La Fee, Oxygenee, and Pontarlier Available

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: La Fee, Oxygenee, and Pontarlier Available
By Verawench on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 08:21 pm: Edit

"Can ya do me a favor, and let Betty post her little announcements without pissing and moaning about it?"

The troll's missing in action, who else we gonna pick on? *pout*

By Royale on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 02:20 pm: Edit

There is a tragically named baby store in hollywood called Sid's

By Chevalier on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 11:26 am: Edit

Chile's most popular homegrown soft drinks: "Bilz" and "Pap".

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 09:35 am: Edit

'Ramble on, Ooo baby, I gotta ramble on'

...Richard Nixon's "Committee to Re-Elect the President", CREEP.

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 08:49 am: Edit

There was a heating oil company near me, called Homes Oil Company, who briefly changed their name to HomOCo.

My mother worked for a hospital in Virginia Beach which was going to call their new clinic the Ocean-Front Urgent Care Center, until someone envisioned people answering the phones "OFUCC, can I help you?"

Now I'm just rambling...

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 08:24 am: Edit

Sometimes the name works fine for years and then circumstances change it's meaning. Anybody remember "Ayds" the diet snack? Sales took a sudden dive in the 1980s.

By Geoffk on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 07:02 am: Edit

It works the other way too. A famous brand of french underwear for men is "Homowear" (although that could have a market after all...) In Japan Porcari Sweat is a sports drink and Colon is a small cookie/biscuit. Porcari Sweat is named that way because it is supposed to replace your own sweat. I don't have an explanation for Colon (and it is little cylinders--i.e. colon shaped too.)

-- Geoff K.

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 06:47 am: Edit

In China, "Coke Adds Life" became "Coke Brings Your Ancestors Back From The Dead".

By Wormwood on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 04:43 am: Edit

You thinks that bad marketing.

There is an American car that used to be marketed in Spanish speaking countries called the "Chevy Nova". No va means "won't go" in Spanish. "Mi Chevy Nova" = my Chevy won't start.

Frank Perdue had the slogan a while back: "it takes a tough man to make a tender chicken". So when he tried to sell his chickens in Puerto Rico his people just pulled out the Spanish dictonary and translated that slogan word for word and put the new "Spanish slogan" on billboards all over the country.
In Puerto Rico a "tough man" is a horny guy, and a "tender chicken" is a young girl or a virgin, so you can pretty much figure out what Frank's new signs were telling the island.

By Aion on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 03:25 am: Edit

Actually I didn´t see this video,
maybe he meant: increasing tension or suspense,
something like:

"Vom Beginn zum Ende ansteigender Spannungsbogen",
Heiko please translate this term, I´m not able to.

A.

By Heiko on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 03:04 am: Edit

I've seen the video once and also wondered what he meant by "rising action"...

I can't think of any German translation that would make sense. On the other hand, the guy doesn't exactly look like a musical expert, more like someone you would ask how to train your bizeps ;-)
(but of course he might as well play the violin - one never knows...)

By Chrysippvs on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 07:27 pm: Edit

I have a question for the germans here. On a recent music video for Cake they are randomly getting people to listen to the song and give their comments. Near the end they interview a german guy and he says something to the effect of "It rocked, but I missed the "rising action." He repeats that odd term "rising action" and it has confused since then. Any idea, fellow Germans, what he may have meant in saying a song lacked a "rising action." I am sure you can DL the video from morpheus or aimster if you want to see the guy and hear exactly what he said...

any ideas?

- J

By Heiko on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Justin,

the Engrish page is great, thanks for the link.

btw. Engrish also exists in Germany - for example we have frozen pizza that's called "Big Americans"...
And from time to time you can see commercials that make you think "why didn't they just ask a native speaker of English before they aired this shit??"

btw. there's a Nissan car that's called "Pajero" in most European countries - not anymore in Spain after they found out "pajero" means something like "wanker" in Spanish ;-)

By Admin on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 12:46 pm: Edit

*snort!*

By Bob_Chong on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 12:15 pm: Edit

But does she have IKON EON cd's for sale yet?

By Admin on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 11:06 am: Edit

Can ya do me a favor, and let Betty post her little announcements without pissing and moaning about it? Yer not saying anything new or anything everyone hasn't heard 3249584576 times before.

The Management

By Tlautrec on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 10:57 am: Edit

At the risk of subjecting myself to Chonger's flames, I will attest to the efficiency and reliability of Betina's service. Her prices are very high, though, and now that I know about SC, I certainly wouldn't buy any of the more easily available Spanish products from her. However, she does provide a valuable service in making available some products that otherwise wouldn't be available to me, such as her la Bleue, which is excellent. For us here in the States, unless one can prevail upon a good friend in Europe (presuming one has such) to travel to the Val de Travers, find the stuff, and then ship it here, she's about the only show in town. Doc also has a la Bleue, but IMHO, Betina's is better. So let's lighten up on Betina, eh, gang?

By Geoffk on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 06:55 am: Edit

This is another case where the posted opinion in the Buyer's Guide seems to differ quite a bit from the received opinion on the forum (the review of Mari Mayans is another). The offical view on the forum seems to be that SC or going to Europe are the only preferred ways to order by mail. However, the Buyer's guide lists Betina as RECOMMENDED and has nothing but praise for fast service and lack of customs hassles.

Personally, I've never ordered from her and I live out of the US anyway, so I probably wouldn't, but if everyone feels (for whatever reason) that she's a ripoff artist, we should be a bit more forthcoming in the buyers guide. Not everyone reads all the back posts in the forum before they make their first order.

-- Geoff K.

By Wormwood on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 04:54 am: Edit

Why is everyone giving Betina such a hard time.

She only stated they were "available" from her, she didn't mislead anyone and state they were "available at a reasonable price".

By Heiko on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 01:14 am: Edit

Bob,

Up to now I didn't even know I could order Pontarlier Anis in Germany (until Andy told me recently).

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 10:26 pm: Edit

I was just hoping that there would someday be a European forum member to take up the noble tradition of being a "head-stash dealer" (e.g., buy three bottles, send two to der Vereinigen Staten, and keep a bottle for free, for your "head," so to speak...not to be confused with the forums Ersatz-Kopf). This is a honorable method of supporting one's habits, but perhaps it is a lost art.

We now live in the Age of Bettina, when the slaughter of innocents is a great reason to raise fears and to rationalize the 600% mark-ups. I defectate in her general direction.

BC

By Aion on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 09:26 pm: Edit

"Heiko? Aion? Any of you Europeans taking orders yet?"

Bob, that won´t solve the problem.
We have to "force" SC to sell that stuff (and the upcoming Pontarlier Absinthe even more - nobody knows where to get it from today).
It would be in their interest to offer these products, as with the availability (or upcoming) better products, the sale of products like Lasala and MM and maybe Deva as well will drop.
A.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Just contact them. I dont speak French so I have to use a translator program so not only is it moeny for them but also a laugh...like engrish or something...

BTW everyone check out www.engrish.com it is pure linguistic hillarity.

Ordering is just a bank transfer away..

By Absinthespoon on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 06:58 pm: Edit

The Vinotheque site does not seem to provide a way to order outside the EU. Am I missing something?

>G/ SECTEURS GÉOGRAPHIQUES DE VENTE:
>Sélections proposées à la vente pour la France et la Communauté Européenne.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 12:12 pm: Edit

No, Betty, Vietnam had zero effect on any international or US domestic shipping pattern, other than occupied body bags moving RVN to Stateside.

You are a fear-monger. Shove it.

If I had to chose between the security of the United States and my personal loss of $50,000 if this killed JL, which one do you think I would choose?

And I remain committed to JL.

I do not call you a long list of expletives.

Ted has asked me to be polite to you.

If you feel deprived, email me privately and I will give you all the explitives you crave.

Cha cha

D.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 11:22 am: Edit

"Import liquor license..not social security number is accepted."

That is strange as he has gotten over 5 different parcels from them using virutally random numbers. Matter of fact I think he has used his social and his phone number as the import code and he has gotten everything with no problems...

"Pontarlier absinthe" Ok, I never said it was.

"see how fast and if your shipment arrives at all"

A shipment from spain was shipped on monday the 10th and get here only a few days late. The same with another from france, and a bottle of pon sec from a friend of mine in germany. I have had no problems with shipping and I really don't think anyone will excepting those that went though when the airlines and borders were frozen 2 weeks ago.

Chong? Don? you guys are older than me, did Vietnam etc tie up parcels and increase postal inspections?

Like I said there is shady about using a national tragedy to try and scare people into a sale.

BTW What am I twisting? I am not sure I get that one.

- Justin S.

By Betina on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 10:41 am: Edit

Justin,
You twist everything...Pontarlier absinthe is not yet created or available for sale. Import liquor license..not social security number is accepted. You ripped me off on the refund for the glass. Then you threatened to call authorities when I did not return it after I received much less back from you than I paid. A huge chip..you know the truth.
No fear tactics..just the real truth..see how fast and if your shipment arrives at all. See how fast the English and Czech vendors refund or replace smashed or lost shipments..as always they do not even have the courtesy to answer the customr's e-mail if there is any problem.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 08:07 am: Edit

"Now that you do not sell anything you criticize the other vendors.."

Be Nice Betty...I didn't critize you or anyone else. I actually called you "great" in my post.

"To any of who obtain these absinthes...I congratulate you as some are very difficult to find and/or transport..it ain't easy. And now with the world situation it is going to be even more difficult..."

The last time I checked Western Europe was a good shot from the Steppes of Russia..

I just ordered three bottles of Ponsec and some oxygenee recently for less than 200 dollars. anyone can do that, La vinoteque (http://www.vinotheque-thonon.com/catalogue/breuvab.htm) can send it state-side. A friend of mine just figured out if you use your SS# as your "tax ID" they will send it, he even used his telephone number the other week.

Betty please don't use the comming storm and the horror of this attack to boost sales and inspire fear, that is no different than the tactics that ran gas prices up 5.00 dollars a gallon a week ago.

As for that glass I sold it to a very nice antique dealer who said it was in prestine shape. I never could find that chip myself...

- J

By Bob_Chong on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 12:00 am: Edit

Three bottles of Ponsec plus shipping anywhere within Europe is $87 total. (Just for reference.)

By Bob_Chong on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Pontalier/Ponsec is $19 per bottle retail.
http://www.narbey.com/pontarlier/index.html

Yeah, this website only ships within Europe, but for the 600% markup Betty is certain to offer, I'm sure you could find someone else to help you out.

Heiko? Aion? Any of you Europeans taking orders yet?

BC

By Bob_Chong on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 11:42 pm: Edit

No, I was being facetious. Betty is Betty.

Her fearmongering is alive and well. It is her signature. Her trade secret. Her competitive advantage.

BC

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Someone else pretending to be Betty?

Now there's a new wrinkle.

By Bob_Chong on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 11:15 pm: Edit

TROLL ALERT.

By Betina on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Gee Chrissiupis,
You are the one who tried to sell me a bottle of Oxygenee for $150 when I could not obtain it, only a few months ago..along with the chipped glass which you would not fully refund.
Now that you do not sell anything you criticize the other vendors..wasn't your Swiss $150? Hmmm..
To any of who obtain these absinthes...I congratulate you as some are very difficult to find and/or transport..it ain't easy. And now with the world situation it is going to be even more difficult...

By Heiko on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 02:14 pm: Edit

La Fée ~30-40 Euro
Oxygénée ~15 Euro
Ponsec (btw. the new Pontarlier absinthe) ~30-40 Euro.

That is what I'd pay - otherwise, screw it.
I can get Segarra for 40 Euro a bottle and that's the limit for non-Jade ;-)

But there are people who pay 40 Euro for a bottle of Hill's on Ebay, so don't worry Betty, some are going to buy, I'm sure...

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 01:31 pm: Edit

all depends on if if you want to pay twice the domestic price for the stuff. If it is worth it to you then Betty is great. I just don't think la fee, Oxy, and Ponsec are worth more than 50 bucks a bottle total with shipping...but that is me.

By Verawench on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 01:28 pm: Edit

I'm sure Betty's prices do not make these products any more "accessible", now that we have them States-side.

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 01:07 pm: Edit

really?

Don't pull our leg Betty :)

By Betina on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 11:40 am: Edit

BETINA ELIXIRS now announces the availability of both La Fee and Oxygenee, and reservations are being inscribed for Pontarlier Absinthe. Two types of Swiss La Bleue and the full spectrum of Spanish absinthes and antiques can,also, be obtained for your imbibing pleasure....

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation