I almost miss the Wiz

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: I almost miss the Wiz
By Wolfgang on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:41 pm: Edit

Pata : I don`t know if it`s Freudian but when I looked in the french-english dictionary to check how to spell bored, I found out it would be funnyer to keep the double "o" mistake ;-)

By Chevalier on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 11:07 am: Edit

Here's why I support Don's proposal, and think that "ignoring troll posts" is not so simple.

The Staticburst posts were shrapnel bombs, obvious from the beginning. The "Kristy" posts were tests: more subtle, if equally puerile. You can, on principle, ignore a troll post; but only if you feel that this is what it is.

I would easily detect, reject and ignore any posts that read like Staticburst's. I would not automatically ignore or attack a "Kristy"-esque first post, because I wouldn't be reasonably sure that it was the ill-intentioned work of a troll, and because I believe in giving apparent newbies the benefit of the doubt.

A subtle troll is detected by the damage he has already wrought. It's far better to lock him out in the first place.

By Pataphysician on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 10:16 am: Edit

"we are just waiting and getting *boored*"

Haha! Excellent Freudian Slip!

By Chevalier on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 10:16 am: Edit

Right on, Wolfgang. That's why I like Etienne's suggestion of forming a "club" for collectors/enthusiasts of antique absinthe items. And how about
(re)presentations of absinthe on film? Sure, we've talked about the new "Moulin Rouge" and "Total Eclipse". But what about "Time Regained"? And the early versions of "Madame X"? What role, real or implied, does absinthe play there? Surely the last word hasn't been said on this subject.

By Admin on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 10:01 am: Edit

actually, ha! I do most of my tasting in the early morning. all fresh n stuff.

But the bottle is at work, and sadly ... I am not.

By Bob_Chong on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 09:55 am: Edit

What? You're eschewing high proof spirits before 10 a.m. on a weekday? Does Head know about this?

BC

By Admin on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 09:52 am: Edit

re: serpis ... should have results for you tomorrow. heh.

By Wolfgang on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 09:23 am: Edit

The problem is that at the actual time we have nothing to say about absinthe. Most of the regular poster have tasted every palatable commercial absinthe and we are all waiting for something better. So unless there is a gathering somewhere or some tasting of antique absinthes by a lucky one, we are just waiting and getting boored. That's why we are giving so much attention to the shit throwing monkey.

Now if we are lucky, someone will soon taste the new serpis and we may have something to say about absinthe...

By Royale on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 05:11 am: Edit

It is sad that 3 of the top 4 threads are worrying about the "troll" Let us forget, ignore and move on!

By Heiko on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 04:33 am: Edit

I don't know how any written words on this forum could ruin my day. If somebody behaves like an asshole, well, I don't even see him/her. It's just words. Watching a bad movie doesn't ruin my day, how could the forum?

The "Iwin" reminds me of some guy who goes into a biker-bar, tells the most vicious guy "your mumma sucks cocks in hell", gets beaten up and while lying on the floor says "I win because I only wanted to get a beating, hehehe!"
I find that very amusing, in a way ancient kings laughed about dancing "dwarves". In a time when political correctness doesn't allow us to laugh about mentally and/or physically impaired people, isn't it nice someone volunteers as the local asshole?

When it comes to information, I know what names I can trust.

By Chevalier on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 07:32 pm: Edit

The latest way this troll slithered in tells us something -- about us.

His first "Kristy" post was offbeat but mild: it mentioned some personal details and didn't come across as arrogant, deadly serious or insulting. The writer claimed to have some Serpis 65, casually mentioned that Mari Mayans 70 is sold in 5 or 6 Chicago liquor stores, misspelled Segarra and showed some blithe (but self-acknowledged) ignorance of absinthe in general. In short, the post's content was goofy, nothing to lose sleep over.

Why did it prove to be enough to cause "strife" and "distruction"? Heck, even "Kristy"'s later posts directed toward Artemis were far less derogatory than what we've come to expect from the troll.

If those who cared enough to reply had simply said, "Hi Kristy, you seem a bit silly, you're mistaken on several key points, and do you have a contact for absinthe other than SC?", the troll would have succeeded only in inspiring some bemused good will -- which, as Kallisti has said, is not his intent at all. Then what could he have done? He'd have lost.

In any case, I'm not going to let a complete stranger's vile, ludicrous, baseless words -- the ones that end with "i win" -- screw up my day. The only thing I'll do is try to learn from our reactions.

By Admin on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 06:24 pm: Edit

heh, that came out a bit harsher than I meant it.

I love you, man. Honest.

By Admin on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Alot of people's problem is 1) misuse of the term "troll" 2) not being able to identify a troll when they are real

A troll is *not* an ignorant newbie, or someone who uninformedly disagrees with people. Or even just an asshole. A "troll" is a very specific group of people whose sole purpose is to cause strife. You can not argue with a "troll" because, by nature, everything said by a troll is a lie designed to draw other people into argument.

Ferchrissakes, If you think someone is a troll:

1) tell me, and tell me why
2) don't argue with them THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE TRYING TO GET YOU TO DO
3) all this turns us into gits as much as they are, WHICH IS THEIR POINT
4) check the person's posting history. M.O.'s are made very clear by this. Trolls don't generally spend months preparing for the BIG SURPRISE. A few lead in posts will suffice. And they will NEVER not reveal themselves, i.e. "I WIN"

Most people here that are flippantly called "trolls" are NOT trolls. They either posted on the wrong side of the fence, said something inappropriate, OR ARE JUST ASSHOLES. AN ASSHOLE DOES NOT A TROLL MAKE.

Here is a basic description of a troll:

"A troll is like a poltergeist. The troll has no productive purpose;its main goal is destruction. It wanders into a thriving newsgroup (the more thriving, the better) and attempts to draw what most of us would consider unwanted attention by creating a "flame war". Ninety-nine percent of the time, the troll posts several related comments which are loaded enough to cause _outraged_ rebuttal but simplistic enough for the troll to remain a non-participant in the battle that will ensure. Of key importance is that the troll almost never participates further in the event it has created. Its reward is to stand back and watch, like a mad bomber. It lights the spark and watches the newsgroup burn.

"Trolls range in complexity of behaviour but the key factor is INTENT. The Troll's intent is always insincere and always to cause a major disturbance. This disturbance is almost always off-topic to the newsgroup. In cases where it is on-topic it is usually highly superficial to the subject matter."

How many of you knew Kristy was a troll? I thought so.

By Chevalier on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Marc, your comment looks like something Staticburst would have posted. Same words; different writer. What do we have here: irony or parody?

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 03:31 pm: Edit

"This "troll" business is turning you all into assholes."

"Continue to roll around in the shit."

Well Marc, you've blown your chances of earning a gold sticker.

By Marc on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 03:06 pm: Edit

This "troll" business is turning you all into assholes. That was the troll's intent. And that's the definition of a troll. Its like some kind of Burroughsian virus, language infecting and altering the brain matter of the members of the forum. The troll is inside of you now. You are all mutating into reflections of the troll. Continue to roll around in the shit. Enjoy.

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Perhaps limit this forum strictly to the people that add Absinthe content/information with style and an excelerated if not advanced level of knowledge on the subject.

All others have the mere priviledge to read and sip in muted silence against the flickering blue backdrop cast upon the walls...

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Chevalier,

It's just as well that only new posters are forbidden from doing all these things as otherwise we'd all be banished and it'd be one empty bulletin board.

Maybe we should start a list of forumites who (if the rules applied equally to all forumites both old and new) have not broken the 'Troll Rules' and award him/her with a special golden sticker (just like the one I give out to the best behaved child in my class).

Hobgoblin

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Roger Orfevre!

By Chevalier on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 10:30 am: Edit

Hob, it's simple. Re. this forum, a troll is someone NEW who pisses at least two of you off because s/he

1)challenges your credulity, and/or

2)offends your intelligence and/or beliefs and/or assumptions and/or personal appearance, habits and/or lifestyle, and

3)accuses you of lying, and

4)probably does so in more than one post.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 12:34 am: Edit

Why is it so important to acknowledge trolls anyway?

'Trolls' are a fact of life. Unless they are being deliberately vicious (and let's face it some regular forumites can be deliberately vicious) we should have a laugh and enjoy them.

No real people actually exist on this forum anyway. We are not synonomous with our forum handles or profiles, all we see here is at best faint, self-edited glimpses of what posters would like other posters to percieve themselves as. This is not reality.

When is a new poster just an argumentative, abusive, arrogant poster, and when is he a Troll? If a regular poster wants to attack another regular poster and cause trouble does that make him a Troll? If someone has 2 or more handles without declaring this does that make him a Troll? If a new poster makes his initial posts rude and provocative is he a Troll? If a new poster does not treat regulars with respect and deference does that make him a Troll?

What is a Troll?

As I have been asked to outline my definition of the 'Party Line' then perhaps someone should provide a definition of a 'Troll' so that we can test it against anyone we consider may be a 'Troll'. Who knows, some regular posters may even fail such a test and have to be banished from the forum (only to rise like Phoenixes with another handle).

Hobgoblin

By Bob_Chong on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 11:55 pm: Edit

So what will it take for us to acknowledge a troll?

Especially one who pretends to have meat curtains, just so a few come rushing to "her" aid? WTF?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation