Bottle of Tunel

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Bottle of Tunel
By Mr_Rabbit on Saturday, September 15, 2001 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Manguin has a very noticeable bitterness. All in all, however, I find it to be foul.

The secondary effects are immediate and unpleasant to me. I don't know what they put in there, but it leaves me feeling jittery and fuzzy at the same time.

By Tlautrec on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Actually, it was Trenet that I brought to the Bastille Day fete. Emmy had it just right: "thin, not heavily anised, but semi-refreshing." However, I'm still not certain whether Trenet really is absinthe. Its label has that mysterious wording, "liqueur aux extraits des plantes d'absinthe," which I've come to believe is generally an indication that the product inside the bottle is a faux, or imitation, absinthe. Phil from Lyon, who not long ago produced a spoon with the words "Absinthe Trenet" on it, has told me that Trenet really is an absinthe, but based on my own experience with it, it's certainly an absinthe "lite" (...very lite...) if it's absinthe at all.

By Geoffk on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Campari is really nice. One thing that has disappointed me about most commercial absinthes is that I expected them to be at least a little bit bitter, in the way that Campari is. Wormwood is notorious for bitterness--it's een used that way in small bottles of bitters. Deva and the others seem to be rather sweet though, without a lot of bitterness and with anise/licorice as the prodominant tastes. Even Lasala has more of a lemon/anise taste than a true bitterness.

Maybe I am looking for something that shouldn't be there. Besides a bad homebrew, has anyone had a really bitter absinthe drink?

-- Geoff K.

By Guillermo on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Well, I finally cracked open my bottle of Tunel and had a drink this afternoon. Ted was right: it's thin, and alcoholic. I have no idea the difference b/w "star anise" and the other licorice / jellybean flavors, but I got mostly jellybean out of this drink.

Overall, a rather disappointing experience reminiscent, in fact, of my previous (only) experience with "commercial" absinthes (e.g. Deva, Mari Mayans). AND I have a headache to boot -- after one drink!

To make matters worse, the high alcohol content of Tunel (140 proof!) means that for me to drink the stuff I really have to cut it -- I did 5:1 over ice -- and then what you have is basically flavored water. What I like about Campari (my true love!) is that I can take it 1:1 -- actually prefer it that way. The relative full-body of the liquor as it hangs in the glass of iced soda water enchants me! If all of life's pleasures could be so simple.

Thanks very much -- Bill.

By Admin on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 11:21 pm: Edit

We were drinking many and varied. I *think* tunel was among them, if it was one of the ones brought by tlautrec.

The one I was mainly pouring all day though was NS.

By Emmy on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 11:12 pm: Edit

kallisti, was it Tunel we had at the Bastille Day picnic?

if so, then i agree with ted's posts. it's thin, not heavily anised, but semi-refreshing. it's not a bad drink, but it's not a good absinthe, eh. you might enjoy it.

By Guillermo on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Thank you again: that gives me a little something to look for when I try it.

By Tabreaux on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 05:20 pm: Edit

I have a bottle at home, and what I recall is very light on the anise, virtually no louche, a hint of absinthium (probably an extract thereof), and the distinct aroma and flavor of alcohol. It's better than the Czech because it contains no pointed 'synthetic' flavor and is drinkable, albeit thin.

By Guillermo on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Ted,

In your post you mention the predominant flavor of alcohol in Tunel, but in an earlier review of Tunel at http://www.sepulchritude.com/chapelperilous/absinthe/absinthe-guide.html you say this:

“All in all, I rate this product as somewhat better in flavor than the Czech swill (I am excluding Sebor Marc), but it is simple and very light in content. I think the extent of its usefulness is in educating the consumer to the flavor of absinthium, because other than a hint of star anise, that is what you taste.”

Do you still get the absinthium flavor from Tunel, or do you feel that the alcohol overpowers it? This would be helpful for me to know, as I have almost no experience tasting absinthe and would like to learn about the different flavor components.

Thanks! – Bill.

By Chevalier on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 11:10 am: Edit

Un grand point d'absinthe pour toi, Wolfgang. Fraternité!

That's the spirit, Ted. A comment delivered without arrogance or derision.

(Has Ted ever said anything arrogantly or derisively on this forum? I doubt it. Feel free to remind us all if he has. God knows I've been guilty of it -- unfortunately.)

By Tabreaux on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 07:25 am: Edit

Tunel is thin and alcohol seems to be the most predominant flavor.

By Wolfgang on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Well, if you add water it wont be 70% anymore... Drink it and share your tasting notes with us (it's been a long time since the last review of this absinthe)...good luck

By Guillermo on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Hi all!

I just got a bottle of Tunel in the mail from a friend. As it's my first bottle of absinthe, I'm grateful, interested, and happy to have received it! Unfortunately I'm not feeling up to a 70 proof drink today, and so will wait to try it.

Hey Eric (Scoob): if you're still out there, I owe you a drink!

Bill in Berkeley.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation