Happy Birthday to you, Alfred Jarry

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Thru December 2001: Happy Birthday to you, Alfred Jarry
By Pataphysician on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 03:09 pm: Edit

I failed to mention Jarry's persuasive essay on the moral imperative of necrophilia. Another classic.

By Bjacques on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 12:32 pm: Edit

His "Song of the Disembraining" (at the end of Ubu Roi) is on my top 10. I haven't heard any decent attempt to set it to music, but a jaunty march would do.

By Perruche_Verte on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 11:52 am: Edit

Thanks for all the info, Pataphysician.

Quite a charming machine from the looks of it, but it requires an awful lot of ebony, which I'm sure wasn't cheap even in Jarry's day, when IIUC, there were far more extensive stands of it to be had in colonial Africa.

Hmm, maybe a mouse or hamster-sized model? Of course the mind control implants for the mouse wouldn't be cheap, either.

By Verawench on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Rrrr... love the overalls, sugarbuns.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 02:46 pm: Edit

Uncle,

Give peace a chance.
All you need is Love.
Happiness is a warm jar of joy jelly.

Head_prosthesis

By Verawench on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 01:24 pm: Edit

"Yes, ms.vera we are alive. But im no longer go to fly you in for Head's B-day party! And you can consider you self off my X-mas card list!Good day to you madam!!!"

Wtf?

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 01:14 pm: Edit

>The description of the machine looks a lot like the one in the movie version of H.G. Wells novel.

>Now, who copied whom?

Jarry was inspired by Wells' sketchy description to come up with a "practical construction" and published it in a journal the same year.

By Uncle on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 11:12 am: Edit

Yes, ms.vera we are alive. But im no longer go to fly you in for Head's B-day party! And you can consider you self off my X-mas card list!Good day to you madam!!! Uncle G

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 10:55 am: Edit

The description of the machine looks a lot like the one in the movie version of H.G. Wells novel.

Now, who copied whom?

By Pataphysician on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 10:47 am: Edit

Here's the instructions on how to build your own time machine:

http://hamp.hampshire.edu/~ngzF92/jarrypub/works/time.html

By Chevalier on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 09:24 am: Edit

So, Absinthedrinker, how is next week going to be? Any good stock tips for us? Who'll win the horseraces? What'll be cooking in the Absinthe Forum?

By Absinthedrinker on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 09:17 am: Edit

The time machine was in fact finished next week and Peter and I took it to Pontarlier for this weekend's festival (which was great by the way). I left Peter there to finish writing up his report and popped back to fetch some samples of vintage absinthe which would not have been at the festival. Unfortunately I can't go into further details without creating a temporal anomaly.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 09:11 am: Edit

Please note that Opal machine is in no way related to Opal automobiles.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 09:05 am: Edit

Rumor is that he's still working on that time machine, somewhere in Asia. It's called Opal machine. Some of the forumites have taken the prototype for a spin. Should be ready soon, though with the war and all, you never know.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, October 09, 2001 - 08:25 am: Edit

Jarry created a time machine so we could go back in time to drink vintage absinthe...

By Absinthedrinker on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Check out http://www.gatzke.org/saaj.htm

L'Étoile Absinthe - La Société des Amis d'Alfred Jarry

By Verawench on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Damnit, Doc, this place has been dead enough as it is... Come on, amuse us with some drunken tomfoolery.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Sorry, Vera, just kidding.

Something went wrong, I had so much of (if I might say so) some good absinthe, I'm pretty pissed of.

I'm out-posting myself for the night.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 08:53 pm: Edit

"Dr. Anacephelius Brom disputed the measure by percentage altogether, preferring instead to construe from various factors what he referred to as the Louche Curve - plotting thujone content per undiluted ounce of vintage Paranoid Fils times years since Jarry's untimely demise versus relative popularity of absinthe at a given time (popularity = availability of overprices antiques x custom threats from vendors squared to the level of Sepulchritude Forum activity). "

Vera, stop being so scientific. You sound like Ted or Aion.

By Verawench on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Pfft... SPOPAJ was run by philistine beaurocrats, hellbent on washing shit stains from French intellectualism! If they could prove that Jarry was within redemption's reach, they could do the same with any notorious but brilliant figure!
In fact, a little known court case has Brom taking SPOPAJ to court over misprint of his data on the common link between sensory affinity for human feces and anise.

By Mr_Rabid on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 08:07 pm: Edit

His data were suspect, as he received his funding from the Society for the Promotion Of the Idea of the Popularity of Alfred Jarry, or SPOPAJ as they are more commonly known (at least they were, before their dissolution in the wake of the Spanish civil war.)

By Verawench on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Fools!

Dr. Anacephelius Brom disputed the measure by percentage altogether, preferring instead to construe from various factors what he referred to as the Louche Curve - plotting thujone content per undiluted ounce of vintage Paranoid Fils times years since Jarry's untimely demise versus relative popularity of absinthe at a given time (popularity = availability of overprices antiques x custom threats from vendors squared to the level of Sepulchritude Forum activity).

By Mr_Rabid on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Liar!

Everyone knows that figure was discredited by the work of Baron Von Weisenheim in 1925.

84%, or I'll be damned!

By Pataphysician on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 05:39 pm: Edit

87%

By Verawench on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 03:40 pm: Edit

I wonder how much of absinthe's modern day notoriety we owe to Mr. Jarry's hysterics.

By Verawench on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 03:38 pm: Edit

"Both like to drink and are dead.Imagine....."

That's hardly enough to establish a pattern.

We're all alive, are we not? Are we not?

By Mr_Rabid on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Happy Birthday Vera, and to Pere Ubu too!

And to Charles Aadams, even though it isn't his birthday, for that really boss cover he did on the new Ray Bradbury book.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Quote:

"OHHHH!!!!

JOHNNY WAS A GOD!!!

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Quote:

" OHHHHHHH!!!!! Ya' GOTTA sing Happy Birthday ta' Johnny!!!

Oh ya' gotta'!!!

Alfred Jarry was a bum! "

The Big Laboda

By Uncle on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 02:45 pm: Edit

It'a also John Lennon's B-day as well. Lennon like Alfie Jarry was a man who went agains the norm.Both like to drink and are dead.Imagine......

By Pataphysician on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 02:39 pm: Edit

W.C. Fields: "You're an idiot!"
Prudish Man: "And you, sir, are a drunk!"
W.C. Fields: "Yes, but in the morning I'll be sober and you'll still be an idiot."

By Pataphysician on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 02:31 pm: Edit

The man in question.
Look into my eyes!

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Head,

At my local pub they have accredited the quote to James Dean. It does sound more like Dean Martin though. I reckon they were shit-faced drunk when they painted the quote. I'll have words with them.

Pata,

Thanks for you info on Alfred Jarry. He sounds like the Wino's Jesus Christ. I'd really never heard of him outside this forum.

Hobgoblin

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 01:51 pm: Edit

JARRY JARRY JARRY!!!

Hail KING TURD!!!

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 01:50 pm: Edit

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they wake up
in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-- Frank Sinatra, singer/actor

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Quote:

"I feel sorry for teetotalers, when they look in the mirror in the morning they know that that's the best they'll look all day." : James Dean

I looked this up only because I recently heard this as a quote by Dean Martin, however, the majority of sites on the internet credit Frank Sinatra.

But who really gives a damn?

By Pataphysician on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Alfred Jarry (1873-1907) was the most dedicated Absinthe drinker of all time. He considered Absinthe a necessary substance for life and drank it from the minute he woke up. He never mixed it with water ...never touched water at all. Absinthe made him "eccentric to the point of mania and lucid to the point of hallucination." In addition, he was an artist, playwrite, novelist, publisher, critic, scientist and bicycle racer.

His most famous creation was the character Pere Ubu, the obnoxious main character in the play Ubu Roi. The 1896 play, which began with the word "Shit!" and degenerated from there, caused riots. His novels included "Ceasar Antichrist", "The Supermale" who rides a bike at 300 kilometres an hour with the help of Perpetual Motion Food (alcohol and strychnine) and has sex 82 times in succession, and "Exploits and Opinions of Doctor Faustroll, Pataphysician" which set forth Pataphysics: "the science of imaginary solutions and laws governing exceptions." In the field of science, Jarry invented a time machine, wrote the mathematical theorem that explained God, and was the first to theorize Anti-Matter. He was a major influence on the later Dada and Surrealist movements. Yeats dubbed him "The Savage God."

He was 5 feet tall and lived on a specially constructed "second and a half floor" of his building. He ate his meals backwards, dessert first. He was extremely intelligent and ill-tempered, and had a stare that could freeze a man in his tracks. He carried a rifle on the streets of Paris which he used to ward off strangers and when biking used a pistol to announce his approach to pedestrians. He spoke in a high-pitched staccato monotone. He called his bicycle "that which rolls", fish "that which swims", etc. He died of alcoholism at the age of 34. With his last breath he said "Bring me a toothpick".

He did indeed paint himself green in order to freak out his friends at the bar, but someone warned them first so they pretended that nothing was out of the ordinary.

By Verawench on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 11:42 am: Edit

And, along with Wilde, Rimbaud and myself, his birthday happens to be in the month of October.

Those libras... I tell ya.

By Verawench on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 11:41 am: Edit

Alfred Jarry was a 19th century bicycle fetishist and world-renouned scatologist.

By Perruche_Verte on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 11:24 am: Edit

Proto-Dada playwright, author of Ubu Roi and other works. Absinthe enthusiast, well beyond the level of most of us here; he reportedly drank it straight, and didn't I hear he painted himself green on at least one occasion?

By Blygdon on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 11:24 am: Edit

Hobgoblin...

www.dogpile.com

do a search and discover. If you were just given the answers, where would man's quest for knowledge be?

Pataphysician, you're in the best position to answer. Have at it.

Hobgoblin, I'm as tiresome as the next person. Although, Vera's been really really funny to read lately.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 11:09 am: Edit

"I feel sorry for teetotalers, when they look in the mirror in the morning they know that that's the best they'll look all day." : James Dean

(quoted very badly but I couldn't be bothered searching for to get the exact wording)

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 11:06 am: Edit

Please, who the hell is Alfred Jarry. I've no idea. I presume from the postings on the forum that he was/is an alchoholic and a cult icon. Is he a cross between Ernest Hemmingway, Jack Kerouac and Charlie Parker? Who the fuck is he?

Hobgoblin

By Pataphysician on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 10:08 am: Edit

"Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so solvent and corrosive that out of all substances, it has been chosen for washing and scourings, and a drop of water, added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddies it." - Alfred Jarry

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation