Review of Tabu 73 (second post)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Review of Tabu 73 (second post)
By Wolfgang on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Our predictions becomes reality, there`s more and more better absinthe comming on the market...Whouhou!

(and finaly I found a way to appreciate Versinthe...with a little bit of citrus it cut`s down the sugar, not bad.)

By Chevalier on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 11:16 am: Edit

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how an absinthe spoon can make any headway into the glass on the right. Seems like an awfully tight fit. ; )

By Heiko on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 11:16 am: Edit

I found Tabu to taste a little like HB pastis (at least it had more similarities with HB than with any absinthe). Same for (I take the risk of saying the forbidden word) effect. More similarity to pastis than to any absinthe in that respect as well. Somehow it didn't taste or feel absinthe-like at all. Therefore I decided to buy HB pastis instead of Tabu from then on (same price but HB is a little better in taste).

Now there's hope for Tabu, it seems (except for the label - who'd want to drink from such a bottle???).

By Germanandy on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 10:48 am: Edit

this is the new bottle (not released until yet).
Tabu73
and the other tabu has 55% alk, sorry ian ;-)

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 09:09 am: Edit

As long as you're already in contact with this guy, would you mind asking if they will be set up to ship to the US and or deal with SC?

Thanks!

BC

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 07:46 am: Edit

Apologies if this comes out twice but the first attempt seems to have got zapped by the server.

Over the past month or so I have been corresponding with Felix Rauter GmbH the manufacturers of Tabu absinth in Germany. They wanted some antiques for an exhibition they are planning to mark the launch of a new 'classic strength' absinthe next year. In their promotional materials they mention that they first made absinthe in 1853 which came as a surprise to me as I did not know absinthe had such a long tradition east of the Rhine. I will quote Joerg Tragert's reply verbatim.

'Felix Rauter has founded our company 1853. He had developed two products: a
mixture of Wormwood and anis and another bitter-sweet herb-mixture called
"Bergalter" for the stomach. In those days it was allowed to advertise
spirits as medicine. Unfortunately in WW2 our company and lots of material
were totally destroyed as we are hosted in an industrial area in Essen
(Ruhrgebiet) were Krupp-steel has it's roots, too.
But we could find some advertisings from those days, where we were looking
for fresh wormwood for making the extracts and some old bottles from pottery
and some memorabilia.

In WW1 German soldiers used it to calm down in the trenches - of cause it
was forbidden. So even Germany has an old absinthe tradition, to my mind
more than Spain Czechoslovakia or Denmark who had only the good luck that
wormwood was not forbidden in that countries. But in Germany it was not used
as a lifestyle drink (as Germans typically do not have that "savoir vivre"),
It was used more as a drug (because of the high degree of alcohol) or as
household remedy / medicine for the common well-being.'

As I had not had the chance to try Tabu, Joerg was generous enough to send me a bottle, together with one of the first samples of their new traditional absinthe, naturally coloured and at 72% alcohol. The currently available Tabu is 45% and sweetened, it is very different to the Spanish style absinthes and reminds me of Punt e Mes or a cough mixture that I had as a child (but a nice cough mixture!). I doubt whether there are many vintage German absinthes around but it would be interesting to see whether the distinctive taste was something that was part of the tradition. The classic version I got was a prototype and one of the first to be released. It is unsweetened but I still prefer to drink it without sugar, the taste is an evolution from the original and better because it is drier. Both versions have a distinctive louche although the classic version is slightly muddy probably because the colouring step is still being worked out (I had the first coloured sample made). I hold high hopes of the new product although I hope that the label design is given some thought, the current one leaves a lot to be desired!

Tabu 45 and 73 before addition of water

tabu1

Tabu 45 and 73 after addition of water

tabu2

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation