In favor of cloning...the shepherd returns to his flock...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: In favor of cloning...the shepherd returns to his flock...
By Bob_Chong on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 07:55 am: Edit

Thanks, String. I was at Goose about two weeks ago, but forgot to stop in at Sam's.

BC

By String on Sunday, November 18, 2001 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Herbsaint is now available at Sam's Wines. They still dont have it online, but I was at the store yesterday and I saw lots of bottles on the shelf for $13.99 each.
Don't forget to go next door to Goose Island. They have a Trappist syle ale now. Its not Chimay, but its the best new one they've had in a long time.

By String on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Bob,
I have also been looking for Herbsaint here in the area. I found one place that stocks it, but they said they will be until mid october. Here is the URL. http://www.dicarlowine.com/

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 09:20 am: Edit

Artemis:

Can you tell me if Herbsaint is available anywhere in Chicagoland? I checked Sam's Wines already: no luck.

Thanks!
BC

By Artemis on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 04:43 am: Edit

Chevalier, that wasn't aimed at you - I didn't think you were cheeky. That was rather an apology to Vera for not delivering what I promised and a quasi-explanation to others that I'm not as rough as I might seem here.

Killer Queen, I love you too.

To be more clear, I haven't moved my home - I still have my home in Illinois; I'm just working away from home on a temporary but long assignment which precludes going back there anytime soon.

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Best of luck in your new home. It's good that we're still hearing from you!

Ditto, Chevalier. I consider myself fortunate to have made the acquaintance of such a gentleman as Artemis (*and sipped his wares!*), and will always consider him a friend. And I agree that attending the gatherings DOES enlighten one's perspective on forum members (thinly-veiled pitch for upcoming Vegas gathering - Artemis, will we see you there?)

Whether his posts here are prolific or sparse, he will never be far from my thoughts. (Now somebody stop me before I hit the maudlin melting-point.)

- Morrigan

By Chevalier on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Artemis,
Sending Verawench something special was the act of a gentleman. When all's said and done, Ted and the tribe are lucky to call this "enemy" their friend. That's what I was trying to convey. I guess it sounded more cheeky than clever.

Best of luck in your new home. It's good that we're still hearing from you!

-- Marc C.

By Artemis on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 04:24 pm: Edit

"Vera, is Artemis sending what I think he's sending?"

It's not as good as I originally teased her with, but all of that was either consumed at the Petermarc tasting and/or already promised to someone else by me or Ted or Peter. In that sense my alligator mouth overloaded my hummingbird ass.
But what was left has been distributed to a few people I love and a few who have no reason not to love me, contrary to what they might think.

"Hot damn! With enemies like Artemis, who needs friends?"

I will always be blunt, and that alone pegs me as an asshole to some people: so be it.
Sometimes I'm mean on the Internet just for the hell of it, but the gathering in NOLA went a long way to curing me of that, by putting human faces onto forum bytes. Sometimes I relapse, though ........

For that reason alone, I recommend that everybody who has the resources and the time, go to one of these gatherings. But I'd be lying if I said I would go even if the green fairy wouldn't be there .....

By the way, for those who give a rat's ass, I made my transition across the Rocky Mountains successfully and contrary to my expectations, now find it easier than ever before to access the Internet, but I have little time to do so and will continue to lay low here for a while.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 03:11 pm: Edit

true...true...

By Chevalier on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Vera, is Artemis sending what I think he's sending?

Hot damn! With enemies like Artemis, who needs friends?

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 09:58 am: Edit

Thank`s Peter & Artemis, your story bring me back some very pleasant gustative memories...

(And now I know why Ted bring a bottle of Berger to Montreal...He had waited for so long to get some feedback! ).

Truly a magnificent and very special absinthe.

By Aion on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 10:47 pm: Edit

"…there was a smoothness and something different about it…I couldn’t pick out the spice"

That doesn´t fit on nutmeg, that I assumed to be the secret spice (and having proofed psychoactive effect).
That doesn´t fit on cardamom as well.
Both give a sharp taste, woody and warming (nutmeg) or extremely fresh (cardamom).

Don´t know about any effects, but based on description
of the taste, I now assume it could be *VANILLA*.

A.

By Verawench on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Artemis, I'm still in disbelief.

Sometime this week you'll be hearing from a very gleeful wench.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 07:47 pm: Edit

It was quite a trick, keeping the fire going without any oxygene inside that box.

By Artemis on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Chong ventured: "Cardamom?"

You tell me.

Vera: "Card-A-Mom"

You'll see. Look for a brown paper bag. If it's filled with dogshit and on fire, it's the postman's doing, not mine, contrary to my earlier threat.

By Artemis on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 07:25 pm: Edit

“there’s a couple of choices you can make about having a vintage bottle of absinthe…”

In my case, the choice was easy. When I learned Peter had the old Berger, I immediately bummed a sample from him. Having nothing of similar value to offer in return, I asked Ted Breaux to make such, and told him of the plan - his recreation to go mano a mano against Peter’s antique. Ted immediately accepted the challenge, but took a LONNGGG time making the stuff, only to tell me when it was finally done that it didn’t meet his standard and that he would have to do it over. Which after another LONNGGG time he did. And he still wasn’t satisfied. But he sent it to me anyway. It was during these many months that it developed that Peter and I would be able to meet in person, so all was well. The “Berger” from Ted arrived a scant week before Peter, the Chris Columbus of absinthe, arrived in the New World.

“we cracked open the seal on the little bottle with a pair of pliers…artemis let me pour the dose…he pulled out the bottle he received from ted…not very elegant, he said almost apologetic…it was in a plastic water bottle”

You had to reveal I said that? Actually, I found Ted’s presentation not only practical, but quaint, as the water in question is a famous Louisiana product from Ted’s haunts north of Lake Ponchartrain, and it reminded me of home.

“…it was peridot green”

Actually, when I got it, I was surprised at how brown it looked, but that’s not in any way a drawback.

“…I smiled as the green of ted’s turned slightly yellowish in a mimicking of the vintage”

The night I got it from Ted, I prepared myself a glass. When it louched, I was STUNNED. The thickest, creamiest louche I have ever seen, apart from the old Berger. It had that snot-yellow louche of Segarra, but MUCH better. I almost hated to drink it; I just wanted to sit and look at it.

“…how the fuck did he get it to do that?”

That was exactly my thought.

“it was like the same sheet, one a fresh piece of paper, the other a parchment…”

I thought the old Berger was like a vintage Rolls Royce, smelling of old polished wood and aged leather. It has what Peter terms a “baby powder” scent and although I wouldn’t exactly call it that, it’s very prevalent. Much to my surprise, Ted’s recreation ( a new Lexus?) has the same scent, only fresher, not masked by the “vintage” Cognac-like aromas of the old Berger, which Ted’s obviously lacks because only time can provide those. I should add that while Ted’s product was brownish-green, the old Berger was the color of dark honey.

“…I was about to tell artemis to try the vintage with more water, to see how it stands on it’s own, even after a few waterings…he downed that last bit before I had a chance…et tu, artemis…”

That first glass of Ted’s that I mentioned, after I drank it and *rinsed the glass twice*, the smell from the glass was still perfuming the room!

“…there was a beautiful purpled bottle he had found hunting…”

Erath’s New Orleans Creole Hot Pepper and Oyster Sauce, the pride of my collection. The whole text embossed on the bottle in raised letters.

“I pretended that he owed me $100 for the sugar and caught him”

Asshole. I actually reached for my wallet. But I was drunk and he wasn’t.

“…artemis was the first person I hated on the forum, after he took my french sugar joke badly”

HATED ?!!! You were remarkably restrained at the time. Jeez, the people who flame me must REALLY hate me!

“this placed is a speed trap, artemis warned, it’s how they make money for the town…I was warned…I had to go”

Imagine a big city slicker, living in a foreign country at that, pulled over in Mayberry, Illinois with illegal liquor on his breath. You in a heapa trouble, boy. Can you squeal like a pig?

“I know I can’t bullshit, or make things up that I think happened, and hope I didn’t…”

If anything you were a little TOO verbatim, but that’s okay. It gives me confidence in the veracity of your other adventures.

“artemis gave me a small sample of ted’s to bring back with me…I was too afraid to bring it on the plane…I could have, no problem…it’ll sit with my brother’s absinthe collection, untouched, until the next time…”

After pouring off the portion that Ted designated for another of our tribe, that’s exactly what happened to what was left of Ted’s - it went into my cupboard for a special rainy day.

I want to also express my thanks to Ted for going along with this, and to apologize for my long delay in appraising what he sent, but I wanted Peter to take the lead on this. In a word, Ted's "Berger Verte" is magnificent, unlike anything else I have ever tried, and way more interesting than the "Berger Blanche" I sampled in New Orleans (although I could guzzle that by the pint, and in fact, did) it's truly in a class by itself.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 07:16 pm: Edit

The Very Same Day!!! In fact I have a red phone that is under a glass dome right next to the computer. It's a direct line from the Big Mango himself...

When that sucker rings I'll probably miss the call because of the swooning, weakness in my knees, I'll fall hitting my head on the edge of the desk.

By Etienne on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Will you be producing the excellent design on the right? Perhaps to be introduced at the same time as the Jade products?

By Etienne on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 07:07 pm: Edit

That is SO cool!

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 06:47 pm: Edit

The transition to all things Head!

By Artemis on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 06:41 pm: Edit

“special square glass fountain with one spigot on some sort of a metal stand that I forgot what he had said it was originally for”

I think it’s a plant stand. When I get my hands on a digital camera (soon, I hope), I’ll show the whole rig to the forum. It was (relatively) cheap to put together, and has a certain ratty elegance, as I warned Peter in advance my whole house has. He said not to worry, as he considers himself to be elegantly raton, his own self.

“artemis had to pick the whole thing up and dump it into her glass from the top, looses some of it’s elegance, but what the hell”

When I’m done drinking absinthe, I just chug-a-lug the ice water straight from the thing - to hell with waiting for that dripper. But don’t worry, I have no cooties, and if I did, the absinthe we drank that day would have made short work of them.

“…we looked at some spoons I had brought”

Very nice spoons, including one very rare one, and a souvenir spoon that represents features of the city gate in Pontarlier, but all I saw when I looked at that one was a Head Prosthesis. That spoon is now in the hands of himself, who has this very day illustrated the transmogrification from Gate to Spoon to Head for me - post that photo if you like, Mr. Head.

“and a glass, spoon and saucer I had picked out for him”

Cut glass and a heavy spoon shaped like an elm leaf. Very nice. And a price-marked saucer.

“plus a kilo of real, genuine french sugar tablets, wrapped in paper with astronomy stuff on them”

I was more excited about those than almost anything Peter brought out. They reminded me of Mah Jong tiles, which also make me happy. And only $100 a box!!

“I had muled some oxygénée for mutual friend in new york”

I kiped half of it for myself, but Mr. Big Apple got the half in the pretty bottle.

“plus another small bottle”

Ah, but the contents .....

“I was later to learn he had been stashing things away for weeks, keeping them out of harm’s (his own) way in order to provide a full experience for me…”

Drinking Hill’s the whole time, too, so I wouldn’t have to tap the good stuff. NOT! I was drinking beer, and I’m still drinking it. I had forgotten how good beer can be. Unfortunately, I had a lot of different things on hand for Peter to try, but very little in quantity, so almost nothing remains now. That’s okay, I was glad to do it. I delayed my departure for my new job by two weeks so I could hook up with Peter. We had been talking about it for almost a year - damned if I was going to wait that long and then miss out on seeing him by two weeks.

“he first pulled out a lovely green potion, obviously natural in color”

Everything we tasted that day was colored in the old-fashioned way, except of course the blanche.

“the alcohol was not lost on this bad boy…it singed my nose-hairs and I was afraid I would be lost before I had started…I declined, much to the disappointment of artemis,”

Think of it as a high-class Hill’s. Several other forumites will receive a sample soon - they won’t wimp out as Peter did, I’m sure.

“…green anis, fennel and absinthe…the ‘holy trinity’ as artemis refered to it, and these were the base of two creations, a blanche and verte… assembled and transformed by an illinois protégé of artemis, convinced of the truth of the ‘minimalist’ Arnold recipe, lifted from marie-claude delahaye’s book”

Arnold obviously got it from Delahaye, who got it from Duplais, who published it as a typical 19th century recipe for Pontarlier absinthe. After reading all three texts and finding them virtually identical, I set my cohort Igor to work on whipping up a batch - to be honest, you have to tweak the protocol to get a good product, but you CAN make excellent absinthe from just three herbs.

I agree with everything Peter said about La Bleue and Hausgemacht, etc. Very well said. I think the reason the Swiss don’t mess with coloration is that it’s hard to get right and easy to mess up the “clean” flavor of the clear product.

“I couldn’t pick out the spice, but it was obvious after he told me”

So far, nobody else has either but KALLISTI, who is very good at such, if she has even tasted hers, has not bothered to write to me about it, even though I sent her my new email address ....

“This is also the case of another verte which was colored differently, with an artemis-garden fresh herb by a skilled artisan that many here know and love”

If it hadna been raining, I would have taken Peter out and let him taste it right off’n the bush, so to speak.

“andouille sausage made with chicken and apples…not from louisiana, california”

Aidells. A good product, but not real andouille.

“this is creole mustard”

Zatarains, from New Orleans. Sabine said it was typical of mustard from Northern France; she liked it.

By Artemis on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 06:41 pm: Edit

“special square glass fountain with one spigot on some sort of a metal stand that I forgot what he had said it was originally for”

I think it’s a plant stand. When I get my hands on a digital camera (soon, I hope), I’ll show the whole rig to the forum. It was (relatively) cheap to put together, and has a certain ratty elegance, as I warned Peter in advance my whole house has. He said not to worry, as he considers himself to be elegantly raton, his own self.

“artemis had to pick the whole thing up and dump it into her glass from the top, looses some of it’s elegance, but what the hell”

When I’m done drinking absinthe, I just chug-a-lug the ice water straight from the thing - to hell with waiting for that dripper. But don’t worry, I have no cooties, and if I did, the absinthe we drank that day would have made short work of them.

“…we looked at some spoons I had brought”

Very nice spoons, including one very rare one, and a souvenir spoon that represents features of the city gate in Pontarlier, but all I saw when I looked at that one was a Head Prosthesis. That spoon is now in the hands of himself, who has this very day illustrated the transmogrification from Gate to Spoon to Head for me - post that photo if you like, Mr. Head.

“and a glass, spoon and saucer I had picked out for him”

Cut glass and a heavy spoon shaped like an elm leaf. Very nice. And a price-marked saucer.

“plus a kilo of real, genuine french sugar tablets, wrapped in paper with astronomy stuff on them”

I was more excited about those than almost anything Peter brought out. They reminded me of Mah Jong tiles, which also make me happy. And only $100 a box!!

“I had muled some oxygénée for mutual friend in new york”

I kiped half of it for myself, but Mr. Big Apple got the half in the pretty bottle.

“plus another small bottle”

Ah, but the contents .....

“I was later to learn he had been stashing things away for weeks, keeping them out of harm’s (his own) way in order to provide a full experience for me…”

Drinking Hill’s the whole time, too, so I wouldn’t have to tap the good stuff. NOT! I was drinking beer, and I’m still drinking it. I had forgotten how good beer can be. Unfortunately, I had a lot of different things on hand for Peter to try, but very little in quantity, so almost nothing remains now. That’s okay, I was glad to do it. I delayed my departure for my new job by two weeks so I could hook up with Peter. We had been talking about it for almost a year - damned if I was going to wait that long and then miss out on seeing him by two weeks.

“he first pulled out a lovely green potion, obviously natural in color”

Everything we tasted that day was colored in the old-fashioned way, except of course the blanche.

“the alcohol was not lost on this bad boy…it singed my nose-hairs and I was afraid I would be lost before I had started…I declined, much to the disappointment of artemis,”

Think of it as a high-class Hill’s. Several other forumites will receive a sample soon - they won’t wimp out as Peter did, I’m sure.

“…green anis, fennel and absinthe…the ‘holy trinity’ as artemis refered to it, and these were the base of two creations, a blanche and verte… assembled and transformed by an illinois protégé of artemis, convinced of the truth of the ‘minimalist’ Arnold recipe, lifted from marie-claude delahaye’s book”

Arnold obviously got it from Delahaye, who got it from Duplais, who published it as a typical 19th century recipe for Pontarlier absinthe. After reading all three texts and finding them virtually identical, I set my cohort Igor to work on whipping up a batch - to be honest, you have to tweak the protocol to get a good product, but you CAN make excellent absinthe from just three herbs.

I agree with everything Peter said about La Bleue and Hausgemacht, etc. Very well said. I think the reason the Swiss don’t mess with coloration is that it’s hard to get right and easy to mess up the “clean” flavor of the clear product.

“I couldn’t pick out the spice, but it was obvious after he told me”

So far, nobody else has either but KALLISTI, who is very good at such, if she has even tasted hers, has not bothered to write to me about it, even though I sent her my new email address ....

“This is also the case of another verte which was colored differently, with an artemis-garden fresh herb by a skilled artisan that many here know and love”

If it hadna been raining, I would have taken Peter out and let him taste it right off’n the bush, so to speak.

“andouille sausage made with chicken and apples…not from louisiana, california”

Aidells. A good product, but not real andouille.

“this is creole mustard”

Zatarains, f rom New Orleans. Sabine said it was typical of mustard from Northern France; she liked it.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 05:07 pm: Edit

drop! copyright: sabine the frog-girl
drop

By Tlautrec on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Petermarc-

Beautiful!!!

By Petermarc on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 03:18 pm: Edit

it was time…I had brought the small bottle, a poire williams eau-de-vie I had drained and refilled from my vintage bottle, then melted leftover sealing wax from my wedding invitations over the top…there’s a couple of choices you can make about having a vintage bottle of absinthe…you can keep it as you found it, like a pristine virgin, and wonder about how much it is worth and look at it longingly trying to figure out when is the best time to open it, what shelf it will look best on…how much did I pay for it? How can I get my money back? Did I put fabric softener in the laundry tonight, or am I going to have to wear scratchy clothes that are hard to iron? Choices, our fucking lives are made by our choices…I have always regretted and loved my choices which, amusingly enough have never left me with much but memories… I seem to do things without any money that everyone else says they can’t afford, or don’t have the time, etc. etc.etc…I had yanked the cork on the bottle when I realized I couldn’t get a good draw off the hypo eric had swiped for me from the hospital room that his wife was getting checked in during her pregnancy…the damn needle was too big…clogged everytime I shoved it into the cork…it crumbled, I was sure it wasn’t the original, and so?…we cracked open the seal on the little bottle with a pair of pliers…artemis let me pour the dose…he pulled out the bottle he received from ted…not very elegant, he said almost apologetic…it was in a plastic water bottle…it was peridot green…I was sure it would be different, a poseur…he (i) don’t remember who poured a similar dose in the other swirl glass…the smell, slightly floral, powdery…the first thing that hits you is the alcohol…immediate burn on the tongue…this is not a sipping absinthe, like so many that I have encountered lately…it has…presence..they both did, ted’s being fresher more lively, the vintage like someone watching from behind, yet oready to open up…I love how good absinthe opens up…I was somewhat flamed early in my posting here about how absinthe should fill a room with it’s odor… ok, tell us what ‘real’ absinthe should be like! artemis angrily responded one time on the forum…I’ve been searching ever since…it makes you want to look for it, another being with you…the legends, the poetry, the b.s. comes to life and you know why good absinthe was so popular in the past…because it was…good…I told artemis that I would put only a half a sugar tablet on the spoon (after being subjected to TWO when I first tasted the vintage) he let me do what I wanted…he cranked the spigot and let the water drip…I handed my camera to my wife (who is a cerified camera bug) and let her take some pictures…I smiled as the green of ted’s turned slightly yellowish in a mimicking of the vintage…how the fuck did he get it to do that? The vintage did it’s little show, mellowing, lightening, spreading it’s wings…this is what it is about…and to have them together was wonderful…artemis made the analogy that sticks in my mind…it was like the same sheet, one a fresh piece of paper, the other a parchment…my wife tried them, and, of course liked them…she is easily seduced by the best…it is just the lesser things that don’t interest her…it is tough being a lesser thing…I sipped the two, comparing, enjoying, knowing that ted will never recreate the exact thing, but that he could reanimate lost flavours, giving a window to the past, like looking into a cabinet filled with artefacts, but never having the key…the key is time…the rawness of youth can never replicate the wisdom of the past, but can reflect it in spirit…it is very enjoyable…I was about to tell artemis to try the vintage with more water, to see how it stands on it’s own, even after a few waterings…he downed that last bit before I had a chance…et tu, artemis…
we looked at his bottle collection, bottle digging something we both shared…I dream about antique bottles at least once a week…very odd…there was a beautiful purpled bottle he had found hunting…a few hutchisons, and his own small absinthe collection…we posed for a photo, me and the ‘vieux hibou’…I pretended that he owed me $100 for the sugar and caught him…artemis was the first person I hated on the forum, after he took my french sugar joke badly…the rain had stopped…this placed is a speed trap, artemis warned, it’s how they make money for the town…I was warned…I had to go…I didn’t see his garden, I didn’t see his ‘green man’ in the tree…I didn’t stay as long as I wanted to…it is hard to write about encounters like these…I know I can’t bullshit, or make things up that I think happened, and hope I didn’t…
artemis gave me a small sample of ted’s to bring back with me…I was too afraid to bring it on the plane…I could have, no problem…it’ll sit with my brother’s absinthe collection, untouched, until the next time…

By Aion on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 06:16 am: Edit

I would vote for *NUTMEG* to be
that certain secret spice!
A.

By Verawench on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Card-A-Mom

By Bob_Chong on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Cardamom?

By Petermarc on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 06:00 pm: Edit

I was not as prepared as I thought I would be when artemis installed us at the wooden kitchen
table. artemis had set up a special square glass fountain with one spigot on some sort of a metal stand that I forgot what he had said it was originally for…it was loaded with ice…if I was ever to be convinced that I needed a fountain, this did it…the controlled drip of water is absolutely a wonderful thing, and is much easier to use than a carafe…a ‘must-have’ for any absintheur, don’t worry what it looks like or if it’s old, just figure out how to set one up for yourself…sabine stuck with ice-water, which also is easily, but slowly, dispensed from a fountain… artemis had to pick the whole thing up and dump it into her glass from the top, looses some of it’s elegance, but what the hell…we looked at some spoons I had brought, and a glass, spoon and saucer I had picked out for him plus a kilo of real, genuine french sugar tablets, wrapped in paper with astronomy stuff on them…I had muled some oxygénée for mutual friend in new york, plus another small bottle, and artemis surprised me with some peychaud’s bitters…we talked about the forum (that morning had been the day that kristy revealed her evil truth) and how we get a little strung out on the whole thing… I had to get cliff notes from artemis after I returned to paris regarding what we had tried, and when I saw them, I was blown away by how many…I was later to learn he had been stashing things away for weeks, keeping them out of harm’s (his own) way in order to provide a full experience for me…
he first pulled out a lovely green potion, obviously natural in color…I have to emphasize that artemis is 100% biodegradable, with no artificial colors, ingredients or personality(artificial, that is) added…you always get a natural product…the absinthe was made from a base alcohol of everclear…now this just seems natural to me for this product…190 proof alcohol seems about right for a good glass of the green fairy…we used to dump it into garbage cans filled with odd fruit juices which combined with dry ice gave off a green glow, the ‘nuclear punch’ of my fraternity days…ah, yes, I don’t remember them well…
the alcohol was not lost on this bad boy…it singed my nose-hairs and I was afraid I would be lost before I had started…I declined, much to the disappointment of artemis, since this particular brew had certain ‘abilities’ which could not be completely attributed to alcohol…we will try it again my friend, when I have more than a couple of hours to visit…
there was a plate on the table with three dried herbs…green anis, fennel and absinthe…the ‘holy trinity’ as artemis refered to it, and these were the base of two creations, a blanche and verte… assembled and transformed by an illinois protégé of artemis, convinced of the
truth of the ‘minimalist’ Arnold recipe, lifted from marie-claude delahaye’s book…the verte was colored with lemon balm and petit wormwood…they were sound and clean, though still a product of the learning stage…there is no doubt that the swiss primarily make ‘la bleue’ because it is much easier than a verte…of several ‘hausgemachts’ I have recently tried, when both a blanche and verte were made, the blanche is always better, cleaner…I think this gives the country-clean, hills-are-alive-with-the-sound-of-music freshness to la bleue, and makes it not less than, but just different than verte, and easier to make well… however, good verte is usually much more complex…the only verte, I’ve tried that was great out of the starting gate was andy’s, and he has really had some variations after…good absinthe can be ‘hausgemacht’ but it is very difficult to make it ‘hausgeconsistant’… another fun aspect of ‘artisanal’ products is the ‘libre expression’ one has with whatever ingredients one wishes to use…it may not come out well, or it may be really great…lavender, ginger, herbs de provence, orange can all add interesting effects to absinthe…I just found a recipe for absinthe wine which has gentiane and have sent out a packet to an artisan-friend for distilling…the next verte artemis sprung on me was nice…there was a smoothness and something different about it…I couldn’t pick out the spice, but it was obvious after he told me…interestingly enough, it is also rumoured for it’s questionable psycho-active properties, but gets put in a lot of desserts…maybe why that’s why we like it…I’ll leave it up to artemis to decide when to name it…this is also the case of another verte which was colored differently, with an artemis-garden fresh herb by a skilled artisan that many here know and love…and then another fine verte by the same artist…how many is that now? six?…a story could be written about each one, but I can’t do it…and I sure as hell wanted to try more than just the small taste I had from each glass….we munched on bagel crackers while tasting (yes, my wife did try some) and then artemis brought out some olives, a cheese spread (boursin) that one can find in france and a tasty andouille sausage made with chicken and apples…not from louisiana, as we hoped but california…andouille from france has cunky pieces of intenstines, smells like a pig’s butt and you would be arrested on the spot if you tried to bring it cross american borders…this is creole mustard, artemis explained and my wife was excited to try it…it’s hot, he warned…ah, no, creole mustard tastes exactly like normal french mustard…the french mustard you get in the usa has typically been wimpified for your protection…time was getting short and we had one more serious comparison to do…

By Morriganlefey on Saturday, September 29, 2001 - 01:12 pm: Edit

"Now I've got a bitchin Camaro
with no insurance to match,
And if I happen to run you down
Please don't leave a scratch"..

-M

By Petermarc on Saturday, September 29, 2001 - 08:26 am: Edit

bitchin' camaro
bitchin' camaro,
i run over my neighbors!
bitchin' camaro
bitchin' camaro,
tony orlando and dawn!

jeesh, i better start writing something soon....

By Head_Prosthesis on Saturday, September 29, 2001 - 06:17 am: Edit

That's when they were in their prime!
Rust primer prime!

By Zack on Saturday, September 29, 2001 - 01:13 am: Edit

"It'll never be the same..."

You shoulda said that back in 1972 (or was it 73?), ever since then they have been - ugh.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 10:51 pm: Edit

It'll never be the same...

By _Blackjack on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Quote:

Guess what Morrigan, they announced the end of the Camaro line in 2002.

They are going to take a hiatus and bring it back in aught-five, with a major redesign, like Ford did with the T-bird.

By Tavarua on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Head,

Thanks man. By the way, talk to Vera. My offer stands.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 02:58 pm: Edit

...back to our regularly scheduled programming...

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Tav, please, don't worry about it. I went after you growling and snapping first. I wasn't being the best "Head_prosthesis" I could be anyway.

If I had never seen "Head Hunter" in your profile as your occupation when you first arrived, I probably never would have taken the offensive.

Salaam & Shalom fellow American.

By Wolfgang on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 01:40 pm: Edit

oups...''funded''... (I want my edit access back!!!!)

By Wolfgang on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 01:33 pm: Edit

''end of the Camaro line''

Well we all know here in Quebec that the canadian government had found GM to build those Camaro for over 4 years just to artificialy keep over 1000 jobs running. It`s sad for those who lost their jobs but I`m happy to know I`m not going to spend more money through my taxes to build cars for beer-swelling mullets.

By Tavarua on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 07:53 am: Edit

Head,

I can't tell you how sorry I am. I had no idea of this and am especially sorry for your loss. My sentiments. If you flame the hell out of me or worse, I deserve it.

By Artemis on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 07:47 am: Edit

"If there has been a death in Head's family, recently, which I seriously hope there has not been ..."

I hesitate to step into this, or into the forum at all other than to contribute to Peter's story, but Head's grandmother in fact died and a childhood friend killed himself in the past few days. The private Head is a different person than the forum Head and NOT laughing all the time, far from it.
Everybody cut him some slack, please.

By Tavarua on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 07:34 am: Edit

Now I feel quilty and don't even know why.

By Tavarua on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 07:30 am: Edit

Vera,

Please begin, because I am confused.

If there has been a death in Head's family, recently, which I seriously hope there has not been, then that would make me feel like a REAL asshole. If so, then I am extremely sorry for the comment.

If this is not the case, what did I say. I do not enjoy being called stupid, and if you actually new me, you would know that I am the farthest thing from inconsiderate than you could image.

By Verawench on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 07:20 am: Edit

I don't even know where to begin telling you how stupid and inconsiderate you just proved yourself to be.

By Tavarua on Friday, September 28, 2001 - 07:01 am: Edit

Morrigan,

That's alright. Had to try though. By the way, I am making no attempt at creating carnage within your household, nor would I want wreap the worldwind of such an action. I just think your purty. Now I must find someone else to raise rabbits with.

Vera,

I thought we had something special, that trip to figi, those long nights by the fire in that mountain cabin. Oh wait, that never happened, shit, disregard this message.

Panks,

Fight the power. The world is your oyster and the forum is but a puppy.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 10:04 pm: Edit

What? No Scoobie snacks?

By Verawench on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 10:02 pm: Edit

He redeems himself just as I was about to give the leash a gentle tug.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Oh Peter! Great story and nice pictures by the way...

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 09:41 pm: Edit

No shit!

Morrigan:"The Ambassador of Goodwill" to all newcomers. The Duchess of disciplined temperament and she's gotta get slack and challenge from the dribblings of babbling nonsensical doodahs.

By Verawench on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 06:02 pm: Edit

Double phhtuuuie at Tav. And M, I love ya hon, you never let these snotty little boys catch you being anything less than classy.

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 05:42 pm: Edit

(Yes, mild-mannered-Morrigan can indeed get PLENTY snarky. Challenge my love or loyalty to friends or family, and you raise my haunches. 'Nuff said.)

- M

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Tav - though the sugar-britches & pumpkin talk is enticing (phhtuuuie!), I'll have to pass. My mushy-mushy love for my husband registers way too high on the puke-o-rama scale.

Panks - *thanx* for your support. Though I don't have the faintest idea who you are, nor have I ever spoken/written directly to/about you, you seem to delight in mocking my loyalty to my beloved (ie this ain't the first time). Do it again and you'll have a bucket fulla cat-fight headed your way should we ever meet.

Snarl,
-Morrigan

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Guess what Morrigan, they announced the end of the Camaro line in 2002. It's a really sad day for Downriver Mulletoes.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 04:58 pm: Edit

I'd bet my life savings on M. taking 1 singing Elvis over 100 Tavuras.

By Panks on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 03:46 pm: Edit

I've got money on Morrigan eloping.

By Tavarua on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Morrigan,

I figured this issue may arise and have devised a plan. Leave your husband and elope with myself. Look at the timing. In a few months, the Vegas gathering will occur, and as we all know, Vegas is the heart of such frivolous activities. I say this is fate. Think about it, I will call you sugar britches and you can call me pumpkin. Do it for America.

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Tav - No, I do not "hate" America, but, as an American, I do believe the courts still recognize the sanctity of marriage and do not require one to testify against one's spouse. "Going there" is akin to testifying in the court that (often times) is this Forum, so alas .... neener neener and fat chance to you! *snark!*

My husband, on the other hand, is Canadian, so how U.S. law treates him I could not ascertain...

- M

By Tavarua on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 11:40 am: Edit

Morrigan, I am afraid at this point, you have no choice. You must indeed go there. It is your duty as a forum member, and even as an American. You don’t hate America do you?

By Pataphysician on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 11:29 am: Edit

Oh, do tell!

By Morriganlefey on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 09:57 am: Edit

"Morrigan, how does your husband feel about absinthe? "

Chevalier - oh, don't go there. For reasons far to convoluted to go into in detail, he disdains even the mere reference to it. It's "my thing" and he sadly has little interest in it (something akin to the way Tlautrec's wife feels about it, I believe.) But it's more of an unpleasant memory association for him than any findings of unpleasant flavor. He doesn't MIND the taste, although he doesn't consider himself a fan. He's more a pitch-black mud-thick stout man.

- M

By Heiko on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 08:58 am: Edit

"The re-predicted adds that we see today, usually portray a seedy setting, but once in a while, you do see a portrayal of stately individuals sitting around enjoying a glass."

You're right. Like this one: the men don't look like drunks and the woman doesn't carry certain implications.
One of the bottles looks like a bottle of Pernod Fils.

bistro

By Heiko on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 08:47 am: Edit

Well, my computer-multimedia-obsession is much stronger than the absinthe obsession.

If I spent all my money only on absinthe, I guess I could easily own a warehouse full of spoons and glasses, not to forget a fountain.
Well, maybe a little less, I'm not rich - but I just bought new computer parts worth 12 bottles of Segarra... somehow the joy of owning an Athlon 1400 with 512MB finest Crucial DDR-Ram must be worth it...

I don't expect women to understand it, because even I don't understand it - I just feel it ;-)

By Chevalier on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 08:09 am: Edit

"Maybe it is because we men usually are taking our hobbies (or would “obsessions” be the better fitting term?) much too seriously, and tend to forget everything and everybody(!) else
surrounding us!" -- Aion

Replace the words "we men" with "some of the regularly-contributing forumites", brother Aion, and you become the front runner for this forum's Awful Truth award.

By Tavarua on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 08:08 am: Edit

As with any liqueur, there are cheap varieties, fine selections and everything in between. The re-predicted
adds that we see today, usually portray a seedy setting, but once in a while, you do see a portrayal of stately individuals sitting around enjoying a glass. Just because you could get extremely cheap liqueur in the form of absinthe, doesn’t mean that that is all that was out there. Today, you can get a bottle of champagne for 6 USD or spend 500 USD or more on a bottle.

By Heiko on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

Maybe it's just that women are bored by the way men discuss things (no matter what)?

Last year I had to do a course on American poetry (the predicate "had to" might tell you how much I'm interested in poetry). It turned out pretty ok for me, but all the girls who were in this course felt like they were in the wrong movie. Maybe because the professor who gave the course was a man?
As soon as he started to tell us his personal interpretations, all the girls' hands would rise up to tell him they thought completely different about this part of the poem...
It was fun ;-)

By Heiko on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 07:48 am: Edit

Most men portrayed as absinthe drinkers weren't exactly model types either. Most of them look like typical alcoholics, IMO.

By Verawench on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 07:29 am: Edit

"That is something the ordinary male is not supposed to be interested in - so why absinthe?"

I can only speculate.. 19th century absinthe certainly was a drink enjoyed by both genders; though the women *portrayed* as absinthe drinkers (at least in art and propaganda) were not exactly those of the most reputable sort. I've always wondered if Sarah Bernhardt had reasons OTHER than mere copyright of her image to sue Terminus absinthe. Maybe a woman being featured in an absinthe poster carried certain implications.

Or maybe we're making this gender division up. It's often been mentioned that THIS particular forum scares girls away :P

Vera

By Tavarua on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 07:08 am: Edit

Damn you double-post, damn your black heart.

By Tavarua on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 07:07 am: Edit

I had a little gathering to try and introduce absinthe to some of my friends and the girls, for the most part were repulsed by the flavor, while the guys enjoyed it after having their second or third. Feeling not to creative, I pulled out some OJ and mixed it with that, for the women folk. After that, all but one actually took a liking to the mixed beverage. I guess the moral of this story is, if you are trying to introduce this to people who have picky taste buds, women, start them out with OJ instead of water. A shot of Gin on top really brings out the herbal goodness and adds a lot to the drink, but don’t plan on walking straight after a few of these.

By Tavarua on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 07:04 am: Edit

I had a little gathering to try and introduce absinthe to some of my friends and the girls, for the most part were repulsed by the flavor, while the guys enjoyed it after having their second or third. Feeling not to creative, I pulled out some OJ and mixed it with that, for the women folk. After that, all but one actually took a liking to the mixed beverage. I guess the moral of this story is, if you are trying to introduce this to people who have picky taste buds, women, start them out with OJ instead of water. A shot of Gin on top really brings out the herbal goodness and adds a lot to the drink, but don’t plan on walking straight after a few of these.

By Heiko on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 06:37 am: Edit

Vera,
of course I didn't mean you or any other girls on this board. You prove that absinthe is a nice hobby for women as well!!

btw. I've been wondering recently why there are so few women interested in absinthe. When I look at who's interested in French fin de siècle prose and poetry it's mostly girls. People even wonder when I know who T. Lautrec was and that he painted commercials for the Moulin Rouge. That is something the ordinary male is not supposed to be interested in - so why absinthe?

Only because it's alcohol? Maybe because women fear to lose control of themselves after drinking it while men want to lose control?
;-)

By Aion on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 03:40 am: Edit

"... favorite smell for women was cucumber..."

There is a women´s perfume called "NEW WEST FOR HER / ARAMIS", its main scent is cucumber!
This stuffs stinks awfully!

By Aion on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 02:59 am: Edit

Maybe absinthe contains something very close to
female pheromones. Making (most) women dislike it, making men act like a cat smelling valerian root.
Btw. do cats like the scent of absinthe???

Or can it be that women - in general - have nothing against absinthe, but nearly all WIVES hate it.
Maybe it is because we men usually are taking our hobbies (or would “obsessions” be the better fitting term?) much too serious, and tend to forget everything and everybody(!) else
surrounding us!

A.

By Geoffk on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Southern Illinois and most of the rest of the Midwest is indeed flat cornfields. However, Wisconsin, Northern Illinois and parts of Ohio are wooded, Hilly and very pretty. They remind me quite a lot of Vermont or New Hampshire (although missing some of the architectural charm and history). I did a lot of canoeing and camping in Wisconsin.

I mostly grew up in New England, but I spent High school and Jr. High on Chicago's North Shore. It was a little provincial compared to the East, but not too bad. The worst part was the weather. I though New Hampshire got pretty cold in winter, but it's nothing like the Midwest. It starts to snowin Chicago around Nov. 1st and doesn't stop till mid-April, if then. During the winter, it will go for weeks at a stretch below zero Ferenheit (what is that? -20 C ?) then get close to freezing (0 C) and snow like mad. "Lake effect snow" often blows in freezing gusts from Lake Michigan. Of course, the summers are horrendously hot and sticky as well.

Lake Michigan itself was amazing. It is as big as a sea, but often the whole thing is a muddy brown, like an undulating sea of mud. It was a pretty poor substitute for a real ocean in my opinion. You can sail on it, but I don't think I ever went swimming.

It would be interesting (for me anyway) to go back to the Chicago area for a visit, but I don't think I'd live in the Midwest by choice.

-- Geoff K.

By Tlautrec on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 04:50 pm: Edit

My wife actually loves pastis, Henri Bardouin the best, but she'll gladly drink Pernod, which leads me to wonder why she refuses to drink, and is so opposed to absinthe ("it'll rot your mind" .... "it'll turn you into an alcoholic, or worse!"). Anyway, when we visited with Sabine and Petermarc in Paris early this summer, she and Sabine made common cause ("oh, those two bizarre fellows and their absinthe obsession .... harrumph!")

By String on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Are there enough people around for a chicago gathering?

By Verawench on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 02:38 pm: Edit

"It's as usual - women need two hours to finish one glass of absinthe even if they say they like the taste"

I love the taste of absinthe, but I credit that to growing up drinking all manners of herbal brews which served as home remedies...

Similarly, I am very attracted to any spicy, earthy, or herbal scent. I cannot stand "girlie" lotions and perfumes, with flowery or fruity scents. Hence my fondness of Ives St Laurent's Opium.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 01:55 pm: Edit

My Chilean girlfriend likes the absinthes she's tried, and she loves Berger and Anis Del Mono. Several of her amigas share her enthusiasm. Yet another good reason to live in South America! Then again, San Francisco, the UK and Oz also have their share of absintheuses.

Morrigan, how does your husband feel about absinthe?

By Petermarc on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 12:32 pm: Edit

there was a test made about what odors are attractive to women and men...the favorite smell for men was cinnamon and for women was cucumber and ---good and plenty's!...this would put women directly into the pastis/absinthe camp...not that i've personally noticed it...i'm sure this was an american test, as in france it might be goat-butt cheese or a bagette...

By Luger on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 11:58 am: Edit

"That would be at Joliet, home of the state prison."

Ah Artemis!
Now we know why you have been away for awhile :-)
"Chained to your work" eh?

Luger

By Heiko on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 11:58 am: Edit

It's as usual - women need two hours to finish one glass of absinthe even if they say they like the taste ("you're already having your third glass, oh my god... Look, I still haven't finished my first!" followed by a look that makes you feel like the worst alcoholic...)

My dad recently poured three glasses when I invited him, even he doesn't like the taste too much. He knew it was one of the rare chances for him to drink a little more without being critiziced by his wife ;-)

By Maxpower on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 11:47 am: Edit

my wife is the same way,she hates everything thing to with it.she has never,and will never taste it.so most of my imbibing is done after she i goes to bed,or at work.and likewise blames it for my questionable mental state.which was screwy before i ever drank a drop.

By Verawench on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 11:36 am: Edit

Interesting. Is the taste of absinthe/anise particularly appealing to the male sense of taste? Or is it one of those purely social things?

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 11:13 am: Edit

My wife refuses to even taste it, because she "hates licorice." And if I say or do anything wrong she says "that stuff is making you insane."

But every time I pour a glass, my 9-year-old daughter comes running and she insists on smelling it. Then she closes her eyes, tilts her head back, smiles, and sighs "Aaaaaahhhhh."

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 10:58 am: Edit

Thank's guys, now I don't feal so lonely anymore ;-). But it's not realy a "male vs female" thing. My girlfriend just can't stand the smell of anis from less than 10 meters! I also have a "female" friend who would kill for another sample of Jade's Edouard... And there's many women here in this forum... I guess we'r just unlucky or mayby it's because they are jealous of the green fairy.

By Artemis on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 10:53 am: Edit

Chiming in, at his request, on Petermarc's excursion into the land of maize and crows:

"Happily, the weather was grey, a good day …"

Indeed. The sound of rain is the best possible background music. I was very pleased "our" day dawned rainy. Horus made his presence known in the form of a formidable wind as well. I remember Sabine looking out the kitchen window in seemingly genuine fear at the wavering pear tree as the rain poured down. Nothing special about that, though, pretty common weather for northern Illinois this time of year

"construction on the 294, which split the highway in two sections"

Welcome to Chicago. In the winter, there's snow and ice. If it's not winter, they're working on the roads. Either way you have to allow extra time for travel. I had told Peter to allow an hour or two for travel to my house, but warned him it could take four or five hours if obstacles arose - he seemed incredulous at that - now he knows I wasn't kidding.

"we had a choice: 'ohio left, des moins, right"

That would be at Joliet, home of the state prison. Toledo (I pronounce it "too-lee-`doo") Ohio to the east. Des Moines, Iowa to the west. The other choice is to continue south. No avoiding hundreds of miles of cornfields no matter which way you go at that point.

"my wife thought it was funny…des moins means 'the monks'…I wondered how many people knew that, then figured most really didn't care"

As Sabine and I discussed later, Papillon is a suburb of Omaha. Nobody there knows or cares that it's "pa-pee-`yawn", a butterfly. If you don't say "puh-`pill-yun" they think *you're* the ignorant one.

"Sabine wondered what people do there"

The farmers grow corn. Almost everybody else works in some capacity which supports that effort. Most of the corn goes for feedstock, to be run up the foodchain in the form of ¼-pounders with cheese (or in France, Royale with cheese, according to John Travolta). Some of the corn is turned into corn syrup for candy, cheap American swill beer, etc.

"… or why they are there in the first place"

Coincidence, in my case. My work takes me to facilities that are almost always located in remote areas such as vast cornfields, forests, deserts, etc. Which suits me fine.

"until we pulled up to artemis's house and the next-door neighbor's kid got into his car and revved it up, under the impression that a lack of a muffler equaled cool"

He's worked very hard to make that rusty piece of crap as loud as it is.

"there's always some dumb-fuck like that in these towns…sadly for artemis, he lived next door"

Even more sadly, there is not just ONE dumb fuck in these towns; they are legion. That kid is not unique. Our tiny town is filled with his like, and with dogs chained to trees, under which they eat, bark and shit for twelve years until they die, largely unattended and unnoticed by their owners. I made a post last year in Suffering is Hip Forum about my appreciation for the deep snow that will soon cover that town - one of the reasons being the kwai-`ee-tus it puts upon auto travel (with and without mufflers) and the yapping dogs.

"artemis met us at the door with his wife…he had orange plugs in his ears, I wasn't sure if this was because of the noise or something else…he seemed to hear alright with them in, so I didn't say anything about it"

Thanks for bringing that embarrassing detail to the attention of the world. Because of the kid next door and his Mom's dog (see above), whenever I'm working at my computer, which I was when Peter drove up, the ear plugs rest in my ears, ready to be inserted at a moment's notice. That's why I could hear Peter, they were not inserted but merely staged at the threshold. But like eyeglasses raised to my forehead, I often forget they are there. I didn't realize it until we were seated in the kitchen later, at which time I removed them and hoped they had gone unnoticed. Bon chance. At least they were gone by the time Sabine took our portrait.

"and then, cats! I was saved! sabine loves cats and could be easily distracted by them"

Specifically, Ra's Bouhaki, Gabbirella, Karmen, Three-Spot Maudite, and Squeak. Squeak is the most talented with his front feet, and he wasted no time untying Sabine's blouse. Well, it was only her sleeve, but his heart was in the right place.

"as we talked about 'absinthe' (said with an annoyed french accent)"

I was tickled that I kept trying to pronounce French words in what I considered to be a "proper" French way, as opposed to the way my Cajun parents did, and Sabine kept correcting me - to the Cajun pronunciation!! - (the cat is not "mow-`deet", he's "moo-`dee, etc.) Apparently Cajuns are not as bumpkin as I'd been led to believe.

"artemis had red suspenders on, which I later found out were a tribute to Justin Wilson…I guess it was his way to respect the man and 'gaar-run-tee' an interesting tasting…or they could have just been holding up his pants"

I wear them to hold up my pants in any case, but I have various colors - I wore the red as a tribute to Justin - red braces were his trademark.

"can you confirm that Artemis was wearing braces as opposed to cross dressing"

Yes, braces ("brrahss", said Sabine). However, I'm reminded of "Repo Man" (one of the best movies of all time), wherein the little weird guy enrages his blue collar cohorts by relating the story of how he went to John Wayne's house to do some menial work, and the American Icon answered the door wearing a dress.

"his wife was annoyed, she was sure a worthless employee was going to call in, and she would have to cover…I think she was with us for only 30 minutes"

Yes, that employee's habits are all too predictable. She decided to go to work eventually, allowing my wife to come home - about 60 seconds after Peter and Sabine drove away. She had been intimidated at the thought of a globe-trotting absintheur in the house and she shares not an iota of my interest in absinthe (I can barely get her to smell it, let alone taste it), so she wasn't entirely disappointed to miss our tasting, but she did enjoy her brief visit with Sabine amidst the cats.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 10:27 am: Edit

same here..my girlfriend thinks we are all silly for being so fascinated with this stuff..she also refers to the forum as a "bed of vipers"

kinda telling..

By Zman7 on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 10:09 am: Edit

I understand about the wife thing. My wife won't even call it absinthe, she just calls it "that drink you drink" when she means absinthe.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 09:32 am: Edit

ah, the pain of a not-so-shared language...the former is confirmed...the latter is just cheeky of you...

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 04:01 am: Edit

and for the benefit of us Brits can you confirm that Artemis was wearing braces as opposed to cross dressing?

By Absinthedrinker on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 03:52 am: Edit

To quote another forumite in a personal email to me: "what is it with wives and absinthe, they sure don't mix" How true, mine refers to us as the 'absinthe anoraks'.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 11:36 pm: Edit

correct and almost correct...but she does try it, i think to humor me...

By Aion on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Peter,
am I right to assume, that your wife doesn´t share your absinthe enthusiasm (not to say she
hates everything absinthe related)?
A.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 07:41 pm: Edit

My guess is original Berger at the right and Ted's Berger at the left...Am I right ?

By Petermarc on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 03:10 pm: Edit

My wife hates the country…if I were to try and pull a ‘green acres’ on her, it wouldn’t be
‘gooodbye, ceety life,’ but more like ‘have fun the with sheep, pitchfork-boy.’ I have plants on my balcony, she lets them dry up when I’m gone and then wants to get new ones…when confronted with our first full day on the north shore, she was informed that we would be taking my brother’s car south, past Chicago, to the country…we were going to meet another ‘absinthe person’…she was not thrilled. Happily, the weather was grey, a good day for driving or being indoors…we would do a bit of both…there was construction on the 294, which split the highway in two sections, construction in the middle… those with the ‘IPASS’ could zip through the tolls on the left while the peons who had to actually put coins in the basket were regulated to the right…ah, electronic power! It felt good…I stayed in the left lane and watched as my exit came up and could not move over to the right…we cruised past the interchange and
were forced to go where I didn’t want to for an extra half hour..so much for my taste of power…I made a point at my wife’s insistence to stay in the right lane as to not miss the next exit…she was right, we would have been screwed again…we were in the ‘I’ corridor of the the Midwest; surrounded by states that begin with ‘I.’ no way easily out but, we had a choice: ‘ohio left, des moins, right’…my wife thought it was funny…des moins means ‘the monks’…I wondered how many people knew that, then figured most really didn’t care…we headed toward the monks…artemis lives in what I consider a ‘suburb of the freeway’…one of thousands of towns that are near nowhere, that are only identifiable by their exit sign, since the restaurants (except one, usually designated by the owner's first name) and gas stations that line the area right off the freeway are all the same…sabine wondered what people do there, or why they are there in the first place…I knew…I lived in places like this before…you think it’s nothing until you are there…then you know people, you know it has a soul, that it has a right to exist just as paris, new york, London…it is different, that’s all, in many cases, better, but you forget that quickly when it starts snowing and don’t appreciate it until you move away…there was a train direct to Chicago, it wasn’t so far…there were tree-lined streets, one 4-way stop, everything seemed less stressful… until we pulled up to artemis’s house and the next-door neighbor’s kid got into his car and revved it up, under the impression that a lack of a muffler equaled cool…there’s always some dumb-fuck like that in these towns…sadly for artemis, he lived next door…it didn’t last long … artemis met us at the door with his wife…he had orange plugs in his ears, I wasn’t sure if this was because of the noise or something else…he seemed to hear alright with them in, so I didn’t say anything about it… and then, cats! I was saved! sabine loves cats and could be easily distracted by them as we talked about 'absinthe'(said with an annoyed french accent)…artemis had red suspenders on, which I later found out were a tribute to Justin Wilson…I guess it was his way to respect the man and ‘gaar-run-tee’ an interesting tasting…or they could have just been holding up his pants…his wife was annoyed, she was sure a worthless employee was going to call in, and she would have to cover…I think she was with us for only 30 minutes…

By Verawench on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Exquisite as ever - but where is the tale?

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 05:15 pm: Edit

Still waiting for the text. I assume one of these is Ted's Berger clone?

By Tlautrec on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Friend Peter-

Your lovely pictures warm our hearts after a week of stress and horror.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 04:16 pm: Edit

bergerbr
berger aft

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation