories

By Marc on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 01:27 pm: Edit

here's a link to Taboo Cove and Venus Lounge
in Vegas:

enter Taboo Cove and you'll see photos of the lounge etc.

By Missthing on Sunday, September 16, 2001 - 07:17 am: Edit

I'd like to wish you best of luck Marc and also offer my sincerest greenest (Absinthine, even) shades of jealousy. I'm a big swing fan (maybe you guessed by my handle, maybe not, heh!) and would love to see RCR live - they're actually touring Australia in a few months but unfortunately not coming to W.A. as far as their current posted tour schedule states... we get bugger all swing bands touring to Oz and even less to W.A. so I'll just have to live vicariously!

By Chevalier on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Shoot, Marc, you're off to a fine start. If you have the time and energy, could you tell us some more about your club? It's always good to hear about a thing like this done well.

By Marc on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Bosko, the designer of the Tiki Bar (Taboo Cove),
turned me on to Tony. He was a consultant on the bible of Tiki bar drinks, The Grog Log. As far as I know, we are the only contemporary bar that Tony
has shared his knowledge with.

By Chevalier on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 01:44 pm: Edit

That's a fact worth promoting. Where on earth did you find Tony? And has he done the same for other Tiki clubs?

By Marc on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 01:18 pm: Edit

one of Don The Beachcomber's longtime master mixologists, Tony Ramos, taught my bar manager the secrets of making authentic Tiki drinks. He would only speak to the bar manager, no other bartenders. He would not allow us to tape record
his teachings or write down his recipes.

By Chevalier on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Great story, Wormwood! Thanks.

By Wormwood on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 05:00 am: Edit

I knew that.

The reason I referanced Trader Vic's drink is he published his drink recipies later in his life. We know what was in his tiki drinks.

Don the Beachcomber guarded his drinks like they were state secrets. His own bartenders didn't even know what was in the unlabeled bottles they mixed with. Don unfortunatly took all his wonderful drinks to the grave with him.

By Marc on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 04:33 am: Edit

your friend came by. I got him drunk. He fell in love with my waitresses.

By Royale on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 10:33 pm: Edit

I hope the opening goes well. I am sorry I won't be there (almost convinced my girl to drive out last night) The drummer of my old rockabilly band is in Vegas tonight and I have told him to go by. I'll be out soon to take you up on your offer of tables and drinks. Good Luck and Congrats.

By Dread on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 03:08 pm: Edit

Marc - Even though we have never exchanged messages I was aware that you had a bar in LV and was hoping to stop by this November. I will be going to Comdex and since I'm there to play I will have quite a bit of free time.

You can be sure that I'll be stopping by. It would be nice to meet someone from this forum.

Todd Wiese (

By Greenhour on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Hey Marc,
I know I'm a little late in congrats, but wanted to say glad to hear things are ready to go. Good luck to you in Vegas and many happy returns!

By Chevalier on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Trader Vic's is a ripoff of Don the Beachcomber, a long-since defunct Hollywood Tiki joint that dated back to the 1920s. In terms of Tiki kitch, food and drinks, Don the Beachcomber came first.

Worthy of mention, and alive to boot: the TIKI TI, a long, cramped shack on Sunset Blvd. southeast of Hillhurst Ave. Ancient Ray and his middle-aged son make a mean "Princess Pupuli".

By Thegreenimp on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 04:51 pm: Edit

I have an old 1940's Trader Vic's drink book, and the recipe for the original version of the Zombie, had Herbsaint in it.

By Admin on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 08:03 pm: Edit

peeeektures, marc. send me peeeektures.

heh, you should raid the tiki list I sent ya for cocktail names.

and as a refresher (heeeee), we were on a monkey kick, quite. Tho I think the "swamp witch" would make an excellent absinthe tropicale type cocktail. Heh, that or "pond scum"

The Monkey Hole
The Swamp
Swamp Witch
Hoodoo Hut
Klub Kilowat
monkey orbit
tiki monkey!
Siriusly Tiki
The Liquinaut
Monkey Nad Palace

By Marc on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 07:57 pm: Edit

BTW, our Tiki bar is called TABOO COVE.

By Marc on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Beachcomber's Gold
Beachcomber's Punch

both contain Pernod.

By Marc on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Don The Beachcomber's signature Tiki drink has Pernod in it. Instead of using Pernod, we have been experimenting with some Spanish and Swiss alternatives. They're mighty tasty.

How about calling it

By Verawench on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 06:49 pm: Edit

I will tape down my boobies and wear my pin stripe suit and fedora hat and kick back with a green martini and watch the girls.

Way to go, Marc mon ami.

By Petermarc on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 04:31 pm: Edit

las vegas life...publisher, nostradomis...
nice way to start a business...congrats and good luck...

By Frater_Carfax on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Congrats Marc!

Everyday I'm on this forum I seem to discover a new reason to visit the ol' US.

Already I feel a chorus of Viva Las Vegas coming leg is starting to shake uncontrollably, and I have a strange desire for cheeseburgers, and little pills, green ones, blues ones, make me feel good mama uh huh....

By Chevalier on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Forgot to mention the deadliest of absinthe Tiki drinks, the infamous

By Eric on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 11:49 am: Edit

I wish you the best luck and success with your new club marc.
the RCR is a great band that puts on a really good show. my band did a double bill with them a while back at the blue cafe in long beach. they are a bunch of real cool guys. Eddie Nichols, the lead singer still comes out to see us frequently when we are in the LA area. they are one of the only bands from that whole swing revival thing that I really like.

By Chevalier on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 11:24 am: Edit

Tiki drinks with absinthe. An excuse to put those dusty bottles of Philip Lasala to good use.

From one Marc to another, some suggested names for absinthe Tiki drinks:

-- Gauguin Was Here (But He Doesn't Remember)
-- Seedy Tahiti
-- French Polyamnesia

And ...?

By Wormwood on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 11:08 am: Edit

Do you make any tiki drinks with absinthe?
I know Trader Vic used to use Pernod alot back in the early days of Tiki history.

By Chevalier on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 09:59 am: Edit

Morrigan, you are someone that I'd like to meet. (Along with your husband, of course!)

I live far away from you all; If I could, I'd charter a plane and offer to fly everyone down to Rio or Buenos Aires. Last February, in South America's summertime, my girlfriend and I visited L.A. and San Francisco, where we went to see Café Absinthe on, of all days, a Monday -- when it's closed!

Chances are that I won't be back in the U.S. for a while. We'll just have to arrange a ...

Sepulchritude Absinthe Forum World Tour 2002:
New Orleans; San Francisco; Buenos Aires/Rio; Paris; parts of the UK, Germany, and Australia; Chert and Bangkok.

By Melinelly on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 09:50 am: Edit

yes, congrats marc! would that i could make it on over, but i've got a lot going on right now, too much really as some here know. can't wait for december. should be a blast!

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 09:40 am: Edit

Chevalier - You've had some absolutely great tales to tell in here, & I've thoroughly enjoyed them all. Will you be in Vegas in December to regale us with more? Do hope so.

- M

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 09:38 am: Edit

Shit dang, if I wasn't coming in December, and hadn't been there twice already this year, I'd be down there in a flash.

No kidding Kallisti!! I was checking plane fares right after I read Marc's post to see if I could make it down next weekend (until reality checked me & told me to wait till December).

Marc m'dear....congrats on doing it right. BRAAA-VO! Can't wait until December gathering to bury the hatchet with you in a tall dry martini.

- Morrigan

By Chevalier on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 09:33 am: Edit

Marc, a coincidence: the last time I drank absinthe in L.A. was a night when the ROYAL CROWN REVUE played the Derby in Los Feliz. This was about four years ago, back in "Neo-Swing"'s dubious heyday. I funneled some Spanish Partus absinthe -- foul pre-Segarra stuff -- into a chardonnay bottle, brought it to the club/restaurant, and paid a corking fee for the funny green "wine". Soon the funny wine's funny aroma alerted Tammy, the Derby's co-owner and resident Ex-Groupie, who nervously insisted that I pack things up: "You can't spirit in spirits," she said. (Or should have said. In truth, it was something like "Cork it and hide it.") By then, I was sloshed enough to feel the music pulsating against my skin, and my vision was framed by a foggy green halo. (Wishful thinking, probably.)

By Admin on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 09:04 am: Edit

Ian, come to the Vegas Gathering ... it's in December, so that gives you lots o' time for planning.

Marc! Congrats! Wooooo!

Shit dang, if I wasn't coming in December, and hadn't been there twice already this year, I'd be down there in a flash.

Please, I want pictures!

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 02:43 am: Edit

I'll be over in France on your opening night but will certainly raise a glass to you on that day. I am long overdue a trip to the States so lets see what comes up.

By Marc on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 02:39 am: Edit

Vegas awaits. Let me be your host.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 02:26 am: Edit

Let me be the first here to congratulate you Marc, must be nice to see all the hard work come to fruition.

By Marc on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 01:07 am: Edit

okay, friends and lovers, here it is

VENUS, lounge and Tiki Bar, opens
September 13 with THE ROYAL CROWN REVUE
exotic dancers
(check out their websites)

kitchen serves American classic cuisine
until 3 a.m.
cocktails poured til 5 a.m.

If any members of the forum are going to be in Vegas in the next few weeks, contact me. I will reserve you a table and the drinks are on me.

By the way, I'm pleased to report that Las Vegas Life magazine has proclaimed VENUS "one of the 10 hottest nightclubs in Vegas". And we're not even open yet!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation