Was it Taco Bell or Mari Mayans

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Was it Taco Bell or Mari Mayans
By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Drinking absinthe will make you sick and give you a stinking hangover.

I drank 1 pint of absinth (not neat but mixed with water at a 4:1 ratio I might add). I threw my guts up and had a rotten hangover the following day. Then again perhaps it was the bottle of red wine, the bottle of mead and 2 bottles of Carlsberg lager consumed before the absinth that did it?

Hobgoblin

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 08:05 am: Edit

Yes but maybe not M.M.

By Heiko on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 07:42 am: Edit

I think for headaches it needs more than some "good but not perfect" alcohol. I guess Don purifies for taste, not because of headaches.

I don't have a proof for this, but neither Herring nor Montana in big amounts cause headache (and I only need 2,5l of beer to get a very very nasty headache). That makes me believe the standard alcohol used for the normal Spanish absentas is good enough not to cause hangovers.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 07:35 am: Edit

Why not ? Usualy bad headaches are caused by bad alcohol. Even ordinary (not bad but not perfect) alcohol can cause a bad hangover if you take too much of it. Only perfectly purified alcohol made like a maniacal perfectionist (and we know who I'm talking about...) will almost never cause headaches.

By Heiko on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 05:33 am: Edit

Last weekend I had some 3 and a half glasses of La Bleue and ate too many salted peanuts. I couldn't sleep half of the night and felt rather sick. I think it was the peanuts as I could imagine drinking another absinthe but when I thought of peanuts I almost had to puke.

Drinking a lot of absinthe at a festival recently never made me feel sick and I never experienced the slightest headache, even I had different brands every night (mostly Montana and Herring, some little NS and Segarra). I can't imagine MM to be so nasty as it is a very one dimensional Spanish absenta. There's not much in it that could cause nasty headaches ;-)

By Geoffk on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 12:23 am: Edit

I drank about four glasses of MM 70 (maybe 100 ml total plus the water) in a couple of hours, followed it up with a cigar and managed to get myself fairly sick. I felt like crap the next day too.

Smaller amounts of it don't seem to bother me, but it's not my favorite in any case. Despite the nice louche, it's too one dimensional, with just a big black jellybean taste. The color is a little scary too.

-- Geoff K.

By _Blackjack on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 09:02 pm: Edit

There is a really great taco cart down the road from here (witnessed by the long line of actual Latinos that surround it every afternoon). I suspect it's going to disappear as the gentrification process of Arlington continues. Crowds of brown people aren't good for the property values.

Sorry. I'm just bitter ever since Whitey moved in.

(Not to be confused with Whitey's, which is an old neighborhood bar...)

By Chevalier on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Not to be confused with Taco Tongue, an ailment with a culprit: construction site taco truck hot sauce.

By _Blackjack on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 04:31 pm: Edit

I got nasty food poisoning from a tongue taco I got at this trendy yuppie southwestern joint.

I just like to say "tongue taco."

By Anatomist1 on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Gastric distress resulting from consumption of Taco Bell products is so common the joke is stale. I have also heard accounts of food poisoning from Arby's in several states. In both cases, I believe it is the quality of the meat and chains' handling procedures that are at fault. Fried foods that come from fast food restaurants are also abominably bad for your health due to the highly oxidized state of the frying oil. Do yourself a favor, if you have to eat fast food, make it sub, and grab a piece of fruit at a convenience store to go with it instead of chips.

K.

By Zman7 on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 03:28 pm: Edit

I've drunk plenty of MM without even the slightest headache the next morning. MM may not be the raging favorite of forumites, but it's not bad compared to some other swill. I'll put my money on the Taco salad.

By Blygdon on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Was the MM before or after the Taco Smell? Sometimes that matters. Of course, if before, you might be given to singing the Taco Hell menu to the tune of "La Bamba" to the poor kid trying to work the late night drive thru. It can be done.

By Cheri on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:30 pm: Edit

I know that Deva and Burger King mix pretty well..

By Eric on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Cheri,
I doubt that it had anything to do w/ the MM.
you would'nt be the first person I know of to get sick after eating taco bell though.

By Riku964 on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:13 pm: Edit

Hmm, that is not sounding especially deadly. I am not sure what brave soul would volunteer to test out Taco Hell/Absinthe reactions, but I think a full investigation of how the menu reacts to various brands is in order!

By Cheri on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:07 pm: Edit

A taco salad. No hot sauce.

By Riku964 on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:05 pm: Edit

What Taco Hell food items did you consume?

By Cheri on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Last week, I woke up in the morning with a horrible headache. The night before I had a 1.5 oz of Mari Mayans with 4 parts water. As soon as I got out of bed, i promptly went to call "RALPH"..not only did I not really like it the first time around, but the SECOND TIME AROUND, it's majorally FOUL. It's pretty though. In the bottle. Now other circumstances could have possibly caused such a NEGATIVE reaction on the part of my body..but this is the first time I've done the hurl after having absinthe.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation