Serpis 65

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Serpis 65
By Absinthespoon on Saturday, September 15, 2001 - 10:12 am: Edit

I think a blind-folded taste test is called for!

By Heiko on Saturday, September 15, 2001 - 09:34 am: Edit

I guess it must be the taste of the red colorant. I also think Serpis (standard) tastes "red", kind of. Some flavor I know from orange lemonades and stuff like that. If it's not totally psychological because of the color, the only explanation would be that the red colorant has a specific taste which is linked to orange lemonades in my brain ;-)

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, September 15, 2001 - 08:20 am: Edit

Yeah, you're right. But I'm not talking about the color, I'm talking about that sort of sweet-hot flavor in Serpis which I taste right after the anise.

Does someone have both NS and Serpis 65? Try them side by side and tell us what you think.

By Absinthespoon on Saturday, September 15, 2001 - 08:05 am: Edit

I don't think the red is a flavor, I think it's just cochineal, which is a coloring agent made from red mealy bugs which live on prickly pear cactus. Cochineal is widely used- I recently noticed it's in the Dole pink grapefruit juice in our vending machines at work.

By Perruche_Verte on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 09:21 pm: Edit

The new Serpis tastes a LOT like NS, only with that "red" flavor (what is it? cinnamon?) in addition to the others. It has a stronger wormwood extract taste.

Pretty good. Not sure whether I'll get it again.

By Absinthespoon on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 07:51 pm: Edit

What I like best about Mari Mayans is the 200 ml bottles. They are quite convenient to tuck into your bag when going on a short trip.

By Heiko on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Strange that some (most) think MM 70 is disgusting. I find its taste boring, nothing more, nothing less. Just like the MM 55%, extremely one dimensional. Only the 55% is not as mild as the 70%. I don't know which one I'd say is better. They just taste boring :-)

By Absinthespoon on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Yes I have a bottle of MM55. I actually like it better than the MM70. It's possible to drink it straight- it seems somewhat less "radioactive" than the 70 percent, but I guess I can't really tell a difference in the star anise concentration.

By Heiko on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 06:49 pm: Edit

You haven't tried the MM 50% variety, right?
Its anise content is so high it almost burns holes in your tongue ;-)
It tastes, just like the 70%, very one dimensional - the same boring taste, only the 70% is mild in comparison. I think my theory holds up for that, too.

By Absinthespoon on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Heiko, your theory about the higher percentage absinthes holds up except for MM70, obviously (that's what damaged our tongues in the first place!).
Serpis 55 is also not my favorite. I always thought it had a slightly unpleasant aftertaste. I am happy to report that the 65 has a very satisfying aftertaste (again, to my less-than-perfect palate).

By Heiko on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 01:30 pm: Edit

I'm also suffering of a bad anise immunity...

In some brands I don't even detect anise anymore, while other people (not used to any absinthe or pastis) say all they taste is anise.
I think the anise isn't as predominant in any of the higher percentage absinthes. That's what makes Deva 70 a little better than Deva 55.

I'm looking forward to my next order (and Serpis 65) - even the standard Serpis is not my favorite.

By Tavarua on Friday, September 14, 2001 - 11:03 am: Edit

I'll roshamboe you for it.

By Uncle on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 07:44 pm: Edit

I just recived a bottle of 65 as a gift from a friend. This is the my favorite so far! The 65 is the perfect drink for a cool fall night .

By Absinthespoon on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Just got my order with 2 bottles of Serpis 65 (hey I knew I would like it!). I was somewhat alarmed when I picked up the package because it smelled of wormwood! One of the bottle caps was cracked; fortunately only about 25 ml was spilled. I did go for the olive oil combo, as I was able to get it for the minimum shipping charge.

The Serpis 65 is really, really nice. Same red cochineal color, but a much improved taste, to my palate. I'm know my taste is not as refined as many of you so I won't attempt a detailed review. I would just say that I don't really detect star anise as a major component, although my tongue has probably been permanently damaged by Mari Mayans! I think it's fairly subtle here. I thought the "old" Serpis was nice, but the 65 is really quite delicious.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation