Dracula Land

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Dracula Land
By Verawench on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:26 pm: Edit

..or absinthe's least documented side effect.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Diamond tears are a girl's best absinthe.

By Etienne on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:05 pm: Edit

The Absinthe scene is very fine. Sad that it has dealers on eBay advertising absinthe as being the next favorite drink of vampires.

By Etienne on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Coppolla made a fine film, I own a copy, but he took some MAJOR liberties with the book. The love story, reincarnation of Vlad's princess... NOT in the original. Lucy being portrayed as a hot little Victorian whatever. In the novel, they were two sweet innocent English girls, pure as the driven snow.

I love the movie, however it is Francis Ford Coppolla's Dracula, not Bram Stokers Dracula.

By Verawench on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 08:18 am: Edit

Screw Keanu Reeves' fake accent from hell, I'm still damn impressed with Coppolla's film. He did EXACTLY what Symbolist artists of the fin de siecle would have done with a vampire flick had they the technology. Some of the film's scenes are based directly on Symbolist painting and illustration; and the absinthe scene is lovely as well.

By Matei on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 08:02 am: Edit

... and it is Romanian, not "rumanian" or "roumanian"!!!

Vampires don't even have a large role in Romanian folklore anyhow. Next door, in Serbia, one finds more vampire-related myths.

Ahh, the whole thing really gets me annoyed. At least Coppola (sp?) used Romanian speaking actors in his film. Nothing worse than seeing a film that supposedly takes place in Ardeal (Transilvania) and the "natives" speak a made-up language...

By Matei on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 07:34 am: Edit

It is crap like this Dracula-land that makes Romania a laughing stock. I believe it would be better if people were to visit the country and learn about the real history (Vlad Tepes, not Stoker's novel).

Vlad Tepes is a national hero to the Romanians - people don't realize that he was cruel because the Turks were pretty brutal themselves. A lot of what he did is distorted in the west, thanks to the whole Dracula thing.

Don't get me wrong - Stoker wrote a good novel, it is just that it has nothing to do with Romania.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 09:24 am: Edit

Che, Dr. Ordinaire ... we were practically neighbors. I was in Buenos Aires the week of September 17. I couldn't quite see Patagonia from my table at the Café Tortoni, so I didn't wave you over for a drink; pero bueno.

Good luck with Argentina's chantada brand of red tape. Make yourself heard over its din ("El que no llora no mama"); don't forget that stressing out is as "inútil como cenicero de moto"; and the next time you're west of the Río de la Plata, let's have some combustibles.

By Maxpower on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 08:42 am: Edit

the whole idea seems extra cheesy to me.not even good cheese either,more like powdered,processed tyoe cheese

By Tavarua on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 05:38 am: Edit

With slogans like "The suckiest place on earth!" and "we suck", Iíve already booked my flight.

By Bob_Chong on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 05:20 am: Edit

Doc O:

I bet "blocks" usu. equals itchy palms, no? The nations you speak of are like the bum in the street who, upon receiving an (undeserved) dollar from you immediately asks, "Got another one?" This happens with surprising regularity.

BC

By Dr_Ordinaire on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Hi sweet Vera! Hi all!

Been in Patagonia for 3 weeks, trying to get going a forestry project.

How come the countries that most need foreign investment are the ones that put most blocks to it? And we are talking trees, not frigging bank deposits! It's not that you can take them with you at a moment notice...

Sheesh...

By Verawench on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Dr. O!!! Where ya been???? Look, Head, he's alive! :D

By Geoffk on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 08:11 pm: Edit

And coming to Kabul in 2200 A.D. "Bin Laden Terrorist Summer Camp". Learn to fly an antique airliner (into buildings). Fire a real antique Kalishnikov and morter.

Fun for the whole family!

-- Geoff K.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Yeah more hands on types.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 07:47 pm: Edit

"Bathory was pretty insane as well...I think she is ranked as the second most murderous person in history. Right below Behram from the old Thugee cult of Indiana Jones lore"

Justin, I assume you're talking about the ranking of "amateur" murderers, that is those who murdered people in the five to six digits range.

Then there must be a "professional" ranking for the likes of Stalin, Hitler, Mao and Pol Pot. (I'm not sure about "Bomber" Harris sp?. Was it he who incinerated Dresden?)

By Mr_Rabbit on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Draculaland- come get pricked!

Please note that unfortunately, the loveable characters here at Draculaland(tm) are not available for group or family photos, due to an unfortunate inability to show up on film.

Etchings are available upon request.

Also, please remember to conceal any and all religious symbols upon your person from view at all times.

Finally, take note that the waiver all guests must sign before entering Draculaland(tm) absolves Draculaland(tm), it's subsidiaries, employees, and stockholders, from any and all liablity resulting from missing relatives, loss of bodily fluids, and the guest's state of life/death/undeath upon leaving Draculaland(tm.)

Enjoy your stay!

By Verawench on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 03:28 pm: Edit

"The suckiest place on earth!"

By Uncle on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 03:28 pm: Edit

There slogan should be Draculaland "we suck". sorry.

By Heiko on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 02:34 pm: Edit

How about a Green Fairy theme park in Pontarlier?

LOL

By Mr_Rabbit on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Universal studios has a copyright on an image that old? And the gall to be that pricky?

I swear by all that is unholy, if I had the means, I would stake every studio executive there, and leave them for the sun!

There is some debate, too, because not only does Romania want a park, the last living (known) descendant of good old Vlad wants to open one. He was, however, adopted, so the blood of the Impaler isn't actually running through his veins.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 01:45 pm: Edit

It was indeed more of a political war rather than a full fledged war at that time. But the borders of Wallachia and moreso of present day Modlova constanty shifted during Mircea the Olds time and of Vlad and of Vlad himself. It is well known that Vlad's brother Radu (was he Radu the handsome?) sold him out to the Turks in an attempt to prevent the constant strife there. It was also well known that the area of Wallachia was worthless more or less and that Vlad only ruled it in principle. He was hated by both sides, thought of as a papist by the Orthodoxy (hence his execution of the priests at shighishoara and at Tirgovishte(sp?). Not that I am saying that the Turkish invaders were any better, but certainly old Vlad had some serious serious problems.

Despite the sources I am pretty inclined to accept the atrocities of Vlad if only on a smaller scale. It seems that he is great for ancedotes rather than history in many cases.

Bathory was pretty insane as well...I think she is ranked as the second most murderous person in history. Right below Behram from the old Thugee cult of Indiana Jones lore...

Tanist and Karcist..those are obscure terms..I have not seen "Karcist" outside of RPG manuals and perhaps some really obscure occult works...you really are a strange fiction..such eldritch words...speaking of which I am hopefully going to procure a first English edition of Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy (1651). Now that is a tome that should be in every Arkham and Whaetly library...

By Bob_Chong on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 01:35 pm: Edit

I am still waiting for Head Prosthesis Land...(which would be, in fact, best rendered by Disney, believe it or not...)

By Don_Walsh on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Justin, your ref to the Turks captured by Vlad's forces as POW's is an anachronism.

I believe he was half a millenium before the relevant conventions, and his actions were not inconsistent with those of his enemies.

The Saracens made it all the way to Venice, lest we forget, and the Venetians cut deals with them to keep from being sacked -- which moved James Blish, for example, to describe Venice as 'only technically Christian since the 15th century' in his wonderful 'Black Easter' which I hope, as a tanist or wannabe Karcist, you perhaps have read?

Now for a legitimate monster of the region and time I'd vote for the princess in Hungary who used to bathe in the blood of virgins (who of course she had exsanguined for the purpose) in order to preserve her youth and beauty.

She didn't drink it as far as I know, she just bathed in it.

No politics, no christendom vs Islam, just bloodlust for the sake of immortality (putative anyway).

By Verawench on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 10:53 am: Edit

See my profile pic!

I am grateful to Mr. Coppolla for suggesting that Dracula seduced his girls with absinthe.

By Chrysippvs on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 10:36 am: Edit

yep...history is written by the victors.

By _Blackjack on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 09:55 am: Edit

Vlad, Vlad, Vlad the Impaler!
He could have been a tailor,
Could have been a whaler,
He turned out to be Norman Mailer...

He's...so...glad...he's...VLAAAAAAAD!

By _Blackjack on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 09:52 am: Edit

The funny bit is, _Dracula_ wasn't translated into Rumanian until after the cold war, so most folks there were totally unaware of the whole thing until the tourists started showing up...

"Nikolai, why are all these pale American women in black coming to see the old castle?"

By Admin on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 09:29 am: Edit

Despite the many views that we have of Vlad or Dracula, the Romanian people consider him a national hero who drove back the Turks from their borders ... genocide notwithstanding.

By Heiko on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 09:22 am: Edit

"If they still have that Carmilla Cunnilingus Coaster, i'm there."

No, it's closed. The guy who ran it went to the States. I heard he owns a nightclub in Vegas now ;-)

By Chrysippvs on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 08:51 am: Edit

You should have to cross the forest of the impaled to get to it. I wonder if Germany will, in 500 years, set up a Himmler or Heidrich theme park. People forget that Voivode Vlad "Tzepesh" or as the Turks called him "Kaziglu Bey" executed thousands of people aside form those turks which were of course POWs. He even liquidated villages in order to have enough people for his ghoulish forest of the impaled. I know most of what we know comes from German (hostile to Vlad) sources but the reality is that this guy was a psychopathic individual who was tortured as a child and grew up to to do likewise in return.

A Theme park...how about Holocaust Land in Poland we can have a rollercoaster that goes through the showers into the furnace and up 150' through the chimmney...

It is funny how a few hundred years can change a psychopathic tyrant who ruled less than 5 years total into a amusement park...

By Verawench on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 08:18 am: Edit

If they still have that Carmilla Cunnilingus Coaster, i'm there.

By Emmy on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 07:28 am: Edit

i heard about this a few months ago. forgot about it, heh.

By Aion on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 12:18 am: Edit

Nice little town, take a look at:
http://www.ici.ro/romania/cities/sighisoara.html
A.

PS
What about:
"HP Lovecraft´s Arkham Adventure Town - Cthulhu´s
presence guaranteed - free copy of Necronomicon
for every visitor"

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Someone hacked the BBC site. Right?
Tell me this isn't true.

By Aion on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 11:36 pm: Edit

"replacing Mickey Mouse ears with vampire fangs ..."
Sounds like that movie with Leslie Nielsen playing Dracula. Funny vampires?! Brrr..

Looks like another myth is in danger to be ruined.
Time to visit Romania *before* that park opens.

And what comes next,
"The Lestat Adenture Park" in NOLA??

A.

By Admin on Sunday, September 30, 2001 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Am I the last to know? Does everyone know about this and just assumed I would too?

Romania is opening a new theme park, Dracula Land

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1429000/1429556.stm

Apparently they just ran into a snag, Universal Studios is claiming copyright on the image and is wrangling with them over it.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation