Laughing Dylan + absinthe bottle-dragging + September 11 = ???

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Laughing Dylan + absinthe bottle-dragging + September 11 = ???
By Chevalier on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 04:15 pm: Edit

On my list: Peter Gabriel, from Genesis onward.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 09:14 am: Edit

IMO the one of the most interesting female singers around is Cerys Matthews of Catatonia. That thick Welsh accent mixed with the high pitched shriek of a cat being strangled sounds fabulous.

Hobgoblin

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 08:49 pm: Edit

"It's almost as bad as people who scream and ballyhoo during ballads and soft songs at a wide array of live shows."

Kinda like when Fred D. blurts out "I'm feelin' those lighters" during Staind's song OUTSIDE

Totally ruin'd it for me...

By Anatomist1 on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 08:40 pm: Edit

I've probably mentioned this here before, but I saw Waits in Chicago on the last tour and was woefully disappointed. His voice was almost completely shot. All he had left was a thin, whispery rasp and a low growl. There were almost no actual notes in his singing, and the vocal subtleties evident in all his studio recordings were completely absent. The presentation of many of the songs was cool, but the banter/stories between songs was practically canned. Having read reviews of prior shows and seen him on the Letterman show I recognized most of it word for word.

The worst part of it all was the way people in the audience were ostentatiously competing to haw and guffaw at his every whim, and yell first and loudest in recognition of some of the older, more obscure songs he played. I wish more people would go to shows to listen instead of prove how cool and in the know they are. Unfortunately, I suspect this latter phenomenon happens when any artist becomes a living icon.

(It's almost as bad as people who scream and ballyhoo during ballads and soft songs at a wide array of live shows. Why the fuck are these people there? What worse time could there be to say "Hey everybody, look at me!" in the most obnoxious possible way? Unfortunately, the psychic turbulence surrounding telling people to shut up, or punching them, or cutting their throats generally disrupts enjoyment of the show more than just ignoring them.)

I love his music and agree that he's one of the best lyricists ever, but I'd never drop another $50 on a ticket to one of his shows that was that large or near the end of a tour again.

K.

By Barsnake on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 10:40 am: Edit

Interesting thought regarding female singers. Stated digging thru the ole brainbank...Only two that come to mind are Patty Smith and Laurie Anderson - both good to listen to, but not great vocal talent. On the girly-band bubblegum side there's always Joan Jett.
Among the great stylists are Rickie Lee Jones and for my money Joni Mitchell. Also, if you can find her - check out Annette Peacock

By Barsnake on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 09:01 am: Edit

I was just gonna mention Leon Rebone - He's great even tho he did sell out for soap commercials - oh well...Always think of the Warner Bros. singing frog cartoon - & Big Chief Buffalo Nickel...
thanks for reminding me Etienne
- To Bob Chong -
Lancaster area getting bigger, smoggier, & is still hot - becoming a bedroom community for L.A. - used to ride thru there to So. Cal. occasionally, but now it takes to long...either go the high desert thru Adelanto or the boring ole ridge route. Lancaster does have a good Harley shop!

By Tavarua on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 06:14 am: Edit

Also, everyone’s favorite space slave, Brak, does a stunning rendition of “I like beans” and also “You’re Extremely Smart, and I’m Extremely Not.”

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 04:27 am: Edit

Whilst discussing male vocalists of unquestioned talent but unorthodox singing style, has anyone listened to the new Leonard Cohen studio album '10 new songs'?

By Greenhour on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Waits is a lyrical god. "Never saw the east coast, till I moved to the West." Ever heard "Little trip to heaven"? or "Time". The Heart of Saturday night is not to be forgotten. To all the Raindogs out there, saw Tom in LA back in May at the ASCAP awards, he shut the room down! People were amazed and breathless. Listen to all his stuff and see him when you can. The man is a treasure for all of us.
Sleep well dogs,and always sing to the Grapefruit moon.
G

By Aion on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Anyone here who knows Sandy Dillon?
She *IS* *THE* female Tom Waits!!
Her first CD "Electric Chair" is absolutely hot.

Or what about the CD "Temptation", Canadian
jazz singer Holly Cole singing cover versions
of Tom Waits songs? Steamy hot.

Both fuckin´ good stuff!

A.

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Yes, Nighthawks is great.

Barsnake: I used to live in Lancaster, CA (Landscatter? Lancracker?)? How is the high desert to your south these days?

By Etienne on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Oh Geeeze, a sad moment for a fine artiste. The early albums; Double Time, Champagne Charlie.

Strolling on the avenue, white suite, black string tie, walking stick. Being smooth with all the Ladies. Warm elegant evening. Beautiful image.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 07:07 pm: Edit

I mean ALL.

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 07:04 pm: Edit

I like his Tide commercials.

By Etienne on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 07:03 pm: Edit

An inebriated good evening to you all

Nighthawks at the Diner is my favorite.

"Using parking meters as walking sticks"
Been there, done that, got a T-shirt.

Anybody into Leon Redbone?

By Barsnake on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Saw him last year or so at the Wiltern Teatre in L.A.CA. - He said his is the only the band that when asked if somebody brought the fender - they didn't mean a guitar.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 01:45 pm: Edit

For my money, Waits's strongest work is on the soundtrack for "One From The Heart," which is mostly duets with Crystal Gayle (who missed her calling by not being a jazz singer). Some absolutely brilliant lyrics and one of the single best driving-around-with-the-top-down-at-night albums.

Your shovel's a shot glass,
You dig your own hole,
And bury what's left
Of your miserable soul...

By _Blackjack on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Tom Waits's singing is like James Joyce's prose; it sounds like a train wreck at first, until you realize that ever piece of it was meticulously designed to sound exactly like it does.

By Barsnake on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 01:40 pm: Edit

For a Tom Waits primer - start with Nighthawks At The Diner,1975 Elektra/ Asylum Records 2008 and some Rittenhouse Rye. Sit alone in a room and listen to the entire thing start to finish.

- "If I have to explain it - you probably wouldn't understand"

By Petermarc on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 01:39 pm: Edit

i got to break free...

By _Blackjack on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 01:35 pm: Edit

The thing is, with Tom Waits, is that he actually has a good voice, or had, at least. In his younger days he was quite a crooner. Even with his present (partly affected) growl, his pitch and tone are dead-on, and he has an incredible range. The instrument is great; he just plays it funny. Like playing a Stradavarius with barbed-wire.

Tom is in a different category from people like Lou Reed or Johnny Cash or Dylan. They may be able to produce very moving, powerful vocals, but not by actually producing musical tones accurately and consistantly. Tom can actually sing, but his vocal chords are no longer human.

Shane MacGowan is a similar case...

I do find it interesting that we are willing to tolerate bad singing from men more than from women. Think about it: Rex Harrison TALKED his way through "My Fair Lady," hitting maybe 3 real notes the whole movie, but Audrey Hepburn, who was a prety good singer, was dubbed because her voice wasn't strong enough. We let Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Peter O'Toole be in musicals, for gods' sake!

I'm guilty of it too. My record collection is full of Nick Cave and Larry Kirwan and other fair-to-awful male vocalists, but all the FEMALE singers are people like Kate Bush and Etta James and others with not just good voices, but amazing ones. The only really exceptional male singers who's work I own are probably Meatloaf and Freddy Mercury.

By Petermarc on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 01:32 pm: Edit

there's a murder in the red barn...

By Verawench on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Oh, yes, work. I think I should go back to it now.

Ugh... is it Friday yet?

By Maxpower on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 12:51 pm: Edit

thanks head,ill check it out when i get home from work

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Er Doi hey!!!

The link would help, eh?

http://www.ripcat.free-online.co.uk/waitshtml/ericsftpsite.htm

By Verawench on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 12:39 pm: Edit

Don't forget, he can also act.

"Hors d'Oeuvres, Dr. Seward? Canapes?"

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Maxpower, here's an ftp resource for you to get a little more familiar with Tom Waits... Hours of downloading pleasure. I believe there's over 2.2 gigglebites.

Mostly live and unreleased material, in MP3 format.

I was at the Ann Arbor show. You can hear me screaming "PLAY TV PARTY!!! PLAY TV PARTY!!!"

By Maxpower on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 12:30 pm: Edit

its not like i said"eew tom waits,he sucks"i was hoping to get some kind of answer from people who obviously know more about him than i ever would.

By Verawench on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Nothing can equal "Cemetery Polka", or "The One that Got Away" or more recently "What's He Building in There". I want to go live in a universe where Tom Waits is god.

"Well, I wish I was in New Orleans, I can see it in my dreams,
Arm-in-arm down Burgundy, a bottle and my friends and me"

By Bob_Chong on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 11:37 am: Edit

Ah, yes, you've heard one song. So you are well poised to make an empirical judgment on a person's entire body of work. Kudos, Maxpower!

By Heiko on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 11:35 am: Edit

Neil Young is a real phenomenon - he is capable of playing false notes in a way that they sound perfect. Hit the wrong string? Doesn't matter, give it some feeling and vibrato and it sounds great! For other people that isn't true and the wrong note just sounds wrong ;-)

By Maxpower on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 11:30 am: Edit

maybe some one can help me,i just dont get the whole tom waits thing,ive heard many people praise him,but from what i heard,i just dont get it,the only song ive ever heard is "big in japan"and to me he sounds like a drunkard without his dentures trying to sing

By Verawench on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 11:15 am: Edit

I'm sorry, but for methe only brilliant vocalist of the recent decades is Tom Waits.

By Uncle on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 10:43 am: Edit

What about Lou Reed? Im a mild fan ,but he sound like a old women with a head cold.And what about Geddy Lee(rush) that guy..... that fuckin guy!when he sings the fish in the tank stop swimming!

By Chevalier on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 08:59 am: Edit

On the other end of the scale: William Shatner ("Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds")and Leonard Nimoy ("Proud Mary").

By Pataphysician on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 08:01 am: Edit

And as far as that old "Dylan can't sing" chestnut, I could make a mighty long list of genius performers who "can't sing". Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Johnny Rotten, Son House, Neil Young, Muddy Waters, Joe Strummer...

...who could sing their songs "better"?

By Marc on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 05:05 am: Edit

The new Dylan album has some of Bob's sharpest, funniest and most surreal lyrics. Its American music at its most sublime.

By Bob_Chong on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 10:26 pm: Edit

In my college days in N.O., we always jokingly referred to the J.H. Experience as "The World's Tightest Band."

By Thegreenimp on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower, has an interesting history, He did a four track recording, that he never liked, and kept reworking into a twelve track master tape that finally appeared on Electric Ladyland.
The four track made the rounds of collectors for many years till it was released in 1997, many people are of the opinion that the original four track was the best version.
I think it was excellent too, but the mixing sessions are hiliarous, Hendrix screaming at Dave Mason to follow his chord changes right (Dave Mason played the original twelve sting guitar part)......Hendrix was incredibly funny in the studio, had he lived he would have been one of the greatest guest hosts on Saturday Nite Live.
Jay

By Tavarua on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 07:25 pm: Edit

IMP,

Wholeheartedly agree. Dylan is great, but some of his songs are sung better by equally good artists. I grew up on Hendrix's rendition of Watchtower. Naivety is the order of the day, serve me up a warm bowl. I didn't even know that was Dylan's song until I was a sophmore in highschool.

By Head_Prosthesis on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Ok TGI!

What did I do to Jimi in the dream I once had about him???

By Morriganlefey on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 05:58 pm: Edit

As I recall from 'Nawlins, Greenimp is our resident Hendrix Expert. From the exact date & time Jimi lost his virginity to his favorite ice cream flavor, just ask...Jay'll know.

By Thegreenimp on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Personally I've found that Jimi Hendrix often did Dylan better than Dylan himself, witness Dylan using Hendrix's arrangement of All Along the Watchtower........Interestingly Hendrix seems to make Dylan's songs his own, "Like a Rolling Stone", Please Crawl Out Your Window etc.
Jay

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 04:53 pm: Edit

BOR-ING!

By Uncle on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 01:41 pm: Edit

People of letters? Let all say it togther: BALSAC!!!!!!!! It's just fun to say.

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 08:54 am: Edit

Yes.

Bonus question: Identify "The Englishman", "The Italian", and "The Jew". (Hint: "Idiot Wind", "Tombstone Blues", "Desolation Row".)

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 08:33 am: Edit

Is this material on which we will be tested later?

Or a pop quiz on Victorian people of letters?

By Pataphysician on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 07:32 am: Edit

Bob's new album is great. Right now, in this zeitgeist, it's the only music I can bring myself to listen to. Everything else seems, uh, immature.

Metacritic ranked it at 93% ("Universal Acclaim"), which must be the highest rating ever: http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/dylanbob/loveandtheft

Lyric-wise (and performance-wise, for that matter) you could drop several of these songs into the "Highway 61 Revisited" album:

"Well, George Lewes told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open up your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view
They got Charles Darwin trapped out there on Highway 5
Judge says to the High Sheriff, I want him dead or alive
Either one, I don't care
Highwater everywhere"

Vera: I wonder if the Backstreet Boys know this to be true? I wonder if they know who George Lewes was?

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 08:33 pm: Edit

I prefer Dylan Thomas.

Anyway Mr R. is welcome to his new monicker, my compliments. Glad he likes it. "Foam is as foam does."

The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch awaits larger game. Brother Maynard, retire the Book of Armaments to its golded bejewelled chest.

By Adjuster on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 07:05 pm: Edit

I don't think Mr. Dylan's comments are to be construed as positive towards Absinthe, but implying that the great creativity of some of our beloved Absinthe imbibing artists was somehow false. He must still be mad at himself for his H habit. PS: His son ala Wallflowers, is a bigger jerk then the "new" Bob. See "the smoking gun" website for examples. That is if anybody cares!
Mark

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 12:31 pm: Edit

I miss him too. I don't know if it's me not keeping up, but each one of his albums I seem to like less than the one before.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 11:52 am: Edit

Hey The-Artist-Formerly-Known-As-Mr. Rabbit,

Let's hope that Don ("Walsh Witman") didn't copyright your new name. If yes, it's the Holy Hand Grenade for you!

(I miss the absinthe bottle-dragging version of Dylan, wherever he is.)

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 11:14 am: Edit

Don's in the basement, mixin up the medicine!

By Verawench on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 11:14 am: Edit

"It's me using everything I know to be true."

Same as the Backstreet Boys, Bob!

By Chevalier on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 10:53 am: Edit

From USA TODAY, September 10:

These days Bob Dylan laughs easily ... His 43rd album, "Love and Theft," is due out tomorrow, September 11.

"I've never recorded an album with more autobiographical songs," he says. "This is the way I really feel about things. It's not me dragging around a bottle of absinthe and coming up with Baudelairean poems. It's me using everything I know to be true."

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation