Antiqueing

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Antiqueing
By Timk on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 05:02 pm: Edit

"(My antiquing dream is to stumble upon an estate sale where the seller says "oh, that funny spoon? Can't find a use for it, don't know what it's for - you can have it for $5 bucks. Wishful thinking at most..")

Mine is to stumble on an old wine merchants cellar,

"Oh, that crate of, old pernod, dont know where that came from, you can have it for £50£

By Verawench on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 03:18 pm: Edit

It's a double edged sword. Absinthe's obscurity meant inaccessability as well as fewer people taking a shot at making a new quality product available. At the same time, wider interest in the subject = watered down/mistaken perception, climbing prices, etc.

By Tavarua on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 12:41 pm: Edit

I am not sure if I should feel excitement or disdain for this new found interest the public has found in Absinthe. I can’t really feel disgust though because I have only taken to it about ten months ago myself. I did have a short romance with it many years ago, as the subject would constantly come up in low key surfing publications, but that was more of a passing fascination. Also, at this time it, was only accessible to those that lived in or passed through Spain.

By Admin on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Oh, yeah! Didn't mean to write you off Justin. hehe.

There is a shop here in San Francisco that carries a nice small selection of spoons and glassware. Or there used to be, haven't been in quite awhile. But, like Lucullus, no bargains to be had there.

'99 was probably the best year for the average collector, who doesn't go out of their way to get good stuff with good prices. There were still lots of nuggets on ebay and euro dealers were forthcoming and friendly. (they still are. heee.)

By Chrysippvs on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 12:20 pm: Edit

I still deal in antiques acutally..and rarer absinthes that I dig up.

As far as finding stuff stateside..good luck. I have found a Pernod Bottle in MS and I am sure it was from the pastis period. Not even in NOLA have I found indigenous stuff...all of Lucullus' stuff is imported and boy are they proud of it.

I am sure you can dig up some stuff but it would be mislabeled and or really exspensive.

I know that Oxygenee has obtained a spoon made in the US back in the day but that is all I have seen as far as US absinthe items. Americans have not and do not really have a palate for anise so it will be hard. From what I understand even in France things are getting tight...

By Admin on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Quote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1011247584

Ha! Nice pie shovels. Dang.

Strange, nearly all the original decent vendors who were selling online have sinced moved on to greener pastures, Frenchman (who only sell's his lovely repro's now), la Vannoir (or I can't find them), Chrys, Ian at Absinthe Collectibles ...

I'm sure glad I got my shopping in during the glut.

So, who's left? Ian/AbsintheDrinker and Betina also sells some collectibles. Anyone else?

By Tavarua on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 11:31 am: Edit

I would like a nice glass, from aroung the turn of the century, preferably French, preferably made for Absinthe. However, it has been said that no glass was particularly made for Absinthe, more that, certain styles have likely been adopted by those who used to drink it. And that those are the ones that are reproduced today, and those vintage styles are collected. I may have misunderstood, but that is how I understand it. Or possibly, this may have been the case at first, and then companies starting producing absinthe sets shortly after. I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will tell me.

"(My antiquing dream is to stumble upon an estate sale where the seller says "oh, that funny spoon? Can't find a use for it, don't know what it's for - you can have it for $5 bucks. Wishful thinking at most..")

Looks like someone beat you to it. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1011247584

That is, if you were looking for a Vintage wine set.;-)

By Morriganlefey on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 10:41 am: Edit

Tav -

If you are speaking of TRUE belle-epoche absinthe drinking sets and other such periphenalia, the only items you will find "stateside" will be those imported and brought in from Europe (usually France) by absintheurs or collectors. Few were made locally.

I'm a bit of a "junker" (antique hound) and have had some luck finding real antique spoons and saucers here in the San Francisco area. You are more likely to find them in the more bohemian cities where absinthe was popular at the turn of the century (like San Fran & New Orleans to name a few). The problem with finding antiques in these areas is that the dealers usually know what they are and know their value - you'll pay a pretty penny. (My antiquing dream is to stumble upon an estate sale where the seller says "oh, that funny spoon? Can't find a use for it, don't know what it's for - you can have it for $5 bucks. Wishful thinking at most..)

If you are simply looking for antique glasswares that are lovely and suitable for the absinthe ritual (ie that a spoon will fit on) but that are not 'actual' absinthe glasses, you can certainly find plenty, especially in a glass-blowing capita such as yours. There are some very nice post-ban pastis glasses from the 1920's around, and much cheaper. Just bring a spoon to make sure it fits.

Happy hunting,
- Morrigan

By Tavarua on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 08:45 am: Edit

I have a general question for everyone out there. Are there any stateside collectors that have had luck hunting vintage Absinthe items. I am not sure what kind of collector I would make, but would like to give it a shot. I do live in an area that actually has a very rich history of glass-blowing, would this make a difference? I would especially be interested in hearing from those that live the DE, NJ, PA, Tri-State area. But would also know what others have found in other parts of the country. And maybe some tips on locating these items.

This has been in the back of me mind for a while now, but was turned off to it after a supposed collection of N.O. spoons deal never panned out for me. Time to get back on the horse. I was going to bid on that vintage “absinthe” set, that was on ebay, just for those nice, crystal swirl glasses. I have been told that they are probably not for absinthe, but they were nice, and the price on the set was ridiculously low for what appeared to be genuinely vintage set of glass. Does anyone know what that set ended at?

Tav.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation