Madness, Simply Uncouthmanlike

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Madness, Simply Uncouthmanlike
By Petermarc on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 12:24 pm: Edit

actually, losange and diamond are the same thing...this pattern is listed in marie-claude's book, but under 'les publicitaires récentes'...this one does not have any advertising on it...it is stretching it to sell it this way, but, hey, that's a sales-man!... they also used this spoon pattern in the film 'moulin rouge' (not that there's anything right with that, ask justin who had to scrape burnt sugar off a real, rare round spoon used in the film)some are more square, and they are called
'carré'...pernod 45 is a pastis...

i received an e-mail about pernod S.A. with the thought that S.A.
meant 'sans alcohol' i.e. no alcohol ...it is a french term 'societé anonyme' used to indicate
'incorporated',(inc.) i believe would be a good translation...my office uses these intitials after it's name...i didn't know what it meant until i found an absinthe label with it spelled out on it...i thought it was a cool distiller trying to be 'anonymous'...wrong...
'absinthe anonyme' hmmmm...those initials are tough...

By Tavarua on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 10:41 am: Edit

“even none of them has anything to do with absinthe...”

This is my point. A vintage Absinthe kit is a world away from a Vintage Pastis kit. When you misidentify such an item, you are putting it in an entirely different time frame. I am no expert, but the glasses are pastis glasses, and that is a pastis carafe, I could be wrong but I believe Pernod 45 is a pastis. Now look at the spoon description, “TWO FINE LES LOSANGES or DIAMOND Pattern ABSINTHE SPOONS”, which of those do you think you will receive. Yes they are in good condition, but if they are repros, what does that matter. He has already misidentified the set, why not go for the gold and through in a Delahaye’s reference?

If he said “Vintage Pastis Set”, fine, good deal, I guess it is worth while to pick it up if you are into collecting Pastis pieces, but he didn’t.

By Heiko on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 10:05 am: Edit

Well, if it's 10.50$, it's not a bad deal. The glasses are nice, the caraffe as well - even none of them has anything to do with absinthe...

btw. it doesn't claim the glasses or spoons are vintage - only the caraffe (and that definitely is vintage 1960's). The spoons are "Losanges according to Delahayes book", that's right, they are "in very good condition" - that's right as well. Nobody said they were old...

I'd take the set for 15USD or something like that, but I never bid on Ebay...

By Zman7 on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 10:05 am: Edit

Sarcasm duly noted....;)

By Tavarua on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 05:45 am: Edit

Hey everyone, don’t miss this deal. A “vintage” Pernod 45 carafe and two Les Losanges, (or you might get “diamond pattern”) spoons that, “according to Delahaye’s Book” are “ in very good condition”. Wow, someone sure is going to get the E-bay deal of the century.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1010265823

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation