Monter Absinth(e)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Monter Absinth(e)
By Heiko on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 05:40 pm: Edit

I don't know exactly if the company has a tradition in making absinthe - I have to look for the mail I got from the reseller. He seems to be more of an expert on cognac (the site is www.calvados.de) but he wrote what the producer of Monter had told him. I think they said the recipe was an old recipe from grandpa (we know that, well - but at least they say they are still using a still from the 1920's).

I guess there might have been some schnapps recipes using wormwood in Germany - only now they call it absinthe, which it doesn't really seem to be. Of course they tell the story of Hemmingway and Picasso and artists and Fée Verte and so on on the back label. And they propose to mix it with champagne and throw burning sugar into the mix...

By Marc on Saturday, October 06, 2001 - 04:04 am: Edit

It is also known in some circles as "Monter Mash,
the graveyard smash".

By Tabreaux on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 07:20 am: Edit

It would appear to be a schnapps with added extract of wormwood.

By Geoffk on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 06:58 am: Edit

Don't forget "Absinthe" just means "wormwood" in french--it doesn't have to refer to the classic drink. Maybe the absinthe in the title is just referring to the herb A.A., which apparently is present.

-- Geoff K.

By Absinthedrinker on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 03:53 am: Edit

Heiko - Do you know whether this absinthe comes from a company with a tradition of making absinthe?

By Heiko on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 02:43 am: Edit

I just got a bottle of "Monter Absinth" - it is made by a German distillery and it is obviously distilled. But... it's not really absinthe in my opinion except that it contains art.(?) absinthium.
No doubt, it is a good quality spirit, it might even be naturally colored (even the 44% alcohol content and the clear-glass bottle don't really emphasize that thought...).

But, well ... it tastes like Williams with wormwood. It has the typical aroma of a German schnapps, pear schnapps to be exact. As such it is not bad - tasted neat it is really good, even there's almost a little too much sugar which is present to cover the bitterness of the wormwood which is also almost a little too much. Almost, I say, not extremely. It is not as sweet as Chartreuse, that's for sure (luckily!).
You can dilute it with water, about 1:1 or even 2:1 - the aroma is rather intense so it doesn't get watery instantly. But don't expect it to louche, I think it contains absolutely no anise.

If you ask me, it might as well be pure pear schnapps colored and scented with roman wormwood or even grande wormwood AFTER distillation (as I said, it is rather bitter...).

All in all a nice bitter/schnapps, it doesn't taste chemical or 'raw' like the czech brands, it has a round flavor with some flaws (like a little too much bitterness and a little too much sugar) and it isn't absinthe in my book.
Absinthe for me should contain at least some anise and I want to be able to dilute it 4:1 or even more to get a refreshing drink.

Sorry I can't take any pictures of the bottle right now, I'm going to do that as soon as my equipment is ready again (my graphics adapter seems to be fucked up and that also involves the tv-tuner card which I must use to capture pictures from a camcorder)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation