Izarra

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Izarra
By Admin on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 08:47 am: Edit

yeah, here's a wee blurb from hotwired.

http://hotwired.lycos.com/cgi-bin/back.cgi/cocktail/links/izarra.html?/cocktail/96/13/alchemist.html

they say it is a kind of basque chartreuse.

By Geoffk on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 01:37 am: Edit

Sounds a lot like Chartruese. Soem people claim that this also makes them stoned (or sick anyway...)

-- Geoff K.

By Tomjoad on Sunday, September 09, 2001 - 12:26 am: Edit

I found this liquer called Izarra in a local store. It is basque(for "star") and comes in two versions; yellow and green. The store clerk could not tell me anything about it other than "the bascos go crazy when they see it." So I've done a little internet research and found that it is based on Armagnac, put through a second distillation with 32 herbs(yellow) 48(green) then a final coloration step with saffron for the yellow and several herbs for the green. They are supposedly 40 degees and 48 degrees(55 from one source). The first is supposed to taste of bitter almond; the second of peppermint.

One interesting note is that I found someone claiming it makes him feel drunk and stoned at the same time. Sound familiar?

The bottles at my store were pottery and resembled ancient oil lamps. Priced at $40 for I'm guessing <500ml. The only pictures I've found on the net are normal bottles.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation