Justin Wilson

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Justin Wilson
By Don_Walsh on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 02:05 pm: Edit

As for Prudhomme, I enjoyed his K-Paul's when he was a nobody with a tiny 8-table place on Chartres Street in the 60s and 70s, no reservations, no credit cards, set menu of two entrees per day, and a line forming at the door that went for two city clocks at lunchtime. That is rare in NOLA where we have a lot of options...my office was a half block away...so I ate their when I didn't go to Messina's. Now I suppose he has overplayed his cards, in SF, etc., and for 30 years imitators have been burning redfish on his name. When you've got it, flaunt it, flaunt it! It won't be forever.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Another chunk of my life that now resides only in memory. That is a definition of aging.

Au revoir, Justin.

(Where are you at, you little shit lurker who made fun of my French? You want to make fun of my french when I am saying goodbye to Justin Wilson? I'll kick your Danish pasrty ass.)

By Artemis on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

Rest in peace, Justin.

By Pataphysician on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 07:07 am: Edit

"Dis ees goooood. Ah guar-awn-tee!"

By Bob_Chong on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 06:59 am: Edit

As for Prudhomme, I am a little disappointed that he is now able to walk around on his own, without the use of his rascal. It was a nice schtick he had, and he went and ruined it by losing 300 lbs.

BC

By Geoffk on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 06:02 am: Edit

Yes, and many of thoise people wouldn't have known about either cajun OR creole if they hadn't seen him and been tempted to try it. He seemed like a nice guy. Why not cut him a break?

Or maybe you like Paul Proudhomme better?

-- Geoff K.

By Bob_Chong on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 05:00 am: Edit

He was a cartoon whose popularity has caused millions of idiots to now be incapable of ever knowing the difference between creole and cajun, and for those same idiots to label anything with too much cayenne pepper as "cajun."

Yes, he will be missed. The cajun cook from Mississippi, hawking Lays potato chips on TV.

BC

By Mr_Rabbit on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 02:19 am: Edit

It is certain that Justin Wilson even now stands before an audience of goggle-eyed angels, all of whom are wondering- what purpose does all that wine going not into the recipie, but instead into Justin Wilson, serve?

He will guarantee it is absolutely neccessary to the dish, however.

He taught me to cook Cajun on PBS, like some wack-ass cross between Julia Child and Cheech and Chong, and I will miss him.

Adios, amigo!

By Geoffk on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 10:20 pm: Edit

I think it's great so many on this board live in or near New Orleans. Even for people who don't live there, it seems to have acquired a sort of (unofficial?) "home town" status for the absinthe community. Of course, from a historical standpoint, this makes perfect sense, so it means that we haven't lost sight of the romance and history of the drink. Of course, for any goth-type folks, New Orleans has the Anne Rice associations as well.

I remember seeing Justin Wilson on TV. He always looked like he was having a great time and you wished you could be there too, chatting, asking questions and smelling what you saw on the screen.

He will definitely be missed. Especially by all those grandchildren and great grandchildren!

-- Geoff K.

By Etienne on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Au revoir, Justin

By Melinelly on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 09:05 pm: Edit

aw nuts. i grew up watchin' that guy... =(

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 07:51 pm: Edit

His motto was "If it ain't fun, don't do it."

The pre-cursor to Hippie parenting?

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, September 06, 2001 - 07:41 pm: Edit

bye bye

BATON ROUGE, La. (Reuters) - Internationally known Cajun cook and humorist Justin E. Wilson has died at age 87, his daughter said on Thursday.

Probably best known for his Cajun cooking series that has aired on public television for 30 years, Wilson, who prepared typical Cajun dishes of pungent spices and hot peppers, always said he was "not a chef, just a damn good cook."

Wilson died on Wednesday at a local hospital. His family did not say what the cause of death was.

A former safety engineer who learned to cook from his Cajun mother, Wilson turned to humor for a living after being seriously injured in a car accident in the 1940s.

Sara Sue Easterly, his daughter, said he started telling jokes to make critical warehouse reports less painful for the recipients.

"People just kept asking him for more and more jokes, so he did," she said. "If there was breath in the man's body, he was cooking and telling jokes."

Wilson recorded more than 27 albums and wrote eight Cajun cookbooks and two books of Cajun humor. He had just finished work on a soon-to-be published Cajun cookbook for children.

He made public speaking engagements across the United States, Europe and Australia, and taught human relations courses at police academies in three states.

Wilson also had a passion for politics, his daughter said.

"When we were growing up, we never knew who we would find at the kitchen table for breakfast -- Sen. (Russell B.) Long, Gov. (John) McKeithen, Jimmie Davis -- or anyone else in the neighborhood," Easterly said.

Of his fractured French-to-English sayings, some that worked their way into the American vernacular included, "How ya'll are?" and "Me, I'll gar-on-tee!"

Wilson referred to himself as a "half-bleed Cajun," his daughter said. "He always said he didn't think he could take a full dose of Cajun blood."

His motto was "If it ain't fun, don't do it."

He was a member of the American Society of Safety Engineers, the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists and American Legion, a lifetime member of Ducks Unlimited and an inaugural member of the Louisiana Legends, along with Aaron Neville, Ron Guidry, George Rodrigue and Long.

Survivors include three daughters, Sara Sue Easterly, Pam Colleran and Menette Catalanotto; eight grandchildren, and 13 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services are to be held Saturday at St. Lukes Episcopal Church in Baton Rouge, followed by burial in St. Williams Cemetery, Port Vincent, Louisiana.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation